Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to kevinds

MVM

to kevinds

Re: If I get caught,

DMCA severely restricts fair-use rights in that if DRM infringes on copyright DMCA says tough bananas. To round this out companies use contractual wording to undercut first-sale doctrine.

The goal is to turn the population into renters with no property rights so companies are able to collect rent.

Be interesting to see how this plays out over the next decade as companies and government continue to tighten the screws.

/tom

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by tschmidt:

The goal is to turn the population into renters with no property rights so companies are able to collect rent.

T-mobile seems to be bucking the trend, going the opposite way. Their plans of not subsidizing phones, allowing you to BYOD, and an arguably leading pre-paid plan among the big 4 providers to me shows that they really don't care specifically about the "renting the hardware" market while they first rather provide the service. If you want to get the hardware from them, then they are happy to do that as well.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to tschmidt

Premium Member

to tschmidt
What copyright material protected by DRM is there on my Android (open-source) smart-phone though.
Expand your moderator at work