Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
reply to Blackbird

Re: Feds warn PC users to disable Java

Or block the plugin at a network level to protect users at your IP address. You can VPN past it yourself, but most friends aren't that savvy. If they were, I'd just block the port except for my status IPs or the destination of all known VPN hosts except mine(unless they get my permission, which granny is not getting with how much I have cleaned her computer, only to see her reinfected the next week due to weak security practices). She is a good lady, but treats a computer like a toaster in terms of security and updates. Installs a bunch of crap that has clean alternatives. In the insecure IE days, it only took me 3 years to get her to try Firefox or Chromium(now she is behind the times because Webkit has had better security of built-in sandboxing and better rendering), but she did pull away from IE. Progress, folks. Yes, I have a right to setup my network to be protective from my home so nothing bad is coming from my IP address. I feel it to be a responsibility to do that. They will do what they want at home lol
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1

Have her use a VM for browsing. Blow it away and replace with fresh VM regularly.