Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

1 edit
reply to yvvvvv

Re: In an uncertain future: Google Fiber in Canada

More like Google's waterloo office is the one that handles their mobile apps. It means nothing about the location of Google Fiber trials and everything about which of their offices handles that development.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Neo

join:2012-03-16
Is there any chance, ANY chance at all that google fibre will expand and come to Canada eventually? In a reasonable amount of time...not in the next 50 years?

I've been considering moving to texas just for google fibre.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by Neo:

Is there any chance, ANY chance at all that google fibre will expand and come to Canada eventually? In a reasonable amount of time...not in the next 50 years?

No one can answer that question but it is extremely unlikely. It is more likely that if they expand it will be to various other American cities.

MJB

join:2012-01-29
If gaming goes to the cloud - Which will happen in the future..
Then google fiber would be needed in every city of north america + the country

Example - Simcity 2013

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to Neo
said by Neo:

Given it's still a new service, they would likely expand further in the US before Canada or other countries.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Neo
said by Neo:

Sure. All a Canadian town has to do is give Google free reign to the town's infrastructure free of charge, even assisting them in the installation costs and labour. The economic benefits will be so overwhelming, it won't be long before that town becomes both a major city and a dominant player in Canada's technological sector.

But that will probably never happen since politicians only think as far as the next election.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to MJB
said by MJB:

Example - Simcity 2013

The closed beta of Simcity 5 works fine on a cable connection.

camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Neo
said by Neo:

If Google can't (or won't) bring Google Voice to Canada, it's a snowball's chance in hell they'd bring Fibre here.

Even Google Music seems to be a challenge for them here.

It seems it's all about economy of scale. We just don't have the kind of scale they're interested in.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by camelot:

If Google can't (or won't) bring Google Voice to Canada, it's a snowball's chance in hell they'd bring Fibre here.

Quick, duck!

Google Voice for Canada: »www.google.com/chat/voice/
And here: »gmailblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12···ada.html

Or is that something different from "Google Voice" ?

camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
said by mlord:

Google Voice for Canada: »www.google.com/chat/voice/
»gmailblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12···ada.html

Or is that something different from "Google Voice" ?

That's not Google Voice. That's just calling from GMail. Google Voice is something completely different. It's a single number that handles everything for you.

CORRECTION!
It appears it may be available in certain locations...
»www.google.ca/mobile/voice/

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22
kudos:3
said by camelot:

CORRECTION!
It appears it may be available in certain locations...
»www.google.ca/mobile/voice/

Not so fast. Change the .ca url to anything else (like .fr, .co.jp) and you get the same page. If you change the area selector on the bottom of the page to Canada (instead of United States), and you get a different page with no mention of Google voice.

I think your initial impression was right.