spc
Search similar:

uniqs

alexis
@distributel.net

alexis

Anon

internet option for rural j5m 1h2

Hello, I spent a lot of time searching and couldn't find any option other than 3g cellular ( reception is bad so it isn't 1st choise...) and xplornet ( lots of bad comment) I'm wondering if someone would know of a wisp or another suggestion?

thanks
swe3tdave
join:2008-02-01
Sainte-Catherine-De-Hatley, QC

1 edit

swe3tdave

if you don't have access to a cable internet provider, and you're too far from dsl, go to ubnt.ca, their Airmax M Series is interesting. But you need line-of-sight to wherever you want to connect to. And that doesn't mean just seeing the spot where the other antenna is gonna be; If your thinking about a laser, that's not it. You need to think more of a 10 to 20 meter wide cigar. Most likely your going to need a tower long enough to ruin any relations you might have with your neighbors, if you have any. Like me, your probably going to have to choose between staying rural or going to the city for broadband...

alexis
@laval.qc.ca

alexis to alexis

Anon

to alexis
thanks for the answer, excuse my beginner question... it seems that the airmax is an antena... where does it need to point to? Do I need to make a deal with somebody that has cable high speed internet, he puts an antenna, I put one, and we can share the connection? I don't think high speed internet is available in a 5km radium at least...

Alexis
swe3tdave
join:2008-02-01
Sainte-Catherine-De-Hatley, QC

swe3tdave

well, yeah, that's the general idea, you need two antenna, and you need to find a place where you can get the internet connection. But before you do this, you need to understand that some isp might have a problems with the internet connection sharing part. if your going to spend time and money on this, make sure your allowed to do it. If you have a good line of sight, a 20km point-to-point link is not impossible, some of Ubiquity Networks solutions are rated for 50km+... But personally, i would not go that far, the link would be slow and unstable. If you can find a few folks that have the same problem, you might be able to build a small community wireless isp, a few smaller link instead of one big one might be preferable. try asking in the wisp forum for more specific questions: »Wireless Service Providers

also, look at the menu located at the bottom left area of the ubnt.ca web site, click on link configurator. It will help you make sense of what's possible. keep in mind that there is no guarantee a link is gonna work even if the link configurator says it will.
shepd
join:2004-01-17
Kitchener, ON

shepd to alexis

to alexis
How is the 3G reception outside? I assume you're testing on a phone.

If you can get even just enough signal to make it work, I know it sounds stupid, but you can run a long USB extender (the ones that convert USB to CAT5) up an antenna and place the stick in a sealed plastic box attached to an antenna mast.

My friend went the slightly simpler route of sticking it in the top of his attic. HOWEVER, he could get 3G reception on his phone when he was near a window, and always 3G reception outside.

If it's a complexity of install issue, xplornet will be no easier.
julienvf
join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
Cisco SPA112
TP-Link TD-W8960N
Technicolor DCM475

julienvf to alexis

to alexis
Might wanna check with skynetcanada.com. It seems you're in an area where they have coverage. You might need to build a tower but if you want unlimited internet, their coverage map is here: »skynetcanada.com/index.p ··· emid=111

alexis
@distributel.net

alexis to alexis

Anon

to alexis
thanks for the suggestion. I've contacted skynet and it seems that even if i'm willing to pay the commercial fee (99$), I can't get the service for a residence... so I guess it will be rogers!

Alexis
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to alexis

Premium Member

to alexis
If you are able to post your location it may help people give better suggestions. My brother has gone through quite a process of finding decent rural service. In the end he found a company that provides service only to his area with a relatively small service footprint.

alexis
@laval.qc.ca

1 edit

alexis to alexis

Anon

to alexis
[full address removed --state]

st lin j5m1h2

WiMax
join:2003-07-12
Canada

1 edit

WiMax to alexis

to alexis
NEVER EVER EVER use cell technology (ie 3G, 4G HSPA+) to replace other terrestrial wireless Internet unless you are a MOBILE user. Why? The bandwidth caps are SMALL and the overage rates are EXHORBITANT!

The so-called "rural packages" that the incumbents offer look enticing because of the appearance of being competively priced with urban service offerings. None of the cell carriers offer bandwidth caps anywhere close to what a real WISP will offer. As proof, look at this comparison chart from Niagara's Neighbourhood Wireless. You will see that the major cellcos offer no more than 20G bandwidth/mo and they charge been $10-20/GIG for overage when ISPS typically offer bandwidth caps starting at 30G and overage rates of about 50cents/GIG.

Also, do not choose satellite unless there are no other terrestrial options available. It is a relatively expensive option because of very inconsistent speeds especially when there is serious inclement weather. (ie heavy snow, rain).

If you can find a WISP that uses Motorola Canopy or WIMAX, go for it!