how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thetick

join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

Replacement advice for 2nd STB

I would like to add an inexpensive Blueray Player with the FIOS apps (75+ channels) and a small TV with QAM for locals.

I read about various issues with the FIOS apps and would like to know which models of BD players work fine with the FIOS TV app.

Also I read there was also a chance QAM locals may soon be encrypted. Anyone know the details on this?

nyrmetros

join:2008-02-01
Oakland Gardens, NY

said by thetick:

I would like to add an inexpensive Blueray Player with the FIOS apps (75+ channels) and a small TV with QAM for locals.

I read about various issues with the FIOS apps and would like to know which models of BD players work fine with the FIOS TV app.

Also I read there was also a chance QAM locals may soon be encrypted. Anyone know the details on this?

I bought a Samsung BD-E5900 thinking it would have the Fios app, but sadly it doesn't. Is there a list of devices that do have the Fios app available?

mack1951
Universal Soldier

join:2000-04-18
Bayonne, NJ
reply to thetick

I bought the LG BP 620 for the same purpose and it works great after an update. Got it at Best Buy for $99.00. For local I have OTA.
--
THE ROAD: Romans 3:23, 6:23, 5:8, 10:9

crgauth

join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD
kudos:1
reply to thetick

FCC has authorized cable companies to encrypt the local channels as a way to prevent theft.
Verizon doesn't have to do that as they can control it from ONT.
But they could do it anyway as a way to force people to have an STB (or cablecard device).

thetick

White Plains, NY

1 edit
reply to nyrmetros

Verizon has a an official list but according to posters here for Samsung BD players says no app exits. This is some serious miscommunication Verizon should clear up. Anyway Samsung lost my purchase I'll get the LG since $99 is in my price range.

See the comments at »forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at···43#M3186

thetick

White Plains, NY
reply to mack1951

Great. Thanks!

thetick

White Plains, NY
reply to crgauth

If Verizon was concerned about getting more STB's the FIOS app would not exist at all. Anyway I really hope Clear QAM stays because I really can't pick up all the stations in NYDMA via OTA.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to crgauth

said by crgauth:

FCC has authorized cable companies to encrypt the local channels as a way to prevent theft.
Verizon doesn't have to do that as they can control it from ONT.

Really doubt Verizon would encrypt locals as the only reason the Cable companies have pressured the FCC on this issue was due to local channels asking for compensation (like Fox, CBS, etc). As you stated Verizon can control access via the ONT whereby the majority of cable companies cannot for clear channel QAM.