***FREE until Monday, January 28th***
The Gunstringer
»apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-US···ccd46820

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

There is no way to download it. You have to have Windows Store enabled and go there. I disabled UAC in Win 8 registry and that means Microsoft has banned all apps from Windows Store or Metro on my computer (they play dirty). So, I can't get it.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

said by Mele20:

There is no way to download it. You have to have Windows Store enabled and go there. I disabled UAC in Win 8 registry and that means Microsoft has banned all apps from Windows Store or Metro on my computer (they play dirty). So, I can't get it.

"they play dirty" - you decided you don't want any security, and they require security to use the store. So you choose not to have access to the store. It's a Metro app, so you'd not want it anyway.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Mele20:

"they play dirty" - you decided you don't want any security, and they require security to use the store. So you choose not to have access to the store. It's a Metro app, so you'd not want it anyway.

Security is between your 2 Ears, otherwise known as your Brain.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

said by Shootist:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Mele20:

Security is between your 2 Ears, otherwise known as your Brain.

Yep, and companies with marketplaces enforce the security their Brains put in place. If your Brain chooses otherwise, they simply turn off their marketplaces. So, no problems for anyone, yes?
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

And that is totally ridiculous. People are buying from it, downloading from it. Not uploading to it with malware/viruses/trojans.

So be it I would never use it anyway and I'll never use Win 8 either. Just like I never used Vista.

said by JohnInSJ:

Yep, and companies with marketplaces enforce the security their Brains put in place. If your Brain chooses otherwise, they simply turn off their marketplaces. So, no problems for anyone, yes?

--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********
Expand your moderator at work

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Re: [WIN8] The Gunstringer - free til Jan 28

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Shootist:

And that is totally ridiculous. People are buying from it, downloading from it. Not uploading to it with malware/viruses/trojans.

So be it I would never use it anyway and I'll never use Win 8 either. Just like I never used Vista.

said by JohnInSJ:

And so, you too would not need to be reading a thread with [WIN8] in the title. So again, not a problem for you at all.

How would anyone know from the title of this thread, and the first post, that if they chose to assert some control over their own computer (which has Win8 because they could not buy one with a different OS) that they could not get this game?

The OP might have made it clear in the first post that this is available only to those who allow Microsoft to own them (you also have to create a Microsoft account for your new Win 8 computer if you plan to get anything from Microsoft store. This allows Microsoft to track everything you do if you have been naive enough to NOT create a local user account when setting up your new computer).

In other words, if the first post (and the link) had made it clear this was a stupid, extremely limited, with tons of nasty strings attached, "free" (not a bit free really) download that is a METRO app, not a Windows 8 Desktop application then I would not have read beyond the first post. It really should have been in the title "Gunslinger METRO ONLY app free".

I think with the advent of Win 8 being on almost all new computers now, and a lot of users being unhappy with Metro (installing Start8, etc) that titles and original posts would benefit from being a bit more informative.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to chachazz

I have the Gunstringer for the XBox 360 which came with the Kinect. It's a meh game at best IMO.

If Microsoft is giving away freebees to promote their store or as a general matter of practice method of operation then fine.

For those who want it,....meh!

For those that don't,...or can't have it for one reason or the other,......I don't see the point of a pugilistic stance,...

Tel

join:2001-10-12
Mauldin, SC
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Mele20:

How would anyone know from the title of this thread,

The title has [Win8] and the assertion was that this person I responded to stated " I'll never use Win 8 " - as he has in the past.

So why is he reading posts about win8?

Looking at his post history, that should be obvious.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

Perhaps a better question would be to ask why you would think a general Windows 8 thread like this about an inane game would take into consideration whatever modifications you made to your system?

Strictly speaking, the OP could have specified Windows 8 "Free Metro game" or" Free new Windows UI game" but I suspect that would have little effect on the complaint posts in this respect. In fact it could have simply incurred even more such complaints.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to chachazz

First: Thank you chachazz. I don't play games often but once in awhile for a little diversion...

Second: JohnInSJ makes a valid point. Look, this is a Windows forum with a clearly defined Win 8 thread.

It is beyond tedious to wade through the inevitable "I hate Win 8" (and apparently almost everything else windows-related)" responses.

Those who prefer a more user-controlled OS have other choices. MS Windows was never marketed as a "tinkerer's OS" so complaining endlessly about MS's desire to control the continuity of their marketed OS is rather pointless.

You do not have to like it...or even use it. Use a free-source code OS...yep, takes more work, but then you have much greater user control over customization...

In fact, one of the largest gripes about MS Windows systems are that they are far more varied than their Apple OS counter-parts, making things such as absolute hardware compatibility and security issues tougher to ensure.

You can't have it both ways...
--
Deeds, not words

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz

Thanks I download it onto my Surface, fun to kick around with.

Blake