spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kirkdj

@charter.com

What Millenicom modem is Used with the Hotspot plan 20GB?

I was thinking of getting this plan, I live in the Weaverville/Asheville NC area. I'm trying to figure out if this plan will work for me for residential internet and wifi. Does this come with a USB portable modem or does it come with a standard type modem that I can plug my ASUS Rt-N66U wireless router in to create the wifi network for my house? Have several pc's, ipad, etc. so if this is only one usb modem, then is there a way to create a network with it? I'm completely unsure of the installation options with this plan?

jferris33
Comcast Extreme TG862G Gateway

join:2003-04-09
Lusby, MD

The device that Millenicom supplies with their Hotspot plan is a Verizon 4620 MiFi device that contains both a cellular modem function as well as a wireless router function. The device is about 3.5" x 2.3" x .4" which you can easily hold in the palm of your hand. It has its own battery but can also run while plugged in. It also has a micro SIM card that is registered with Verizon.

All you have to do is turn it on and you should quickly be able to detect a WiFi signal from it and assuming that you have a good cellular connection in your area you should be good to go. I have one of these and get about 20 MB download speeds in my area with a good 4G signal (I have to use an external antenna with it).

In my case I purchased a used Pantech UML290 cellular modem and transferred the SIM card from the 4620 device to the UML290 and then plugged the UML290 into my Cradlepoint MBR1000 router but this is not necessary and it works just fine all my itself.

kirkdj

@charter.com

so under this hotspot plan and after looking up the equipment you used.......can I plug an external antenna into the Verizon modem supplied? I read that my ASUS RT-N66U router does except mobile broadband dongles vis the USB ports........is this how the Verizon 4620 hooks up?

kirkdj

@charter.com
reply to jferris33

also what external antenna do you consider the best? are their some outside antennas that I can run a cable for, maybe with a signal booster built-in?

KIRKDJ

@charter.com
reply to jferris33

can the wireless router function in the supplied modem be disabled?

kirkdj

@charter.com
reply to jferris33

also someone said this hotspot plan is 10Gb @ 4G and then the remainder 10GB is @ 3G......is this true?

jferris33

Lusby, MD

2 edits
reply to kirkdj

said by kirkdj :

so under this hotspot plan and after looking up the equipment you used.......can I plug an external antenna into the Verizon modem supplied? I read that my ASUS RT-N66U router does except mobile broadband dongles vis the USB ports........is this how the Verizon 4620 hooks up?

Yes, you can plug an external antenna into the Verizon 4620 device.

The 4620 does not have an external connector so you cannot plug it into a router, it is a router itself and is all you need.

jferris33

Lusby, MD

1 edit
reply to kirkdj

said by kirkdj :

also what external antenna do you consider the best? are their some outside antennas that I can run a cable for, maybe with a signal booster built-in?

You may not need any external antenna. Wait until you get the device and then see if it picks up a signal and allows you to connect to the internet.

If it does turn out that you need an external antenna then which one you need will depend on the signal that is available to you in your area. I suggest that you contact someone in this regard such as Max Signal or the 3G Store - they can advise you about what antenna might be appropriate.

jferris33

Lusby, MD
reply to KIRKDJ

said by KIRKDJ :

can the wireless router function in the supplied modem be disabled?

I don't think that the wireless router function in the 4620 can be disabled. Maybe someone else here (Jim-in-VA?) can comment on this.

jferris33

Lusby, MD
reply to kirkdj

said by kirkdj :

also someone said this hotspot plan is 10Gb @ 4G and then the remainder 10GB is @ 3G......is this true?

In my case I have been getting 20GB of data per month through 4G with no issues. I am not aware of any restrictions on the amount of date via 4G (up to the 20GB cap).

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
reply to jferris33

the wifi can't be turned off, but the DHCP Server function can be disabled
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/