uniqs

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira

Premium Member

[Weather] 80 car pileup on 401

When will they learn to drive for the conditions. Slippery roads and bad visibility equal train wreck »www.cbc.ca/m/touch/news/ ··· eup.html

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

Non mobile link »www.cbc.ca/news/canada/t ··· eup.html

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

We often make fun of the Americans (at least around here) for closing the Thruway at the drop of a hat whenever there's any lake effect snow, but this is probably exactly why they do.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to koira

to koira
I heard on CBC, yes the publicly subsidized boondoggle according to some, that the Libs are worried some delegates cannot get to the convention.

Will Winn or Pooputeloo lose by a vote and the history of Ontario changes from a snow squall?

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira

Premium Member

At least now they have an excuse.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
they could always call the military in.
Warez_Zealot
join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

Warez_Zealot to koira

to koira
*clapping hands slowly*

Great job. Must be a new record. Hopefully no serious injuries or fatalities.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to koira

Premium Member

to koira
Left for Toronto straight from work.... On the Queensway heading west, heard this on the radio, and ended up in Kanata instead..... sitting in traffic on the 401 would have been a better choice

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by corster:

Left for Toronto straight from work.... On the Queensway heading west, heard this on the radio, and ended up in Kanata instead..... sitting in traffic on the 401 would have been a better choice

Were you trying to avoid the 401 by taking the 7?

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to koira

Premium Member

to koira
I drove from TO to Ottawa yesterday - the forecast was pretty obvious that conditions were going to suck in the afternoon; which I why I left earlier in the day...

People need to drive to conditions... Just cause the limit is 100, doesn't mean you have to drive 100.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
said by JC_:

said by corster:

No, Highway 7 is so far out of the way that far east that it really didn't make any sense to even try.
corster

corster to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
said by JC_:

said by corster:

No, I just decided not to go to Toronto this weekend, and didn't get off the Queensway at the 416.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by corster:

No, I just decided not to go to Toronto this weekend, and didn't get off the Queensway at the 416.

Welcome to the reality of a decision I made decades ago to not go to Toronto on any day of the week unless I absolutely have to.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to koira

Premium Member

to koira
I thought the accident was further east originally. My father drove from Port Hope to Pickering and back for years. He said that there would be no snow anywhere...except Newtonville. I have seen this as well there is nothing then you get to Newtonville and it would be a white out.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by corster:

Welcome to the reality of a decision I made decades ago to not go to Toronto on any day of the week unless I absolutely have to.

Likewise.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to donoreo

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

I thought the accident was further east originally. My father drove from Port Hope to Pickering and back for years. He said that there would be no snow anywhere...except Newtonville. I have seen this as well there is nothing then you get to Newtonville and it would be a white out.

All my experience in travelling the 115 since it was a dirt road is one interchange west of this "Newtonville", which I've never heard the area referred to btw, but there are areas that are far closer to lake effect conditions along the 401 east of Oshawa . Must be some geographic combination that gives it more snow if that is even the case.

Bender_2k
join:2003-01-12

Bender_2k to DKS

to DKS
The more I do the 401 trip between Toronto and Ottawa (GF lives in Ottawa) the more I'm convinced people in the Toronto area have no clue how to drive.

Don't get me wrong I love Toronto but all the near death situations I've ever had on the 401 have happened near Toronto while the most pleasant driving I've had is always near Ottawa.

BryceS
join:2007-09-17
Stouffville, ON

BryceS

said by Bender_2k:

The more I do the 401 trip between Toronto and Ottawa (GF lives in Ottawa) the more I'm convinced people in the Toronto area have no clue how to drive.

Don't get me wrong I love Toronto but all the near death situations I've ever had on the 401 have happened near Toronto while the most pleasant driving I've had is always near Ottawa.

Why not just take the train or fly?

So much easier than driving and you get to relax.

If you figure most vehicles get 30mpg there and back it is nearly the same price as taking a train.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
LOL, haters gonna hate...

Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON

Devanchya to Bender_2k

Premium Member

to Bender_2k
Most people who comment on the "near death" near Toronto aren't use to the density of the traffic.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by peterboro:

said by corster:

Likewise.

You guys should both move to Vancouver. I understand they have official Toronto-hating clubs there that you can join.

I'm no longer in the city but I still miss the place. I might just take a drive down to Pusateri's this afternoon just for the hell of it.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by peterboro:

said by corster:

Likewise.

I would too, except I live here.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Devanchya

Premium Member

to Devanchya
said by Devanchya:

Most people who comment on the "near death" near Toronto aren't use to the density of the traffic.

The part of the 401 where this happened only has an AADT of 80,000 which for a six lane highway is not dense at all. Things really drop off the 401 once you get east of Oshawa. The issue here was that people on the North side of Lake Ontario aren't used to just how quickly and suddenly lake effect snow can hit, and just how quickly conditions can degrade.

That, and they were probably all tailgating each other. The 401 is a rat race from Windsor all the way to the Quebec border.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to Devanchya

Premium Member

to Devanchya
said by Devanchya:

And have never driven in or around Montreal... Toronto drivers may kill you through incompetence; Montreal drivers kill for sport!

I work in the city; because I have to... I like being close enough to go Toronto when I want (shows, sports, etc) - I'm about an hour away - but also like the peace of not living there...
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

I'll point out that is a result of you not wearing the pants in your family and as we recently discovered it is both literally and figuratively.

CanadianRip
join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON

CanadianRip to koira

to koira
Maybe its just me, but I notice few people in Ontario install Winter tires. I think everyone should do themselves a favour and drive a car with modern winter tires. Even with dry pavement the compounds allow you to avoid skidding and sliding as long as you do with a typical set of "all season" tires.

You don't need to use the "we don't get a enough snow" excuse. They're not snow tires, they're winter tires. While stupidity will still get you into accidents, lets just say the tires will give you a quite a bit more forgiveness.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by donoreo:

I'll point out that is a result of you not wearing the pants in your family and as we recently discovered it is both literally and figuratively.

I just asked one of my daughters why she had no pants on. She said it was fun.

oh my
@videotron.ca

oh my

Anon

said by donoreo:

said by peterboro:

said by donoreo:

That just sounds so wrong.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

Tell her to hold that thought for 15 years when it is more appropriate.
peterboro

peterboro (banned) to CanadianRip

to CanadianRip
said by CanadianRip:

Maybe its just me, but I notice few people in Ontario install Winter tires. I think everyone should do themselves a favour and drive a car with modern winter tires. Even with dry pavement the compounds allow you to avoid skidding and sliding as long as you do with a typical set of "all season" tires.

You don't need to use the "we don't get a enough snow" excuse. They're not snow tires, they're winter tires. While stupidity will still get you into accidents, lets just say the tires will give you a quite a bit more forgiveness.

I run winters on all my vehicles and I think it should be mandatory.