Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to Stem Bolt

MVM

to Stem Bolt

Re: 10 Years After SQL Slammer

That was quite the night. I remember my first 1434 hit came from a site in Poland which was notorious for infections which really tipped off something was up. I had done a presentation couple of months before for a number of 3 letter agencies and military organizations about issues around UDP port 1434, but up till then it appeared to be a non-issue. I remember grabbing a capture of the traffic, having a quick look and then getting on the phone to call up various response groups but by then it was to late, as this worm was nothing short of incredible and whoever wrote it really did think of pretty much everything, except I'm betting even they were surprised at how fast it spread. As a coder I'd have to tip my hat to the author of SQL Slammer, as nothing since has compared to its simple elegance and speed of propagation and I'd be almost willing to bet had the same author as main Code Red author.

Blake

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

Woody79_00

Premium Member

Agreed Link Logger. I remember that day well, my firewalls at work (my old job) got hammered by that thing. That was the day I was thankful for having a good backup plan in place.