share rss forum feed

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3
reply to bmilford

Re: [TWC] 8 Downstream Channels Added.

said by bmilford:

8 downstream went live in Frisco, TX 75035 last night!

hmm I have had 8 downstream channel bonding for almost a month now in Central Arlington.

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to pizz

DOCSIS 2.0 modems keep changing the downstream and upstream channels which cause havoc when streaming radio. It makes the connection go out for a couple of seconds which means then I have to reload the radio stream. This is why I upgraded to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem (SB6141) after only a few months of buying the SB5101U but every DOCSIS 2.0 modem has that problem.

bmilford
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Frisco, TX
reply to trparky

8 downstream went live in Frisco, TX 75035 last night!

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to pizz

With DOCSIS 2.0 you only have one downstream data channel that the modem can listen on. So that means, even if it were possible that a full 30 Mbps connection could fit into a single QAM downstream data channel, it would mean that a single person with a 30 Mbps plan could completely monopolize the QAM slot and nobody else would have any chance at all of getting any bandwidth in that QAM slot as long as that person is downloading at a full 30 Mbps rate.

That my friend is just plain stupid and not only that but horribly inefficient use of bandwidth on the cable.

DOCSIS 3.0's whole idea is that it can listen in on multiple QAM slots. This means if you're downloading at a full 30 Mbps rate your data packets could very well be split across 4, 6, or even 8 downstream QAM slots. This is far more efficient use of the bandwidth on the cable.

You have to stop thinking about the fact that you're the only one on the cable line, you are sharing it with other people on the same node. DOCSIS 3.0 brings to the cable plant a far better way of load balancing data across the QAM slots on the cable. Load balancing is the name of the game here along with using bandwidth on the cable more intelligently.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to Packeteers

said by Packeteers:

said by motorola870:

since Turbo went to 20/2 which now requires a DOCSIS 3.0 modem

this is total fiction - even 30/5 could comfortably be supported using a DOCSIS 2 modem, as each individual down/up channel has the theoretical capacity of 43/31Mbps.

It's closer to 38mbps of effective downstream throughput for a QAM256 channel. Yes, a DOCSIS 2 modem could download at 30mbps, but the service consistency would be terrible. You're sharing that QAM256 channel with other customers. If just one other person locked onto the same channel was downloading a file, you'd see severely degraded speeds.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

djc6

join:2007-11-28
Cleveland, OH
reply to Packeteers

said by Packeteers:

TWCable says Turbo 20/2 "requires" DOCSIS 3 - that's pretty ridiculous of them

I was having a lot of downstream problems on the 20/2 tier at night with my DOCSIS 2.0 modem (Cisco 2100) until I purchased my own SB6141. Rarely at night would I get anywhere near my advertised speeds on TWC's own speed tests. Once I went DOCSIS 3.0 with four downstream channels, all of my problems went away. It's been a month now with no downstream sluggishness. At least for me, I now have a much more consistent experience even tho my old modem was capable of delivering those speeds on paper. The tech at the time told me that TWC was trying to only provision DOCSIS 3 equipment on new installs.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

3 edits
reply to pizz

to those keeping track of such things... it seems my Rego Park / Forest Hills area is still limited to 4 download bonded channels as confirmed by two TWC premise visit technicians who are sent out to troubleshoot 30/5 and 50/5 customers in my area. until i see evidence of 8 channels here, i have no compelling reason to upgrade to 30/5 at this time since i'm enjoying well over 15/1 speeds already on my docsis2 service.

Update: I just got confirmation from a neighbor with a SB6141 30/5 service in Rego Park, and he's only getting 4 channels down.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
reply to Packeteers

said by Packeteers:

TWCable says Turbo 20/2 "requires" DOCSIS 3 - that's pretty ridiculous of them considering my DOCSIS 2 SB5101u modem does 31/1 according to TWCable's own result inflated test sight;

[att=1]

my guess is this is some incentive by TWCable to get Turbo people to lease the more expensive modems, or buy their own and keep upgrade intentions simmering behind their DOCSIS 3 ready modem.

no another part of it the offering free wireless networking to turbo customers as TWC is no longer ordering wireless gateways that are DOCSIS 2.0

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to motorola870

TWCable says Turbo 20/2 "requires" DOCSIS 3 - that's pretty ridiculous of them considering my DOCSIS 2 SB5101u modem does 31/1 according to TWCable's own result inflated test sight;

my guess is this is some incentive by TWCable to get Turbo people to lease the more expensive modems, or buy their own and keep upgrade intentions simmering behind their DOCSIS 3 ready modem.

Coolbam

join:2010-09-22
El Centro, CA
reply to motorola870

said by motorola870:

said by Packeteers:

said by motorola870:

this is total fiction - even 30/5 could comfortably be supported using a DOCSIS 2 modem, as each individual down/up channel has the theoretical capacity of 43/31Mbps.

and especially now that TWC is leasing modems, they have no incentive to give you equipment with a retail price 18 lease payments more than you actually need (on some very remote chance you'll pay more to upgrade your speed if and when it becomes available in your area). i live in an area with 50/5 support and was still given a $20 DOCSIS 2 ubee modem for 15/1 standard service. only because some invested their own money in DOCSIS 3 modems to avoid the lease fees, that you see them used while still on 15/1 or 20/2 plans.

TWC has stated on their website that DOCSIS 3.0 modems are the only ones they recommend for turbo and above:

»www.timewarnercable.com/en/resid···dem.html

no 30 down on single DOCSIS channel is not even realistic you are sharing the channel and if you download at the 30Mbps really a maximum of 32Mbps thanks to over provisioning a single channel only has a net payload of 38.8Mbps and can only handle 1 extreme connection at once if it was used for extreme. Also DOCSIS 2.0 modems supposedly are not that good at handling QAM64 upstreams in the field so that it is recommended that you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for QAM64 upstreams. Most areas are transitioning to QAM64 also why would anyone want a DOCSIS 2.0 modem anymore they are outdated the SB5101 has been out for at least 7 years the technology is out of date and as TWC slowly upgrades their speed tiers to faster speeds such as the Kansas city turbo at 30/5 DOCSIS 2 modems are going to become useless and eventually the very bottom tier will need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem but that is several years off and that won't be needed until we have 16 downstream bonding or 32 downstream bonding which is coming in the next few years.

I wish it was true here. I really want Ultimate but in this county TWC is lagging behind. The office here laughed at me when they saw that the phone rep upgraded me to Ultimate. They said it won't be awhile until D3 arrives. Well atleast they gave me 6 months of free turbo internet for the screw up.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
reply to Packeteers

said by Packeteers:

said by motorola870:

and especially now that TWC is leasing modems, they have no incentive to give you equipment with a retail price 18 lease payments more than you actually need (on some very remote chance you'll pay more to upgrade your speed if and when it becomes available in your area). i live in an area with 50/5 support and was still given a $20 DOCSIS 2 ubee modem for 15/1 standard service. only because some invested their own money in DOCSIS 3 modems to avoid the lease fees, that you see them used while still on 15/1 or 20/2 plans.

TWC has stated on their website that DOCSIS 3.0 modems are the only ones they recommend for turbo and above:

»www.timewarnercable.com/en/resid···dem.html

no 30 down on single DOCSIS channel is not even realistic you are sharing the channel and if you download at the 30Mbps really a maximum of 32Mbps thanks to over provisioning a single channel only has a net payload of 38.8Mbps and can only handle 1 extreme connection at once if it was used for extreme. Also DOCSIS 2.0 modems supposedly are not that good at handling QAM64 upstreams in the field so that it is recommended that you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for QAM64 upstreams. Most areas are transitioning to QAM64 also why would anyone want a DOCSIS 2.0 modem anymore they are outdated the SB5101 has been out for at least 7 years the technology is out of date and as TWC slowly upgrades their speed tiers to faster speeds such as the Kansas city turbo at 30/5 DOCSIS 2 modems are going to become useless and eventually the very bottom tier will need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem but that is several years off and that won't be needed until we have 16 downstream bonding or 32 downstream bonding which is coming in the next few years.

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to motorola870

said by motorola870:

motorola870

Arlington, TX
reply to Coolbam

said by Coolbam:

said by motorola870:

said by Packeteers:

technically turbo plan is not wideband and does not require a docsis3 modem, yet it's good to know they gave you 2 more channels down than what most customers would be getting on their docsis2 modems.

what i'd love to see is a 30/5 customer in my area getting 8 channels down - if i could confirm that was working around me, i would definitely spend the extra $80 for a new modem, and $10/mo more for faster service.

actually that is not true since Turbo went to 20/2 which now requires a DOCSIS 3.0 modem TWC changed the policy when the legacy turbo tier was discontinued. So if you have the 15/2 turbo tier you don't have to have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem but if you have the 20/2 turbo a DOCSIS 3.0 modem is required. TWC Dallas is the only area where turbo was upgraded to 20/2 for free with out having to change to the new billing codes.

Actually where I live here DOCSIS 3 hasn't arrived. The highest speed is 20/2.

but TWC is giving out DOCSIS 3.0 modems to customers for that tier or at least they are supposed to for when DOCSIS 3.0 does come out.

Coolbam

join:2010-09-22
El Centro, CA

1 edit
reply to motorola870

said by motorola870:

said by Packeteers:

technically turbo plan is not wideband and does not require a docsis3 modem, yet it's good to know they gave you 2 more channels down than what most customers would be getting on their docsis2 modems.

what i'd love to see is a 30/5 customer in my area getting 8 channels down - if i could confirm that was working around me, i would definitely spend the extra $80 for a new modem, and $10/mo more for faster service.

actually that is not true since Turbo went to 20/2 which now requires a DOCSIS 3.0 modem TWC changed the policy when the legacy turbo tier was discontinued. So if you have the 15/2 turbo tier you don't have to have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem but if you have the 20/2 turbo a DOCSIS 3.0 modem is required. TWC Dallas is the only area where turbo was upgraded to 20/2 for free with out having to change to the new billing codes.

Actually where I live here DOCSIS 3 hasn't arrived. The highest speed is Turbo 20/2.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
reply to Packeteers

said by Packeteers:

AhnHEL
Angel
Premium
join:2000-09-11
Bayside, NY
reply to Packeteers

Out in Bayside, 8 down and 4 up with a SB6141.
--
Do you remember when House began?

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Straphanger

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Jackson Heights, NY
reply to Packeteers

Only have 6 down/4 up on my SB6141. Speeds on my turbo plan have stayed the same at 20/2 but Origin reported sustained download speeds of 2.5-3.3 MB/s versus the usual 2.3 MB/s I see. Not sure what was causing that.
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits
reply to pizz

anyone in Rego Park or Forest Hills seeing 8 channels? i'm stuck on a cheap DOCSIS2 modem i bought when the $5/mo charge kicked in Months ago. I would love to replace it with DOCSIS3, but only after I'm sure all 8 channels are active here. unfortunautly my SB5101U won't allow me to see the channel activity detail

I just got off with TWC Chat based tech support... those guys are so clueless *sigh* so i'm dependent on other TWC customers in my area to find out what's what here.

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
reply to mckenna797

said by mckenna797:

I have a 1Gbps NIC so that may be why I get the speeds I have been seeing

I don't think 1Gb NIC will make a difference much possibly your area is a test area. You're always the first to see changes in NYC.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to mckenna797

So do I, but that doesnt matter I always been capped at 50/5 on wideband ultimate, never over it.

mckenna797
Premium
join:2004-08-25
Astoria, NY
reply to bluepoint

I have a 1Gbps NIC so that may be why I get the speeds I have been seeing

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
reply to mckenna797

That is now unfair, they are only giving it to you.

Nick21

join:2010-02-03
New York, NY
reply to pizz

I've checked at various times even at 3AM and still consistently 50-52 down. One time, I saw the meter go to 65ish but it quickly reverted to 51 and the test results reflected 51.

mckenna797
Premium
Astoria, NY
reply to Nick21

»speedtest.net/result/2550840752.png

Nick21

New York, NY
reply to pizz

Maybe a new config file to select customers for 100/5?

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to pizz

Dont understand how some people who are on 50/5 in nyc get like 75 or 100 down, guess it meant they were never capped properly.... I would like to know this because getting 100 while paying for 50 sounds like a great deal.

mckenna797
Premium
Astoria, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to pizz

I,m on signature home with the ubee modem/router combo

DATE LOCATION DOWN UP
2013-02-02 02:16:41 AM New York City, NY 98.29 Mbps 5.12 Mbps
2013-02-02 2:15:42 AM New York City, NY 109.94 Mbps 5.13 Mbps

pizz
bye bye twc. hello Comcast.
Premium
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY
reply to pizz

im still on the 50/5 tier. would like to see if my area in astoria gets da bump!

Nick21

New York, NY
reply to pizz

Seems the DC test site is the one with the 70+, I just tried and still 50-52 at best. However a good sign that we could get 75 or even 100 in NYC.