share rss forum feed

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

Bring on the Streisand Effect

I don't think Aereo will succeed - industry has way too much to lose from so many angles, and Diller's clever technical legal argument will be squashed like a bug, no matter how much merit the actual idea of competitive OTT/IPTV might have.

But CBS is only bringing attention to the plight of the "underdog" here, by trying to ignore them.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

I worry too, however I remember back in the day when Netflix started sending DVD in the mail that people said that would never succeed. Last time I checked Hollywood Video and Blockbuster were single-handedly killed by Netflix...

Aereo's disruptive piece of technology isn't even spoken about, but the real killer is that they have the DVR (time shifting) in the cloud, and that is going to pillage all the box pushers in the next 5 years (sorry Arris), and at which time it won' t matter WHAT the content people say, the genie will be out of the bottle in the cloud. Boxee is trying the same thing, except they bent over and are taking it in the *** by the content owners. A sure way to die. They also continually screw their install base.

I also like their antenna thingy, but that is not a long term strategy anyways. I don't see free OTA making it through the next decade...

Bootes
Premium
join:2005-01-28
New York, NY
reply to elray

I see them making an agreement where Aereo starts paying fees per viewer similar to the cable companies. Then Aereo turns into the first internet cable company and starts picking up other cable channels as well, which I'm pretty sure is exactly what they would like to be.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to elray

What Aereo needs to do is to start cutting deals with any programmers they can, be it niche cable/sat channels that can't get good carriage agreements from the big cable companies, foreign channels that want to enter the market, independent producers, and even smaller OTA TV stations that want carriage into a market. Tell these guys that, if they'll agree to waive carriage fees and allow Aereo to insert ads in any local ad slots the channels provide, Aereo will agree to make their service available for free to consumers for a specified amount of time, say maybe five years. Then either distribute via Roku or, if that doesn't work out, build their own similar streaming box.

Yes, caps will be an issue for heavy viewers, but that's something that the cable companies and telcos are going to have to defend someday, either in court or in the court of public opinion, and I suspect it's an issue they'd rather not have to air out in public. But, at any rate, if Aereo goes this route, and if it can build an even decent selection of programming, it will serve to really pull away the budget-conscious TV households.

At that point, the big programmers may have wished they'd left them along or gotten on the bandwagon.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to Bootes

said by Bootes:

I see them making an agreement where Aereo starts paying fees per viewer similar to the cable companies. Then Aereo turns into the first internet cable company and starts picking up other cable channels as well, which I'm pretty sure is exactly what they would like to be.

Again, i doubt they will succeed, as industry isn't likely to be caught snoozing, and Aereo doesn't have the 11-figure deep pockets necessary to bribe its way through network resistance.

But USDTV and Sezmi actually did manage to get a dozen cable channels to sell to them before they imploded, so it isn't impossible.