Business Services Rep
Premium
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON
kudos:4
reply to mikee

Re: CNOC speed matching decision due next week

said by mikee:

How do I know if im elidgible for the 45/7 package that has been talked about in this thread? Any date when this should be availible from TSI approx this package is veryyy good. With 1mb upload my brother cant even use skype or teamviewer without maxing the upstream then lags my downstream to the point i start to freeze on fps games..

You earlier said march-april will be when TekSavvy goes AGG? Just asking again so I know i understood that right, that would give everyone 35/3 who are on 28/1? Sorry I am new and I don't understand everything completely yet...

I would check with Rogers to see if you can get the service from them. Once Aggregated we will be able to offer the exact speeds they offer.

I'll let Marc speak about timing as he would know more about that than I.

Thanks,
Paul

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

Will the switch to AGG require the elimination of all Tek Docsis 2 modem tiers/users? Rogers DOES require D3 ONLY for the new higher down/up tiers.

Speaking about modems; and totally disregarding Docsis 2 here on in...

I wished while they were also negotiating the arrangements for the Big POI Transition that TekSavvy could've shoehorned in some newer modems to be allowed into the approved modem list like the outstanding SB6141 for instance which does 8x4 bonding I think that would be fitting for use on the new ATPIA system. (like deep in the tiny microprint on the contracts for the ATPIA's) lol

*sigh*
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
reply to mlerner

well one good thing is this means one day I can get tek again with no cap on cable when that will be who knows.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to mikee

said by mikee:

How do I know if im elidgible for the 45/7 package that has been talked about in this thread? Any date when this should be availible from TSI approx this package is veryyy good. With 1mb upload my brother cant even use skype or teamviewer without maxing the upstream then lags my downstream to the point i start to freeze on fps games..

You earlier said march-april will be when TekSavvy goes AGG? Just asking again so I know i understood that right, that would give everyone 35/3 who are on 28/1? Sorry I am new and I don't understand everything completely yet...

Call Rogers, ask them if you switched over to them, is the "HU" code available in your area for the 45mbps package. If it is, you'd have access to it via Teksavvy on Agg. Otherwise, you're stuck with 45/4.
Keep in mind the HU code is mostly for large city centres right now.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Teddy Boom

said by Teddy Boom:

said by koreyb:

said by elitefx:

Will the switch to AGG require the elimination of all Tek Docsis 2 modem tiers/users? Rogers DOES require D3 ONLY for the new higher down/up tiers.

I would say anything but lite (6mb) cable will require D3 modems. D2 modems based on how rogers has their network built, just can't keep up.

It isn't really related to how their network is built. However, Rogers has issued a letter stating that as of April (April 1st?) D2 will only be allowed on 6mbit. All existing customers will be grandfathered of course.

Then again, reading those letters suggests that Rogers doesn't want to sell Teksavvy any new 18mbit or 28mbit accounts after April 16th:
»Re: Update on matching Rogers new speeds?

I have read the decision today, but reading between the lines it seems like the CRTC overruled that bit of stupidity, but....

Well shaw has been offering much higher speeds than Rogers on D2 modems without issue, even in highly populated areas. It's not technically impossible with a D2, but based on how the ROGERS NETWORKS are built, D2's just don't give you the performance. I NEVER recommend anyone get a D2 modem at this point and have had a huge issue with Teksavvy offering D2's for anything above 10mb, cause the less technically savvy will always pick the cheaper one. I recommended someone to TSI, and went against my recommendation due to a CSR saying the cheaper one would work and now complains about slow downs, which from what tests I have done, seems to be local node congestion D2's are affected directly by. I have a D3 on the same poi, in the same building and have 0 issue.

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
kudos:1
reply to resa1983

Alright well i'm just going to assume I'm in a population dense area. I live a 3 minute walk from CSIS, 5-10minute drive from parliament hill. 6th most dense area in canada. Should be fine!

Now just the wait for TekSavvy to go AGG

Thanks for the help guys! Appreciate the quick help.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20
reply to koreyb

said by koreyb:

I recommended someone to TSI, and went against my recommendation due to a CSR saying the cheaper one would work and now complains about slow downs, which from what tests I have done, seems to be local node congestion D2's are affected directly by. I have a D3 on the same poi, in the same building and have 0 issue.

This isn't really the right thread for the discussion.. In fact I think we should open up another overarching modem thread because a lot of things should be happening (D2 rules changes, new modems?, status of DCW775).

However, I will say.. your sample size just isn't big enough. I've explained the difference between Docsis levels to at least 150 customers over the last year. I give my customers 90 days to change their minds at no cost. The vast majority of Express customers choose the cheaper modem, and none have come back for an exchange.

Also, a simple factory reset can clear up a lot of congestion issues on D2 modems (and presumably D3 as well). A factory reset allows the modem to change to a less congested channel.
--
electronicsguru.ca

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to mikee

On the whole Aggregated-TPIA front, We are already ATPIA with Videotron and we will be on Cogeco as of next week also. We'll be eating lots of costs until the CBB decision is made.. Technically we're already on ATPIA with Shaw also...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Perma

join:2011-12-20
reply to mlerner

Any direct answers on when certain areas should receive higher uploads?

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

I have personally met with them and we will meet again.

Did you count your fingers before & after the meeting?

underubb

@teksavvy.com
reply to koreyb

said by koreyb:

said by underubb :

lol; If we all move to start the switch to aggregated will be a lot faster/easier for TSI.

Not totally... less income tsi has, the less they will be able to afford to throw at this.

TSI Marc implied the limiting factor was "shuffling" and waiting for Rogers to install hardware, he made no mention of a $ shortage... heck I would totally pay more to TSI and suffer an outage, and many other things if it made TSI's transition to aggregated faster...

...9 months maybe(tm)...

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to mikee

said by mikee:

Alright well i'm just going to assume I'm in a population dense area. I live a 3 minute walk from CSIS,

Yep, they're pretty dense.

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
kudos:1
reply to underubb

Yeah, let's hope that they will change to agg with-in the next 3 months. I really get annoyed when my upstream gets maxed out and can't do anything with my download.

veriphone

join:2011-01-29
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

On the whole Aggregated-TPIA front, We are already ATPIA with Videotron and we will be on Cogeco as of next week also. We'll be eating lots of costs until the CBB decision is made.. Technically we're already on ATPIA with Shaw also...

Marc,
Speaking of Cogeco ATPIA when can one sign up for that service, see available packages, speeds, etc.? I am in Cogeco territory and am very interested in the long delayed Cogeco deal. Tried checking on your web site by entering my postal code and it shows "Oops! We were unable to find a product that matches your postal code."
Since you'll be live with Cogeco next week, shouldn't you publish all the details so people can get familiar and decide what package they want to sign up on?
Thanks.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

Why are people surprised at the outcome? I expected it...

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to veriphone

said by veriphone:

said by TSI Marc:

Marc,
Speaking of Cogeco ATPIA when can one sign up for that service, see available packages, speeds, etc.? I am in Cogeco territory and am very interested in the long delayed Cogeco deal. Tried checking on your web site by entering my postal code and it shows "Oops! We were unable to find a product that matches your postal code."
Since you'll be live with Cogeco next week, shouldn't you publish all the details so people can get familiar and decide what package they want to sign up on?
Thanks.

Well that's the thing.. the CBB rates are completely retarded as they are now with Cogeco... so our ability to do up packages that make sense just isn't there. i.e. the packages I would make right now, you wouldn't want to buy them and I'd look bad just for offering them!

I mean.. I could offer our lower offering maybe.. like the 75gig option. moreover though, we didn't want to put something out there only to have to change the rates again once the CBB decision comes out. Its quite a bit of work to send notices... we have to give 30 days notice to change rates.. we also didn't want to go too soon also since if we had to live with existing rates. it would have meant raising rates to our existing TPIA (non-aggregated) subs here in Chatham.. so we decided to wait..
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

veriphone

I know you didn't do it on purpose Marc but you got me confused )
So next week you CAN do Cogeco and it'll be LIVE, but you don't want and will NOT do it because of the CBB rates? Thing is I am tired of my DSL speeds...been with you for ever....and the DSL (6M/800K)is solid and working fine but...it is SLOW compared to what cable can offer...hence I'd love to switch and got encouraged reading you are ready to go live with equal speeds to Cogeco...but after reading your reply nopw....I am not sure I understand the options available ...if any for people like me in Cogeco territory....

- wait till CBB comes out (who knows when?!?)
- sit tight and enjoy my DSL for....again who knows how much longer
- Switch to Start get the speeds I want but possibly at higher price than TSI may offer?

- Or.....here is the winner Marc....maybe become one of your better Cogecto cable testers? )

Would appreciate your advice on most valuable option to me and many others in my situation....

MaynardKrebs
Premium

Become a beta tester, for sure

veriphone

Fully agree with you.
Just waiting on Marc to confirm.

MaynardKrebs
Premium

said by veriphone:

Fully agree with you.
Just waiting on Marc to confirm.

Failing that, run your own fiber.....and pass it by my house on the way to yours. :

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

said by MaynardKrebs:

Failing that, run your own fiber.....and pass it by my house on the way to yours. :

... Passes the Metamucil over to Maynard

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to mlerner

Wow, I feel bad for TSI...I know this won't be the end, but I also know it definitely will hurt.

I cannot wait months either (until November potentially) as I needed those upload speeds months ago. Seems like Start is now my only option, but at least they are on par with TSI based on feedback I have gotten. I am reluctant to leave because I have received nothing but (near) perfect service from TSI but I have a feeling the Ottawa POI's won't be near the top of the list so have no choice...

The logging/not opposing the voltage motion issues might have been a recent black eye, but the CRTC decision today was the last nail in the coffin
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to TwiztedZero

LOL

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to d4m1r

said by d4m1r:

Wow, I feel bad for TSI...I know this won't be the end, but I also know it definitely will hurt.

I cannot wait months either (until November potentially) as I needed those upload speeds months ago. Seems like Start is now my only option, but at least they are on par with TSI based on feedback I have gotten. I am reluctant to leave because I have received nothing but (near) perfect service from TSI but I have a feeling the Ottawa POI's won't be near the top of the list...

The logging/not opposing the voltage motion might have been a recent black eye, but the CRTC decision today was the last nail in the coffin

In the immortal words of The Sound of Music.... "So long. Farewell. Auf weidersehen. Goodbye."

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to d4m1r

Actually, as I mentioned earlier, Ottawa is likely the very first on the list...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

d4m1r

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by TSI Marc:

Actually, as I mentioned earlier, Ottawa is likely the very first on the list...

Interesting....At the same time however, you did not sound too sure in that original reference

And by very first, do you mean within the 1.5-3 months time frame? Because if that is the case, it may in fact be worth my while to wait out of sheer luck that something is actually happening first in Ottawa LOL
--

Arcturus

join:2008-04-18
London, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Hopefully in the next week or 2 you will be able to put together some further information on expected update dates for different areas?

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
reply to mlerner

What he said before was within the 1-2 month time frame for the start of the move. Ottawa was included with this.

d4m1r

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

2 edits

said by koreyb:

What he said before was within the 1-2 month time frame for the start of the move. Ottawa was included with this.

Wow....that would be awesome but I hope you understand my skepticism....Why Ottawa? Kinda random....

If that is the case (gotta go find his original post), then I'll stick it out with TSI!

Edit: original statement

"If I'm not mistaken the one that's been thrown around was in Ottawa. Dont hold me to that yet though."

Would appreciate some confirmation given the language and Ottawa has multiple POIs, so would all of them be brought under aggreg at the same time, or could they only convert 1? I'm connected to the Fallowfield one so if they did St Laurant ONLY, it would make no difference for me.

--

mike111

@teksavvy.com
reply to da_guy2

How do I knw if im elidgible for the 45/7 package that has been talked about in this thread? Any date when this should be availible from TSI approx this package is veryyy good. With 1mb upload my brother cant even use skype or teamviewer without maxing the upstream then lags my downstream to the point i start to freeze on fps games