All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

[WIN8] $40 offer - need to be installed right away?

I looked at »www.microsoftstore.com/s ··· ws_8_Pro and my impression is that it would need to be installed right away, if I buy it as part of their $40 offer. Is that right?

Personally, I'd prefer to just get the serial, and install it at some later time.

TIA
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru

Not true! You can install it anytime you want as long as you have valid product key. It doesn't have to be installed right away!

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy to aurgathor

Mod

to aurgathor
Only the "Windows 8 Media Center Pack for free", where you obtain a free key from here, has to be activated by Jan 31, 2013.
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

said by auggy:

...a free key from here, ...

From that page...
quote:
If you were running Windows 8, your PC will restart automatically and Windows 8 Pro With Media Center will be on it.

If you were running Windows 8 Pro, your PC will restart automatically and Windows Media Center will be available for use.
Almost seems to imply that this will also upgrade a non-pro version to Pro.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

1 edit

ajwees41

Premium Member

will not I tried with windows 8 core the version that comes pre installed on computers.

»[WIN8] "Free Media Center upgrade "
MrFixit1
join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

MrFixit1 to SipSizzurp

to SipSizzurp
That page is for both the Media center upgrade and the Win8ProPack upgrades .
The Win8ProPack is what you use to upgrade Core to Pro , and does include Media Center .
It is also $69.99
At least it is till Jan 31 .
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

2 edits

ajwees41

Premium Member

If you were running Windows 8, your PC will restart automatically and Windows 8 Pro With Media Center will be on it.

If you were running Windows 8 Pro, your PC will restart automatically and Windows Media Center will be available for use.

the above is what I replied to no free pro upgrade.
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned) to aurgathor

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

I looked at »www.microsoftstore.com/s ··· ws_8_Pro and my impression is that it would need to be installed right away, if I buy it as part of their $40 offer. Is that right?

Personally, I'd prefer to just get the serial, and install it at some later time.

TIA

Good question, I was wondering that as well.

sekim
MVM
join:1999-08-17
Saint Petersburg, FL

sekim

MVM

If you truly need Media Center someday after jan31, the $10 won't seem a terrible price. The free Media Center keys will expire if not installed by that date, but the Pro $15 and $40 upgrades is something you paid for and will eternally be yours.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Thanks for all who replied. Yes, it need not be installed, but I ended up doing it anyhow to get the Media Center freebee. Still waiting for that email...

With the Classic shell, it's actually not that bad. Of course there were a few odd things like Win8's dislike of my display (1280x1024) and video card.

Can I just delete Windows.old, or there's a better way to delete unneeded files?

TIA

NoOneCares
join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR

NoOneCares

said by aurgathor:

Can I just delete Windows.old, or there's a better way to delete unneeded files?

TIA

Use the Clean Disk utility to do it otherwise it's pretty hard to delete Windows.old (couldn't do it from an Administrator elevated CMD).