dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

comcasterate

Anon

[Business] New Internet Service - Equipment Confustion

We just got new Business Class Internet service from Comcast.
They ran a coax line to our equipment close and left me with three pieces of equipment:
-Cisco DPC3008 (cable modem)
-SMC SMCD3G (modem/router)
-BelAir 20E HotSpot

I have these questions:
1) The DHCP in the SMC SMCD3G allow for it to be either turned on or off. It does not detail the starting address or number of address that it issues so I am at a loss at to where to put my fixed address devices. Any ideas what range that this device issues?
2) Is teh Belair HotSpot something that I can configure to my needs or is it a generic HotSpot for any Comcast customer that is within range to use?
3) Why two cable modems? I presume that only one is for my office but which one?
I have asked Comcast the same and they are supposed to be getting back to me but I am not holding my breath.
Thank you!

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by comcasterate :

We just got new Business Class Internet service from Comcast.
They ran a coax line to our equipment close and left me with three pieces of equipment:
-Cisco DPC3008 (cable modem)
-SMC SMCD3G (modem/router)
-BelAir 20E HotSpot

I have these questions:
1) The DHCP in the SMC SMCD3G allow for it to be either turned on or off. It does not detail the starting address or number of address that it issues so I am at a loss at to where to put my fixed address devices. Any ideas what range that this device issues?
2) Is teh Belair HotSpot something that I can configure to my needs or is it a generic HotSpot for any Comcast customer that is within range to use?
3) Why two cable modems? I presume that only one is for my office but which one?
I have asked Comcast the same and they are supposed to be getting back to me but I am not holding my breath.
Thank you!

They must have recently changed the firmware in the SMCD3G-CCR. When I was using one, I had a place to setup the starting and stopping DHCP addresses, and also a place to override the DNS servers that the DHCP server passed out.

I suspect that the Cisco DPC3008 is for use with the BelAir 20E HotSpot, since Comcast usually totally isolates their official hotspot network from the customer's network.

However, I can't believe that the installer just left that equipment unconnected in a closet. Are you sure that the installer is not planning on returning to finish the job? Call 800-391-3000 (the Comcast Business Class support line) and find out what is going on (and reschedule the install if Comcast thinks that they are done).

comcastrate

Anon

Thank you for the super fast reply!
Yes, the installer just ran the cable and dumped the equipment. The site is still under construction and he said to our assistant who was on site that if it gets installed it might get stolen... he might know something or he might have just been looking to move on to his next job. Who knows.
That is great about the SMCD6G having spots for starting and ending DHCP address. I have only looked at the manual and it lacks those options as well as what the default configuration is.
And I guess that that you are saying that the hotspot gizmo is not for my use but rather to create a hotspot point for any comcast customer. That is a nice idea but they aren't paying me rent for the space it occupies and or the electricity that it will consume, so I am at a loss as to why I would install it.
So I am going to try the SMCD6G and if it states that it is the IP Address that they told me I would get then I know I have the right modem connected for my internet service.
Thank you!

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by comcastrate :

Thank you for the super fast reply!
Yes, the installer just ran the cable and dumped the equipment. The site is still under construction and he said to our assistant who was on site that if it gets installed it might get stolen... he might know something or he might have just been looking to move on to his next job. Who knows.
That is great about the SMCD6G having spots for starting and ending DHCP address. I have only looked at the manual and it lacks those options as well as what the default configuration is.
And I guess that that you are saying that the hotspot gizmo is not for my use but rather to create a hotspot point for any comcast customer. That is a nice idea but they aren't paying me rent for the space it occupies and or the electricity that it will consume, so I am at a loss as to why I would install it.
So I am going to try the SMCD6G and if it states that it is the IP Address that they told me I would get then I know I have the right modem connected for my internet service.
Thank you!

If Comcast is installing their own hotspots without the customer requesting it, that is something new. In the past, a customer who actually wanted to have a public hotspot had to practically beg to get it done. Did you order the service yourself, or did someone else order it? It sounds as if a fast talking Comcast sales person may have taken some liberties in interpreting your company's wishes (perhaps by mentioning installing "free" WiFi for your customers).

If you have ordered a static IP account, and if the installer did not even connect your SMCD3G to their network, it will proably not have the static IP information loaded into it yet. The SMCD3G is definitely the "modem" that is intended for your business class service, and once you do connect it, you can call business class support, and they will upload the static IP config remotely.

comcastrate

Anon

Thanks again NetFixer.
Insead of waiting for a reply from the salemans (who seems to have evaporated not that the sale has been made) I called the number that you kindly provided. Spoke with a tech that spelled it out exactly as you described... the Cisco modem and HotSpot is free for "my customers' if they have a comcast.net logon... but I do not have to install it if I don't want to. That it is something new they are trying out. And he said that the SMCD6G is for me and to call again once it is conencted for the IP to be assigned and for the rollover and other features activated on the phone lines once the Arris TM608 is installed. I think itis sort of cleaver for the to issue the 'free' hotspot, and might have participated if they had asled me, but I don't like how they just assumed that I would install it. Other than that it was certainly a quick install and i have to say the price was way less than what 8 lines from Verizon would have cost, and the Verizon internet is not nearly as fast. Since other companies in the building have Comcast I feel pretty confident that down times should be minimal... keeping my fingers crossed!
Thanks again for your help.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by comcastrate :

Insead of waiting for a reply from the salemans (who seems to have evaporated not that the sale has been made)...

Been there, done that. My so called account rep has not returned a phone call, or answered an email since the day after I signed my contract.

Fortunately, the normal business class support number will get most things accomplished, and this site's »Comcast Direct forum can usually take care of any unusual problems or questions.

bottlines
@sbcglobal.net

bottlines to comcasterate

Anon

to comcasterate
Anyone know how to get to the setup page on a BelAir 20E access point. It did not come with any instructions.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by bottlines :

Anyone know how to get to the setup page on a BelAir 20E access point. It did not come with any instructions.

I think that the idea is that you are not supposed to be setting it up. It is Comcast's hotspot, not your hotspot. I think that any provisioning will be done automatically after the physical connection to Comcast's network is done.

»www.fiercebroadbandwirel ··· 12-06-26

pcdoctor
@rr.com

pcdoctor

Anon

I also have a BelAir 20E that is not being used with Comcast. I need to get to the setup page on the 20E but cannot seem to find the right IP address to do so....anyone have any idea what that might be, or where I could go to get the user manual or technical manual for a BelAir 2oE