Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to resa1983

Re: CNOC speed matching decision due next week

said by resa1983:

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by TSI Marc:

So the problem is that they need to build a 100+ gig network between the APOI head end and our POP at 151 Front.

So what's the due date for that? 2015??

In the next few months, so that TSI can go Agg.

Remember Dupont?
Target dates didn't mean a damn there.

WhyNoUpload

join:2013-01-15
reply to mlerner

So we wont even get 2mbps upgrade? wtf!

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

Remember Dupont?
Target dates didn't mean a damn there.

Same with York Mills - the first upgrade. :\
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

Hum, this isn't rocket science.. we've been planning this with them. I dont see why it wouldn't go smoothly.

Hehehe... You of all people should not take that at face value... I can't count how many times Rogers has missed deadlines for POI upgrades.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

Hum, this isn't rocket science.. we've been planning this with them. I dont see why it wouldn't go smoothly.

But Rogers treats it as if it was, and their legal/marketing types will undoubtedly throw a few potholes in your path at the last minute.
--- from the "Behind every cloud, there's another cloud" school of thought

da_guy2

join:2003-06-10
Kanata, ON
reply to mlerner

Marc,

I know it's a lot to ask for a scheduled right now, but do you think we could get an approximate list in the next week or two? Something along the line of:

Priority 1 POI's (1-3 months)
bla
bla
bla

Priority 2 POI's (3-6 months)
bla
bla
bla

Priority 3 POI's (6 months+)
bla
bla
bla

I don't know if it will make sens from a business stand point (if you find out your in a low priority POI then you'd be more likely to switch) but I know it would make a lot of us feel better about waiting.

Thanks,
David

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by TSI Marc:

But Rogers treats it as if it was, and their legal/marketing types will undoubtedly throw a few potholes in your path at the last minute.
--- from the "Behind every cloud, there's another cloud" school of thought

More like "Behind every upgrade there is...

All of 1 person doing anything, hense it taking 3 extra weeks."
--

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Confused

said by Confused :

Dear Marc,

I am giving you till December to make the switch to higher speeds. If you don't do that by then I will be switching to Start

Thanks

being the fact they have to be all switched by NOVEMBER, or be cut off, I doubt you will have to wait that long.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to HiVolt

I imagine if Rogers does miss deadlines on this, they'll have to extend the cut off date. Cut off is November 15, 2013

koreyb

East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by TwiztedZero:

I imagine if Rogers does miss deadlines on this, they'll have to extend the cut off date. Cut off is November 15, 2013

or they cut off TPIA anyway :P one way to kill the competition. LOL

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

1 recommendation

reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

said by TSI Marc:

Hehehe... You of all people should not take that at face value... I can't count how many times Rogers has missed deadlines for POI upgrades.

You need to understand what I have witnessed...

When all the prior problems existed, when we order gig links from them, they were treating those links the same as any other LAN customer... i.e. usually not the entire pipe gets used.

Once they finally understand that we were going to use every inch of that pipe on every single link.. it meant the they need to plan their network upgrades completely different.

Now that we are all on the same page, they have been relatively timely with their upgrades.

i.e. since then, I have not seen any indication that they dont fully understand what its going to take.

I have personally met with them and we will meet again. The rest of my team has been in daily communication with them...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

Will the switch to AGG require the elimination of all Tek Docsis 2 modem tiers/users? Rogers DOES require D3 ONLY for the new higher down/up tiers.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to TSI Marc

Thats good to hear.

koreyb

East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

Will the switch to AGG require the elimination of all Tek Docsis 2 modem tiers/users? Rogers DOES require D3 ONLY for the new higher down/up tiers.

I would say anything but lite (6mb) cable will require D3 modems. D2 modems based on how rogers has their network built, just can't keep up.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

So the short answer is No. The D2 modems will continue to work. But in some cases, to get the higher speeds, it will require a D3 modem.

I'll try to get a map of what speeds will require what modem.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

da_guy2

join:2003-06-10
Kanata, ON
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

I believe to get the faster speeds you'll need D3. If your happy with your current speeds, the D2 will probably be ok.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Thats good to hear.

I think so.. in my opinion they are genuinely working with us to accomplish the task at hand.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
kudos:1

How do I know if im elidgible for the 45/7 package that has been talked about in this thread? Any date when this should be availible from TSI approx this package is veryyy good. With 1mb upload my brother cant even use skype or teamviewer without maxing the upstream then lags my downstream to the point i start to freeze on fps games..

You earlier said march-april will be when TekSavvy goes AGG? Just asking again so I know i understood that right, that would give everyone 35/3 who are on 28/1? Sorry I am new and I don't understand everything completely yet...

TouchMyBox

@rogers.com
reply to HiVolt

So I guess this means I'll be getting upload speeds from this century sometime later this year then?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20

1 edit
reply to koreyb

said by koreyb:

said by elitefx:

I would say anything but lite (6mb) cable will require D3 modems. D2 modems based on how rogers has their network built, just can't keep up.

It isn't really related to how their network is built. However, Rogers has issued a letter stating that as of April (April 1st?) D2 will only be allowed on 6mbit. All existing customers will be grandfathered of course.

Then again, reading those letters suggests that Rogers doesn't want to sell Teksavvy any new 18mbit or 28mbit accounts after April 16th:
»Re: Update on matching Rogers new speeds?

I have (edit: I have NOT) read the decision today, but reading between the lines it seems like the CRTC overruled that bit of stupidity, but....
--
electronicsguru.ca

TSI Paul
Business Services Rep
Premium
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON
reply to mikee

said by mikee:

How do I know if im elidgible for the 45/7 package that has been talked about in this thread? Any date when this should be availible from TSI approx this package is veryyy good. With 1mb upload my brother cant even use skype or teamviewer without maxing the upstream then lags my downstream to the point i start to freeze on fps games..

You earlier said march-april will be when TekSavvy goes AGG? Just asking again so I know i understood that right, that would give everyone 35/3 who are on 28/1? Sorry I am new and I don't understand everything completely yet...

I would check with Rogers to see if you can get the service from them. Once Aggregated we will be able to offer the exact speeds they offer.

I'll let Marc speak about timing as he would know more about that than I.

Thanks,
Paul

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

Speaking about modems; and totally disregarding Docsis 2 here on in...

I wished while they were also negotiating the arrangements for the Big POI Transition that TekSavvy could've shoehorned in some newer modems to be allowed into the approved modem list like the outstanding SB6141 for instance which does 8x4 bonding I think that would be fitting for use on the new ATPIA system. (like deep in the tiny microprint on the contracts for the ATPIA's) lol

*sigh*
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
reply to mlerner

well one good thing is this means one day I can get tek again with no cap on cable when that will be who knows.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
reply to mikee

said by mikee:

Call Rogers, ask them if you switched over to them, is the "HU" code available in your area for the 45mbps package. If it is, you'd have access to it via Teksavvy on Agg. Otherwise, you're stuck with 45/4.
Keep in mind the HU code is mostly for large city centres right now.
--

koreyb

East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Teddy Boom

said by Teddy Boom:

said by koreyb:

said by elitefx:

It isn't really related to how their network is built. However, Rogers has issued a letter stating that as of April (April 1st?) D2 will only be allowed on 6mbit. All existing customers will be grandfathered of course.

Then again, reading those letters suggests that Rogers doesn't want to sell Teksavvy any new 18mbit or 28mbit accounts after April 16th:
»Re: Update on matching Rogers new speeds?

I have read the decision today, but reading between the lines it seems like the CRTC overruled that bit of stupidity, but....

Well shaw has been offering much higher speeds than Rogers on D2 modems without issue, even in highly populated areas. It's not technically impossible with a D2, but based on how the ROGERS NETWORKS are built, D2's just don't give you the performance. I NEVER recommend anyone get a D2 modem at this point and have had a huge issue with Teksavvy offering D2's for anything above 10mb, cause the less technically savvy will always pick the cheaper one. I recommended someone to TSI, and went against my recommendation due to a CSR saying the cheaper one would work and now complains about slow downs, which from what tests I have done, seems to be local node congestion D2's are affected directly by. I have a D3 on the same poi, in the same building and have 0 issue.

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
kudos:1
reply to resa1983

Alright well i'm just going to assume I'm in a population dense area. I live a 3 minute walk from CSIS, 5-10minute drive from parliament hill. 6th most dense area in canada. Should be fine!

Now just the wait for TekSavvy to go AGG

Thanks for the help guys! Appreciate the quick help.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20
reply to koreyb

said by koreyb:

I recommended someone to TSI, and went against my recommendation due to a CSR saying the cheaper one would work and now complains about slow downs, which from what tests I have done, seems to be local node congestion D2's are affected directly by. I have a D3 on the same poi, in the same building and have 0 issue.

This isn't really the right thread for the discussion.. In fact I think we should open up another overarching modem thread because a lot of things should be happening (D2 rules changes, new modems?, status of DCW775).

However, I will say.. your sample size just isn't big enough. I've explained the difference between Docsis levels to at least 150 customers over the last year. I give my customers 90 days to change their minds at no cost. The vast majority of Express customers choose the cheaper modem, and none have come back for an exchange.

Also, a simple factory reset can clear up a lot of congestion issues on D2 modems (and presumably D3 as well). A factory reset allows the modem to change to a less congested channel.
--
electronicsguru.ca

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to mikee

On the whole Aggregated-TPIA front, We are already ATPIA with Videotron and we will be on Cogeco as of next week also. We'll be eating lots of costs until the CBB decision is made.. Technically we're already on ATPIA with Shaw also...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Perma

join:2011-12-20
reply to mlerner

Any direct answers on when certain areas should receive higher uploads?

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

I have personally met with them and we will meet again.

Did you count your fingers before & after the meeting?