uniqs
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to WhyNoUpload

to WhyNoUpload

Re: New speeds Rogers cable - Teksavvy watch out

said by WhyNoUpload:

For those that say we don't need the faster upload speeds...

You want faster upload. You have a practical, legitimate use for faster upload.

But having it on consumer-grade internet is not an actual necessity. Not even close.
booj
join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON

booj

said by bt:

But having it on consumer-grade internet is not an actual necessity. Not even close.

Can't even host a decent game of minecraft with current speeds. There are a millions uses for faster uploads. Google fiber is 'consumer-grade'.

davegravy
@iasl.com

davegravy to bt

Anon

to bt
said by bt:

Depends on your definition of necessity. Again, on the extreme end, the entire internet could be argued to be not a necessity.

Fact is, it's technologically, and economically feasible to offer this, as evidenced by other nations, SO GIVE IT TO US.

I want to live in a nation that finds innovative uses for things we have but don't "need". Not a nation that points to other nations and says "look what they discovered they can do with this technology... I wish we had that!"
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to booj

to booj
said by booj:

said by bt:

Can't even host a decent game of minecraft with current speeds. There are a millions uses for faster uploads.

I completely agree!

But having a use, or even a million uses, does not make something a necessity.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to davegravy

to davegravy
said by davegravy :

said by bt:

Depends on your definition of necessity. Again, on the extreme end, the entire internet could be argued to be not a necessity.

Fact is, it's technologically, and economically feasible to offer this, as evidenced by other nations, SO GIVE IT TO US.

I want to live in a nation that finds innovative uses for things we have but don't "need". Not a nation that points to other nations and says "look what they discovered they can do with this technology... I wish we had that!"

That depends on what you mean feasible. As along as copper is used to get inside homes, residential internet connections will always be highly asymmetrical. And that's simply just because of how DSL and Cable were designed in the 1990s.

That doens't of course higher speeds aren't possible, blanket rolling to 10Mbps upload out should be the short term goal for now. It's going to be a long time before the majority homes have a fibre run into them.