Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to DKS

Re: [Weather] 80 car pileup on 401

said by DKS:

said by peterboro:

said by corster:

No, I just decided not to go to Toronto this weekend, and didn't get off the Queensway at the 416.

Welcome to the reality of a decision I made decades ago to not go to Toronto on any day of the week unless I absolutely have to.

Likewise.

You guys should both move to Vancouver. I understand they have official Toronto-hating clubs there that you can join.

I'm no longer in the city but I still miss the place. I might just take a drive down to Pusateri's this afternoon just for the hell of it.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

said by peterboro:

said by corster:

No, I just decided not to go to Toronto this weekend, and didn't get off the Queensway at the 416.

Welcome to the reality of a decision I made decades ago to not go to Toronto on any day of the week unless I absolutely have to.

Likewise.

I would too, except I live here.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Devanchya
said by Devanchya:

Most people who comment on the "near death" near Toronto aren't use to the density of the traffic.

The part of the 401 where this happened only has an AADT of 80,000 which for a six lane highway is not dense at all. Things really drop off the 401 once you get east of Oshawa. The issue here was that people on the North side of Lake Ontario aren't used to just how quickly and suddenly lake effect snow can hit, and just how quickly conditions can degrade.

That, and they were probably all tailgating each other. The 401 is a rat race from Windsor all the way to the Quebec border.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Devanchya
said by Devanchya:

Most people who comment on the "near death" near Toronto aren't use to the density of the traffic.

And have never driven in or around Montreal... Toronto drivers may kill you through incompetence; Montreal drivers kill for sport!

I work in the city; because I have to... I like being close enough to go Toronto when I want (shows, sports, etc) - I'm about an hour away - but also like the peace of not living there...

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

I'll point out that is a result of you not wearing the pants in your family and as we recently discovered it is both literally and figuratively.

CanadianRip

join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON
reply to koira
Maybe its just me, but I notice few people in Ontario install Winter tires. I think everyone should do themselves a favour and drive a car with modern winter tires. Even with dry pavement the compounds allow you to avoid skidding and sliding as long as you do with a typical set of "all season" tires.

You don't need to use the "we don't get a enough snow" excuse. They're not snow tires, they're winter tires. While stupidity will still get you into accidents, lets just say the tires will give you a quite a bit more forgiveness.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by donoreo:

I'll point out that is a result of you not wearing the pants in your family and as we recently discovered it is both literally and figuratively.

I just asked one of my daughters why she had no pants on. She said it was fun.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

oh my

@videotron.ca
said by donoreo:

said by peterboro:

said by donoreo:

That just sounds so wrong.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

Tell her to hold that thought for 15 years when it is more appropriate.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to CanadianRip
said by CanadianRip:

Maybe its just me, but I notice few people in Ontario install Winter tires. I think everyone should do themselves a favour and drive a car with modern winter tires. Even with dry pavement the compounds allow you to avoid skidding and sliding as long as you do with a typical set of "all season" tires.

You don't need to use the "we don't get a enough snow" excuse. They're not snow tires, they're winter tires. While stupidity will still get you into accidents, lets just say the tires will give you a quite a bit more forgiveness.

I run winters on all my vehicles and I think it should be mandatory.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to koira
Well, thanks to the pair of Toronto-haters here, I was reminded of all the nice things down there and I did take a drive in this afternoon. As usual, good things and bad down there, and some of it relates directly to the subject of this thread.

The good: came back with a huge supply of wonderful yummy stuff from Pusateri's! It was sunnier down there than here, and warmer, and nice to be in the old neighbourhood again. All around a nice little excursion and shopping trip.

The bad -- and I post this especially to make peterboro See Profile happy, who seems to enjoy this kind of thing...... I don't know if I've just been in the burbs too long, or if there are more crazies on the road than usual, but the following happened once I got into the big smoke:

- big slowdown (almost a stop) on one lane of the 401, with everyone trying to get into another lane. When I was eventually able to get past without getting creamed by an 18-wheeler, the cause of the blockage was a little shitbox going literally about 5 mph. No 4-ways, nothing, just trundling along at 5 mph. I looked at the driver and it was a Chinese woman with a totally stunned look on her face. Maybe that was her normal expression, I don't know.

- almost got sideswiped by a pickup truck on Avenue Road

- asshole in a blue Audi cuts right in front of me on the 401 with inches to spare

Sheesh!!!!! No wonder my insurance dropped by about 50% after I moved north!
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
-- Wendell Berry

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by Wolfie00:

the cause of the blockage was a little shitbox going literally about 5 mph. No 4-ways, nothing, just trundling along at 5 mph. I looked at the driver and it was a Chinese woman with a totally stunned look on her face. Maybe that was her normal expression, I don't know.

Hahahahaha oh man Wolfie, you just made my weekend. Thank you!

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

The bad -- and I post this especially to make peterboro See Profile happy, who seems to enjoy this kind of thing......

I'm sure there are some of your big fancy words to describe this psychological phenomenon but once you are not regularly exposed to abnormal behaviour you come to finally recognize it as such. I'm glad you are finally coming to terms with your undiagnosed mental illness.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
Nothing wrong that can't be solved with a little traffic enforcement, as I keep saying again and again and again. And speeding, in itself, is not the problem. None of the situations I described was a case of speeding, especially not the first one! BTW, the average traffic flow on the 401 at the point that this inscrutable Oriental denizen was driving at a walking pace was around 120 km/h. It's almost a miracle that there wasn't a multi-car pileup.

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
Police really need to start enforcing minimum speed limits too. These guys putzing along at 70 km/h on a 400-series highway are as dangerous as speeders/tailgaters.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
In this case, much more dangerous. I wasn't exaggerating about "walking pace" and no 4-way flashers, with normal traffic flowing at maximum speed, creating a speed differential of more than 100 km/h. It was worse than placing a large boulder in the middle of the 401, because at least you would know from a distance that the boulder isn't moving.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to mr weather
said by mr weather:

Police really need to start enforcing minimum speed limits too. These guys putzing along at 70 km/h on a 400-series highway are as dangerous as speeders/tailgaters.

There is no minimum in Ontario. The only requirement is that a vehicle be capable of going at least 60KM/h, but if they are going less than that to use four-way flashers.

Quebec has minimum speed limits, it's 60 for 100KM/h roads.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
said by Gone:

There is no minimum in Ontario. The only requirement is that a vehicle be capable of going at least 60KM/h, but if they are going less than that to use four-way flashers.

Yes and no. There is no posted minimum speed, but that's not the only requirement. You can still get a ticket and two demerit points for "unnecessary slow driving":

132. (1) No motor vehicle shall be driven on a highway at such a slow rate of speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic thereon except when the slow rate of speed is necessary for safe operation having regard to all the circumstances. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 132 (1).

Personally I think we should be able to charge an individual in a case like this with dangerous driving, because that's literally what it was. Somebody could have been killed.
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
-- Wendell Berry

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
There is no legislated minimum, but you are correct that there is a provision for unnecessarily slow driving. That Oriental denizen you were talking about on the 401 would - and should - have been subject to such a charge.

Though, if she had her four-way flashers on she probably wouldn't be charged with anything. A cop would just tell her to exit the highway and use surface streets.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to koira
'know I see weather related accidents like this and go "People just refuse to drive for the conditions"

But then again I see the insanity when it's clear and dry and go "Okay, when did we start giving out licenses in cereal boxes?"

Yesterday while traveling east on the 401 collectors in Scarborough my friends and I notice an SUV make an unsafe lane change (no blinkers, nada and near cut off a second SUV.

Now normally this happens and life goes on right?

Wrong, SUV #2 speeds up, cuts in front of SUV #1 while the second SUV leans over to the point where my friends and I are like "screw this" and I proceed to drop my speed to a little under 100km/h while watching these two idiots cut each other off while nearly losing control of their vehicles like something out of a Mad Max movie.

If I had been thinking of it I would have called the police but at the speed those two idiots were traveling none of us caught enough of the license plate numbers to be of any use.

No wreckage further ahead so we assumed that at worst the idiots went off the highway and began to beat on each other...

NefCanuck

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to koira
This is why I love driving on the 407 whenever i'm in the GTA - the idiots don't pay to drive on it.

It's the only highway in the region where people actually leave the left lane open and actually drive a reasonable speed.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by corster:

This is why I love driving on the 407 whenever i'm in the GTA - the idiots don't pay to drive on it.

I'm going to start using it as well when I go through Toronto.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to corster
said by corster:

It's the only highway in the region where people actually leave the left lane open and actually drive a reasonable speed.

Go right ahead - I'll never use it; after the c*ck suckers cost me $500 and almost suspended my license... But it's a well O/T story, so I won't elaborate here.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to corster
said by corster:

I never really noticed that but now that you mention it, it might be true! Also, there are far fewer big trucks on the 407 than on other 400-series highways, especially the 401. Just be warned that, contrary to rumours, speed traps do exist on the 407. Haven't been nabbed myself yet but I've seen lots of them.
--
-- Wendell Berry

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
I've seen lots of morons on the 407, usually in souped up Japanese automobiles that weave in and out of traffic at ungodly speeds. While there is enforcement, it's few and far between.

Then again, I've also experienced more than enough traffic jams on the 407 between Vaughan and Markham that don't exist either, so what do I know.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
said by Gone:

I've seen lots of morons on the 407, usually in souped up Japanese automobiles that weave in and out of traffic at ungodly speeds. While there is enforcement, it's few and far between.

Then again, I've also experienced more than enough traffic jams on the 407 between Vaughan and Markham that don't exist either, so what do I know.

What you're seeing depends really on the time of day and location.

On weekends, which is when I mainly use the 407, if you aren't doing at least 110 in the rightmost lane you will get run over by everyone, including Grandma in her Camry (as she is apparently whipping along to church I guess ) not to say that's the speed I do, just an observation.

On weekdays, its a much more mixed bag, especially in the "peak zones" (which have grown markedly in the last few years I've noticed) say I'm traveling from Mississauga to Hamilton in the morning, that direction & time there is almost no one on the road and I could likely peg my foot to the floor the entire way.

Drive from Mississauga into Toronto in the morning and the traffic moves well, but no NASCAR opportunities there.

So its all relative to how you use it.

NefCanuck

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

I also don't drive on the 407 during weekday peak hours, so there's rarely any traffic for those idiots to weave in and out of.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to koira
So coming up the DVP around the Don Mills exit, I see cops/tow trucks.

Some moron took the off ramp too fast slid off the road into the ditch.

Not to mention the other idiot I saw today driving at a good clip with one of those space saver spare tires.

Some people will NEVER learn
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to NefCanuck
said by NefCanuck:

said by Gone:

Drive from Mississauga into Toronto in the morning and the traffic moves well, but no NASCAR opportunities there.

NefCanuck

407 ETR doesn't go to Toronto.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by Last Parade:

said by NefCanuck:

said by Gone:

NefCanuck

407 ETR doesn't go to Toronto.

Touche
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......