how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

roadsider7

join:2010-04-05
Jenkintown, PA

[Northeast] attach Airport Expxress to Actiontec ECB2200v

I'm getting a bad feeling about this, but I was wondering if I can extend my wireless network using an Airport Express attached to the ECB2200V we have on our FiOS-supplied network in the house. Our main Actiontec router is just a little too far away from our living room to make Airplay work reliably, so I was hoping to extend the wireless network via the 2200. Is this possible?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
Absolutely. See part 1 of this FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

roadsider7

Jenkintown, PA
Yes, that's what I was hoping. Trouble is, I can't seem to get the Airport Express to extend the network via the coax. I assume I need to set up the AE in Bridge mode so that it's not extending it via the wireless?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
reply to roadsider7
Setup the AE just as if you were connecting it directly to a LAN port on the Actiontec.

In fact, I'd suggest doing that to confirm the AE is working correctly.

Also, you can connect a PC directly to the ECB2200 to confirm that it is working. The PC should pull a DHCP address and have internet connectivity just as if it were connected directly to the Actiontec.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

roadsider7

Jenkintown, PA
got it going. Once again, I didn't trust the Airport's built-in wizard to do the heavy lifting. Thanks for the help.

vnrtrt

@verizon.net
reply to roadsider7
Your AE or any other wireless Access Point should be set to 'AP mode' not wireless bridge.

'AP mode' means that it is extending the wired ethernet port that it is connected to, in this case it is the MOCA bridge's ethernet port.

A wired ethernet port can also be a switch port or a port on the FiOS router.

Make sure that your AE is set with the same SSID as used on the FiOS router. The wireless channel number on your AE must be different than the one used by your FiOS router and not the same as one used by your neighbors. In other words, the channel number on your AE must be unique and not conflict with any other in-use channel.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
Actually, on the airport it is called bridge mode.....