Premium
join:2004-01-04
Wandering
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to YukonHawk

Re: [Connectivity] Purchase your own modem = Comcast interfering

Ha. I left Comcast Xfinity Voice for Vonage. $9.99 a month + taxes. I don't even use my home phone that much to justify $47+ a month for Comcast Phone.
--
A citizen of The United States of Amnesia. How quickly we forget.

MisterP

join:2012-10-11
US
reply to fatmanskinny
OR, you could get a 5341J Zoom modem, better modem (CableLabs said so, so ), better warranty, 8 channel down for 70 bucks and stick it to The Man/The System (The Motorola man that is)

Come to the dark side lol

This comes from a former 6121 owner who got fed up with the T3s and etc issues and was especially glad I switched when Motorola's firmware "solution" to the T3/T4 issue was not to actually address/resolve it, but just to lock out the offending channel, thus dropping you to two upstreams. Hooray for complacency and band-aids.

KitFox

join:2002-10-09
Denver, CO
kudos:1
reply to fatmanskinny
The custom firmware on the routers will probably have the SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) firewall activated by default. It allows things like Javascript and specific web sites and such to be blocked. Unfortunately it also demolishes the CPU of all but the most hardy of routers. I have a router with a very hefty CPU. Routing gigabit internally is a fraction of a percent of the CPU normally. The firewall spikes the CPU and network handling and reduces the usable bandwidth tremendously.

Try turning off the firewall feature of the router and see if that helps.