uniqs
share rss forum feed

EdmondsFios

join:2010-09-02
Edmonds, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

[TV] Fios TV Franchise Agreement

Does anyone know what the expiration date is for the franchise agreement with Snohomish County, WA? I am thinking of buying another Tivo but will hold off if the commitment is not for a long time as I would go to satellite if needed.

I am only concerned with the Television franchise.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

Some quick Googling seems to indicate that the franchise is managed by the Snohomish County Council »www1.co.snohomish.wa.us/Departments/Council/

Might be quickest just to contact them directly.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

EdmondsFios

Edmonds, WA

Thanks. I tried to call them but no one could answer my question. I sent an email to them and hopefully, someone who knows the answer will respond.

EdmondsFios

Edmonds, WA

Frontier provides the county's phone number to call on their bill. I called and reached an answering machine. I left a message requesting the information but I haven't heard back yet.

Melakion

join:2009-06-25
Marysville, WA
reply to EdmondsFios

»www.mrsc.org/subjects/telecomm/c···vpg.aspx has the City of Marysville's agreement with Verizon, it lists a 12 year term from 2008. I would assume Edmond's is similar.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

I suspect it depends if the local franchise authority just transferred the existing agreement (e.g. Verizon's 12-year term) or if a new agreement was put in place.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

EdmondsFios

Edmonds, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Melakion

Thanks to Melakion. Edmonds was part of the same consortium that Marysville was and approval would have been the same.

Darcilicious: The existing agreement was transferred.

Thanks for the help. Now I can decide on the Tivo as it looks good for at least five years.

wesm
Premium
join:1999-07-29
Redmond, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

In case you want them, here is the original franchise agreement as Ordinance 3693:

»www.edmondswa.gov/images/COE/Gov···3693.pdf

The term began on August 8th, 2008 and is a 15-year agreement.

Ordinance 3763 consented to the change of ownership and transfer of the franchise to Frontier:

»www.ci.edmonds.wa.us/Ordinances/···3763.pdf

According to the terms of both of these, the franchisee (Verizon, then Frontier) is bound to the terms of the franchise even after the transfer; the franchise can be terminated without penalty within 90 days of the third anniversary of the beginning of the agreement (so within 90 days of August 8th, 2011); and the franchise runs until and including August 7th, 2023.

EdmondsFios

Edmonds, WA

Thanks so much for the links. I have saved both of them so I won't have to ask again.