uniqs
share rss forum feed

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:7
reply to dorkino

Re: Modem developing an affinity for 1 of 4 downstream channels

Yeah, with the Motorola SB61XX modems, it's typical that they display about several hundred to a thousand Uncorrectable Codewords for each channel right after it boots up. After that, the Correctable and Uncorrectable errored codeword counts will normally slowly increment if you're getting good downstream signals.

On my SB6121 modem, the Total Unerrored Codewords counts are roughly the same, as well as for many of the SB61XX signal page screenshoots I've seen posted in this forum, though a few of them have shown one channel having a count of up to twice as much as the others.

As the errored codeword counts for your modem look good, and you say it's operating OK, I wouldn't worry about that anomaly.

dorkino
Premium
join:2004-02-22
Atlanta, GA

Come to think of it, I don't recall ever seeing this happen prior to the most recent firmware push that I received a few months ago. Maybe it's related; maybe not.

Model Name: SB6121
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.8-SCM01-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
Hardware Version: 5.0
Serial Number: (redacted)
Firmware Build Time: Aug 30 2012 15:35:46

But, yeah, you're right. I'm not really concerned about this... just curious is all. Thanks everyone for your input.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

FWIW, for about the past week, my SB6121 has been showing a preference for the highest frequency channel (not the "Favorite Frequency"). I suspect that it is just random chance based on how busy each channel is.