spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

droosk

join:2013-01-25

[CenturyTel] High pings and jitter - Phoenix

In the past week, I've seen a significant increase to both pings and jitter. This is resulting in slower page loads, and gaming issues.

Anyone else in the Phoenix area seeing this?

emig5m

join:2004-02-16
Columbia, NJ

I'm not in the Phoenix area but it's the same here in northern NJ.

janusz61

join:2013-01-26
Newton, NJ

same here in Newton NJ,bad bad pings since Jan 25th.Any ideas what's going on?

mooch
No Booing Allowed

join:2001-11-11
Dublin, OH
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..

On 12/30, my connection went down for a few hours and when it came back up that evening, my pings have been double what they had been. For the last year, pings had been a consistent 40ms and now it's been 80ms ever since 12/30. Even when my speeds went belly up, I could at least depend on pings being consistent. Well actually, I guess they're "consistent" now... unfortunately, they're consistently 100% worse than they had ever been.

Speeds have been ultra flaky since 12/30 also. I'm sure Centurylink knows what's causing this but we'll never know. I figure it's a 50/50 chance that Centurylink's DSL service will get better at some point...but then it's also 50/50 that it'll get even worse.

emig5m

Columbia, NJ
reply to janusz61

said by janusz61:

Any ideas what's going on?

Yea, I'll tell you what's going on, it's a piece of crap company oversubscribing on ancient crap technology with crappy backbone peering or not buying enough peering bandwidth. Some CEO must of needed a new Ferrari for one of the kids to not pay for enough bandwidth for it's paying customers...

On a lighter note... It's so bad right now webpages barely want to load and speed tests shrug at 1/10th the speed I'm paying for. Oh and servers I normally ping in the 16 to 28ms range are at almost 300ms right now. This is what happens when there's no competition and they're the only game in most towns. $95 a month for a crappy 8Mbit line...give me a break. Let's see, from Comcasts website you can get 50Mbit for $50 which is 6.25 faster at $45 a month cheaper. And for the outrageous price the little 8Mbit line can't even perform...

Slylok

@embarqhsd.net

Same here in SW VA.. From 1pm - 12am the service in nearly unusable. Not sure if its congestion , bad routing or what but it is pretty tiresome having to deal with it especially when it lasts ALL DAY EVERYDAY!

greyclear

@centurytel.net
reply to droosk

The internet here in Missouri I am about an hour north of St Louis has been showing signs of latency issues for several months now and ironically I was searching for anything that might be able to help me and some how ended here. In the month of December I recently moved a dedicated server for a client from Chicago to Phoenix... the rate was cheaper. Unfortunately during the evening hours talking to that server in AZ is dreadful. If I want to download anything off of that server I will have to wait till morning, in the evening I will get 24kb/sec rate compared to the 1.2megs/sec rate I am currently subscribed with. Now my clients are complaining that their email software freezes up when navigating through email and and occasionally I have a problem to during the day and at night I don't bother with email as it won't sync. Ironically all that is offered here is centuryltel internet and contacting them to say your service is having a problem would be a futile effort.

During the night netflix won't buffer HD it will stop and starts at a lower resolution, I don't bother playing games online either. How unfortunate that my only internet provider costs me almost as much as a dedicated server and to keep my clients happy I will have to move them and eat the costs myself.

So I can't imagine what it is like for you in AZ but believe me in St. Louis it is no different.

emig5m

Columbia, NJ
reply to droosk

My area appears fixed. Thank god I don't have to stay up until 12am just to play a game! (I did call in to complain)

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7
reply to droosk

Hi Droosk and everyone!

My name is Rich and I am part of the CenturylinkHelp Team in our executive offices. Saw your posts and connection concerns and would like to offer you all assistance. Please send us an email to TalkToUs@Centurylink.com with the following:

Name:
Email:
Phone:

Account #:
Account Email:
Billing Name:
Billing Address 1:
Billing Address 2:
Billing State:
Billing Zip

Reference this post or DSLreports and your username on the forum here and we can get busy with fixing your service lines.

»bit.ly/TALKTOUS or TalkToUs@Centurylink.com

Thanks,
Rich
Centurylink Help Team

Leviathan

join:2012-09-02
Bremen, IN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Mediacom
reply to droosk

Northern Indiana here. Pay roughly $70/month for 4mbps down. Past 18 months or so, between 3pm-1am, connection is pretty much useless for today's "normal" use. When the connection is fine - »speedtest.net/result/2478910289.png and when the connection is bad - »speedtest.net/result/2434047136.png Just some examples. Took 12 months for CL to admit the bandwidth exhaustion. Each call to tech support, get told the Estimated Time of Resolution has been pushed back over and over again. Find it a bit hard to believe it takes 6 months to install new Remote Terminals or replace old equipment but I guess I'm wrong.

My question to those experiencing similar connection issues, does it happen around the same time every day or is it at random? If around same time every day, would guess same as here, bandwidth exhaustion. if so, good luck getting them to admit to it. Like I stated previously, took 12 months of dozens of calls each month till they finally owned up to what was wrong.