Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to tubbynet

MVM

to tubbynet

Re: What Specialization Would You Choose Now?

said by tubbynet:

said by Nightfall:

said by DarkLogix:

So about $2k just to take the test.

We have someone who works at Xerox who has a CCIE and he is awesome. Took him a couple years to get it, but he says it was worth it. The guy lives, breathes, and eats Cisco. I would rather work on server/network infrastructure and IT Strategy.

i've seen a lot of great ccie's. i've also seen a lot of shitty ones. i've also met a lot of amazing engineers/architects, who haven't a cert to their name.
in the end -- its all about passion and interest in the field. the ccie is just something that provides instant "knowledge" recognition to customers/potential employers.

i'm well respected in the southwest region as a knowledgeable route/switch/wan/datacenter engineer. however, i do run into many instances with customers who want "the numbers after the name". sometimes i can overcome -- others won't have discussions long enough to see my knowledge.

q.

Yup, I agree with you.

This really is the shameful part when it comes to education. Some places won't even consider you without the college degree while others will. Same goes for people who say you have to have the CCIE or CCNP. These days, just saying you can do it doesn't cut it.

This is why having the best well rounded education is really the best thing. There are three areas that everyone in IT should have on their resume.

1. Experience
2. Education
3. Certifications

If you lack something in one of those areas, then you are closing doors or opportunities. Its a buyers market out there right now. There are many candidates that are strong in all three areas. By being weak in one of those areas, you are less likely to get that job or raise.

So, when you say that customers want "the numbers after the name", that is very true. Its just as true when it comes to the education and experience portion of things as well.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by Nightfall:

So, when you say that customers want "the numbers after the name", that is very true. Its just as true when it comes to the education and experience portion of things as well.

for a network admin job -- i'd agree. well rounded with education matters -- especially in terms of communication, etc.

however -- i've not seen as much emphasis on the education in your bona fides when doing consulting work in the network field. i will say that having my bsee has greatly helped my understanding of the physical architecture aspects of these devices and knowing what they can/can't do -- but i wouldn't say that its a requirement.

however, as with everything -- your mileage may vary. i'm a great proponent of having a college degree anyway -- especially in something useful. if the network world ever turns to shit -- or i get burned out -- i have something widely accepted (a four year degree in an engineering area of study) that is "good" for a resume.

q.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by tubbynet:

said by Nightfall:

for a network admin job -- i'd agree. well rounded with education matters -- especially in terms of communication, etc.

however -- i've not seen as much emphasis on the education in your bona fides when doing consulting work in the network field. i will say that having my bsee has greatly helped my understanding of the physical architecture aspects of these devices and knowing what they can/can't do -- but i wouldn't say that its a requirement.
q.

Yea, we are pretty much in agreement. When it comes to consulting, most companies don't care about a consultant's education. What I was referring to was trying to get a job with a company and what most companies want in terms of the "big 3 requirements".

As you said, YMMV.

I wish you luck on your CCIE.