uniqs

Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

Gearing for PvP

So, I wanted to see yalls progression for PvP.

I was planning on BGs for Dreadful. Is it worth upgrading them?

Are BGs the best way to get conquest points? I can't arena right now. I feel like arenas shouldmatch you on gear score, not team rating.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain

I'm pretty sure RBGs are the best way to increase your cap.

Getting the max amount of Conquest from 2s is probably the easiest way to get close to your cap, then BG the rest...I'm assuming you don't have the rating at the moment to have a cap higher than the base.

Edit: Even though I haven't played my toon since mid-December, my average item level is 488 and I have zero PvP gear...I'm pretty sure I'd get merked by some guy that's 488 in all PvP gear in an arena. So, yeah...that gear score idea isn't a good one.

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

Do you get conquest from losing 2s? Because my 3s team got repeated smooshings from malevolent teams last night and I received zero conquest.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie to Savious

Premium Member

to Savious
I started to get pretty serious about PvP on my warrior, I made the crafted set and after a couple nights of BGs I reached 400 Conquest points and enough honor to buy back and neck pieces (2500?) and almost ready for my fist ring.

My goals is to get all the offset pieces with honor and save the conquest for the set (legs, gloves, shoulders, chest).

If we get enough traction we can get a really nice group within the guild to do good stuff.
Jobbie

Jobbie to Savious

Premium Member

to Savious
said by Savious:

Do you get conquest from losing 2s? Because my 3s team got repeated smooshings from malevolent teams last night and I received zero conquest.

We tried that last night, you get no points from loses and with no gear is going to be rough in arena so your best bet is to do the call to arms bg. Last night was the little mogo arena and it takes like 10 mins tops.
Jobbie

Jobbie

Premium Member

The thing I just realized and love about PvP is that there is zero reliance on RNG and the gatings are not bad and they will be a lot better with the next patch, you go in kill stuff win/lose and when you have enough points you buy your upgrade.
Arsinic
join:2011-02-17
Ruffs Dale, PA

Arsinic

said by Jobbie:

The thing I just realized and love about PvP is that there is zero reliance on RNG ...

Fear pathing...

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

said by Arsinic:

said by Jobbie:

The thing I just realized and love about PvP is that there is zero reliance on RNG ...

Fear pathing...

I don't know man, after burning coin after coin on LFR and gearing toons in heroics it is a nice change of pace.

Also seeing an "avatar active" warrior running towards a clothie feels really badass, until you realize is a shadow priest and kicks the shit out of you.

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

Lothario

I need to start gearing my priest. I keep getting ganked by them while levelling.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain to Savious

to Savious
Do you guys not have contacts in game that can/will carry you to a 2s cap?

You just need to win like 10 games. Try it towards the end of the week when everyone in there sucks.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

said by McBrain:

Do you guys not have contacts in game that can/will carry you to a 2s cap?

You just need to win like 10 games. Try it towards the end of the week when everyone in there sucks.

I don't and I don't want to pay 2k gold per win with the farmers.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

I guess I was lucky...

When I was on KJ there was a drug addicted BM Hunter that would basically solo me to my cap on Mondays before my priest was geared.

I would literally hear him tell Drlocktopus to just hide the entire match sometimes.

Once I got my gear, he and I would crush people as sPriest + BM.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

I wish I had a friend geared like that, there are some people that are pvp oriented in the guild but I always put the effort to get started. It is a whole different world.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

Upgrading your Dreadful is worth it once you have all your pieces, which is doable in a weekend. In the battlegroup Mal'Ganis is in (the same one that I am in with the Sargeras server), you all, as Horde, should have a relatively easier/quicker time getting honor, as Alliance just seem to only be able to do the zerg BGs effectively (Isle of Conquest and Alterac Valley).

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

I saw that last night, It didn't took too long to grab two pieces and specially on a thursday.

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

My plan is to run the instance that drops the epic hunter weeapon daily and then bg the rest. Ill always hit you up from now on jobbie, well get our gear on soon =).

bTU
join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO

bTU to Savious

to Savious
Once you get all your honor gear you should be able to find a low MMR RBG group either on the forums or openraids.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie to Savious

Premium Member

to Savious
said by Savious:

My plan is to run the instance that drops the epic hunter weeapon daily and then bg the rest. Ill always hit you up from now on jobbie, well get our gear on soon =).

Sounds good to me.

Cptnbeastix and I have been running bgs with his rogue, your hunter will be a great addition, we can probably get Jehid n' Co.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Savious

Premium Member

to Savious
I don't even...
said by Savious:

Is it worth upgrading them?

Only upgrade your honor gear if you're capped and you have full honor gear already. To spell it out further, if you have contenders gear on still, DON'T upgrade dreadful gear until PvE/Contender's are replaced.

Furthermore, Malevolent gear will be purchaseable with honor in 5.2. So I wouldn't put too much of a honor grind in for Dreadful gear right now.
said by Savious:

Are BGs the best way to get conquest points?

No... BG's only give conquest for a win, and they give very little. Your fastest way to cap Conquest is winning arena games. Second best is RBG's, but if you have 0 CR you'll have a hard time not only getting into groups, but also winning.
said by Savious:

I feel like arenas shouldmatch you on gear score, not team rating.

No... just no...

It doesn't match you on team rating, but on an internal match making rating (MMR). Once you play a few games, it will put you against similar skilled/geared players. But if can't automatically know where to place you without seeing who you win/lose against.

If you beat a 1400 team, but lose to a 1700 team, in theory it puts you against a 1500-1600 team.

If you have a 1400 MMR and lose to a 1900 team, you'll lose virtually no points.

If you have a 1900 MMR and lose to a 1400 team, you'll lose a lot of points....

Eventually you'll hit a 50/50 win/loss and be at your true MMR which is where the system believes your skill/gear is at.

It's actually quite effective, however frustrating it may be.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

When do you think 5.2 will hit? I think we are safe to go for Dreadful off set pieces like neck rings trinkets?

Right now I don't see to much problem capping honor over a weekend.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

said by Jobbie:

When do you think 5.2 will hit?

Two weeks.
said by Jobbie:

I think we are safe to go for Dreadful off set pieces like neck rings trinkets?

Of course. If you're honor capped, spend it. Don't let it go wasted. However I do suggest trying to be at 4k honor when patch drops to have a head start. Outside of that, spend whatever.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

Ok, I will one week away from WoW so that will give me one more week to get offset and cap honor to start getting the Malevolent pieces.

Bodybagger
Premium Member
join:2010-03-30
Saint Matthews, SC

Bodybagger

Premium Member

My GF and I run BGs all the time.. already decked and just do it for fun. We also have a few guildies that run and we usually have some spots. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM. We're on Shadowmoon but I think you can still queue cross server BGs.

Edit - Alliance that is...
Cows
join:2010-02-27

Cows to Jobbie

to Jobbie
Also as of 5.2 the dreadful gear will be crafted. So if your not doing arena's now and capping conquest the best way to get an advantage is:
Get 4k honor buy item say ring
Get 4k honor again upgrade ring
repeat this with all the off set items as once 5.2 hits the upgrade system is gone so that way your offset items are just below Malv. Then when 5.2 hits you can buy the crafted set items with gold and then buy the Malv weap with honor.
Then you will be able to kill stuff in 2s in the first week, you will still be behind but not giant amount like now. You will still need to grind out honor to get full malv fast as most ppl already have that.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

said by Cows:

Also as of 5.2 the dreadful gear will be crafted. So if your not doing arena's now and capping conquest the best way to get an advantage is:
Get 4k honor buy item say ring
Get 4k honor again upgrade ring
repeat this with all the off set items as once 5.2 hits the upgrade system is gone so that way your offset items are just below Malv. Then when 5.2 hits you can buy the crafted set items with gold and then buy the Malv weap with honor.
Then you will be able to kill stuff in 2s in the first week, you will still be behind but not giant amount like now. You will still need to grind out honor to get full malv fast as most ppl already have that.

Nice adivce.
Jobbie

Jobbie to Bodybagger

Premium Member

to Bodybagger
said by Bodybagger:

My GF and I run BGs all the time.. already decked and just do it for fun. We also have a few guildies that run and we usually have some spots. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM. We're on Shadowmoon but I think you can still queue cross server BGs.

Edit - Alliance that is...

I only have a shaman and DK on alliance side, how is elemental doing now days?
Cows

Cows

ele with gear hit like a truck.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

Need moar time....
Cows

Cows to Jobbie

to Jobbie
I found my dk was pretty fun to grind honor with as frost does a ton of AOE and single target dmg. Also in a group i am seldom the first targeted.
Miscer
join:2010-01-28
Fountain, CO

Miscer to Savious

to Savious
My Unholy DK is in a pretty good place for not doing RBG and arena. Fully upgraded dread/gemmed/enchants with three pieces of Mal plus sha-weapon. Usually top three in damage.

The ele shaman is finally in full dread with mal ring. Only have the 463 crafted healer shield and green 429 mace though. I'm still getting blown up quite a bit and my dps isn't that great. Fire mages, rogues, warriors, kittys counter me hard. I'm stacking resil as much as I can, just under 60%currently.

The blanket silence nerf will be a welcoming gift though.