Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to MaynardKrebs

Re: CNOC speed matching decision due next week

said by MaynardKrebs:

Failing that, run your own fiber.....and pass it by my house on the way to yours. :

... Passes the Metamucil over to Maynard

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to mlerner
Wow, I feel bad for TSI...I know this won't be the end, but I also know it definitely will hurt.

I cannot wait months either (until November potentially) as I needed those upload speeds months ago. Seems like Start is now my only option, but at least they are on par with TSI based on feedback I have gotten. I am reluctant to leave because I have received nothing but (near) perfect service from TSI but I have a feeling the Ottawa POI's won't be near the top of the list so have no choice...

The logging/not opposing the voltage motion issues might have been a recent black eye, but the CRTC decision today was the last nail in the coffin
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to TwiztedZero
LOL

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

Wow, I feel bad for TSI...I know this won't be the end, but I also know it definitely will hurt.

I cannot wait months either (until November potentially) as I needed those upload speeds months ago. Seems like Start is now my only option, but at least they are on par with TSI based on feedback I have gotten. I am reluctant to leave because I have received nothing but (near) perfect service from TSI but I have a feeling the Ottawa POI's won't be near the top of the list...

The logging/not opposing the voltage motion might have been a recent black eye, but the CRTC decision today was the last nail in the coffin

In the immortal words of The Sound of Music.... "So long. Farewell. Auf weidersehen. Goodbye."

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to d4m1r
Actually, as I mentioned earlier, Ottawa is likely the very first on the list...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

d4m1r

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by TSI Marc:

Actually, as I mentioned earlier, Ottawa is likely the very first on the list...

Interesting....At the same time however, you did not sound too sure in that original reference

And by very first, do you mean within the 1.5-3 months time frame? Because if that is the case, it may in fact be worth my while to wait out of sheer luck that something is actually happening first in Ottawa LOL
--

Arcturus

join:2008-04-18
London, ON
reply to TSI Marc
Hopefully in the next week or 2 you will be able to put together some further information on expected update dates for different areas?

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
reply to mlerner
What he said before was within the 1-2 month time frame for the start of the move. Ottawa was included with this.

d4m1r

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

2 edits
said by koreyb:

What he said before was within the 1-2 month time frame for the start of the move. Ottawa was included with this.

Wow....that would be awesome but I hope you understand my skepticism....Why Ottawa? Kinda random....

If that is the case (gotta go find his original post), then I'll stick it out with TSI!

Edit: original statement

"If I'm not mistaken the one that's been thrown around was in Ottawa. Dont hold me to that yet though."

Would appreciate some confirmation given the language and Ottawa has multiple POIs, so would all of them be brought under aggreg at the same time, or could they only convert 1? I'm connected to the Fallowfield one so if they did St Laurant ONLY, it would make no difference for me.

--

mike111

@teksavvy.com
reply to da_guy2
How do I knw if im elidgible for the 45/7 package that has been talked about in this thread? Any date when this should be availible from TSI approx this package is veryyy good. With 1mb upload my brother cant even use skype or teamviewer without maxing the upstream then lags my downstream to the point i start to freeze on fps games

chrisl83

join:2011-06-21
Almonte, ON
reply to mlerner
When this happens what should we expect for downtime when they work on a POI ?

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
reply to mike111
said by mike111 :

How do I knw if im elidgible for the 45/7 package that has been talked about in this thread? Any date when this should be availible from TSI approx this package is veryyy good. With 1mb upload my brother cant even use skype or teamviewer without maxing the upstream then lags my downstream to the point i start to freeze on fps games

Way too early to know. Rogers doesn't even offer this profile publicly yet. You likely won't know the answer to this for months. Three things need to happen:

1) Rogers releases this profile publicly
2) TSI decides to offer this profile
3) Your POI is switched over to aggregated

How long any of those 3 will take is unknown.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
said by The Mongoose:

said by mike111 :

Way too early to know. Rogers doesn't even offer this profile publicly yet. You likely won't know the answer to this for months.

You can call and ask Rogers if its available for you on Rogers. They can qualify you. I've done it before - it was included in my submission to the CRTC that I could do this.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
kudos:1
reply to d4m1r
I know finally were getting something first lol! *Hopefully!*

Whats a POI? Sorry for the silly question but I don't know what that is. I really wish we knew how long it will take to become agg like within 3 months time, or 5 months time.. because i'm definitely not going to wait until November but if its before may i'd be cool with that.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
reply to resa1983
said by resa1983:

said by The Mongoose:

said by mike111 :

Way too early to know. Rogers doesn't even offer this profile publicly yet. You likely won't know the answer to this for months.

You can call and ask Rogers if its available for you on Rogers. They can qualify you. I've done it before - it was included in my submission to the CRTC that I could do this.

Fair. Of course this doesn't mean TSI can or will offer it.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
said by The Mongoose:

Fair. Of course this doesn't mean TSI can or will offer it.

True enough..
It'll all depend on the final CRTC decision, which should be coming next month.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to d4m1r
Ottawa is getting looked at first due to capacity on existing TPIA network that would require additional facilities that we know will not get used once migrated...

I have to say though, if you feel the need to move on. That's entirely your choice.. The situation is what it is... I don't think it would have been realistic to change sooner.. We only knew about this speed matching thing in December... Until then we had until the end of this year with no real reason to rush past that.. And considering everything else that needed attention.. We were focused on the most important issues... Now that we know, we will do what we can to accelerate the process. Maybe it's possible to move more quickly.. We'll have to see how it goes. Once the plan is more firmly set, I'll update everybody here. I'm hoping that we'll have that plan set in the next week or two.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

d4m1r

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
Thanks for the confirmation Marc, I really appreciate it and I await that update.

I feel better now as I don't necessarily have to change providers due to the CRTC decision today, because Ottawa is making the switch first which is lucky for me If upon that update TSI is able to provide faster cable internet with the same great customer service in the near future (in 1-2 months, as the competition is able to deliver now I'd argue), I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt in return for the (largely) superb service recieved up to today and I'll sit here and patiently twiddle my thumbs until that update is posted

--

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

.. We'll have to see how it goes...

Why not go after a different demographic for the next year till things sort themselves out?

Current packages at amazing discounted prices. Probably a million light to moderate users out there would be thrilled to catch a break on their already too high utility costs by using your current lineup.

If No Frills can pull it off why not "Teksavvy, Your Canadian Discount ISP".

Give a 10% seniors discount etc. Create a whole new niche in the Internet marketplace.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
Hmm well the CRTC decision certainly sucks. I will be staying with TekSavvy and waiting for the switch of the POI I am on to ATPIA. Also Start's profile for what is the prior 28/1 on Rogers network is $3 more than Teksavvy's 28/1 and 50GB less usage, no thanks. Im not sacrificing usage for speed. As for the 45/3 package, I rarely max out my current 28Mbps except for short periods every day, I'm not paying an extra $13 for 2Mbps more of upload when I don't need it currently.

I use VOIP as well but never really suffer any issues. Actually, it's when everyone in my home is downloading/streaming HD stuff that I suffer any issues. 1Mbps is enough for VOIP and torrent traffic. There's so many well seeded torrents out there that you hardly lose out for severely restricting your client's upload (unlike in years past where people uploading little got penalized by the tracker).

Also the highest VOIP codec is only 64Kbps (think dial up speed), even with over head you're thinking maybe 10kB/s at most if your ATA is transmitting at G.711u. I had doubts that VOIP providers like Vonage allowed the use of that codec since its normally used for inter-network calling, not across WANs. But they do, according to this DSLR thread. According to the thread, even with overhead, you're looking at about 14kB/s of upload is the max your VOIP device will ever use.

30~40kB/s uploading on torrents is enough to get a healthy download, unless you're on some torrent that's got a bad seeder/peer ratio.

In short if torrenting and VOIP are you're uploading concerns, 1Mbps is enough, VOIP only uses 10% of that.

Hopefully the CBB ruling comes back favourably.

Also Marc about launching in Cogeco areas, are you able to at the least match Cogeco's pricing profile by profile but offer higher usage caps? I'm sure there are people the value being able to use their connection more than having a discounted rate.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to mikee
said by mikee:

Whats a POI?

Cable equivalent of a Bell central office.
Its where all the wires for a fairly large geographic area come together. Or in the case of a large city, the area may be small but the # of lines is huge.

Rogers has about 30 POI's around the province. By November 15th, all indie ISP's using cable will not have to connect at each POI they want to serve. They will instead connect to Rogers main cable plant on York Mills Rd. in Toronto. One set of wire cutters could do a LOT of damage - I hope that indies ensure that there are multiple fibre routes out of that complex. The York Mills complex has a major railway line running right beside it - gotta hope there's no big derailment with propane tankers next to it.

koreyb

East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to underubb
said by underubb :

said by koreyb:

said by underubb :

lol; If we all move to start the switch to aggregated will be a lot faster/easier for TSI.

Not totally... less income tsi has, the less they will be able to afford to throw at this.

TSI Marc implied the limiting factor was "shuffling" and waiting for Rogers to install hardware, he made no mention of a $ shortage... heck I would totally pay more to TSI and suffer an outage, and many other things if it made TSI's transition to aggregated faster...

...9 months maybe(tm)...

If people run for the exit on mass, and there is no customers at the same level to replace them, this will cause an income issue, and will in turn cause a shortage of cashflow to pay for things. That was my point..

koreyb

East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 recommendation

reply to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

said by koreyb:

I recommended someone to TSI, and went against my recommendation due to a CSR saying the cheaper one would work and now complains about slow downs, which from what tests I have done, seems to be local node congestion D2's are affected directly by. I have a D3 on the same poi, in the same building and have 0 issue.

This isn't really the right thread for the discussion.. In fact I think we should open up another overarching modem thread because a lot of things should be happening (D2 rules changes, new modems?, status of DCW775).

However, I will say.. your sample size just isn't big enough. I've explained the difference between Docsis levels to at least 150 customers over the last year. I give my customers 90 days to change their minds at no cost. The vast majority of Express customers choose the cheaper modem, and none have come back for an exchange.

Also, a simple factory reset can clear up a lot of congestion issues on D2 modems (and presumably D3 as well). A factory reset allows the modem to change to a less congested channel.

Not to continue this, but lower tech users will not "FACTORY RESET" nor will they mess around with the modem. It either works or it doesn't. I know a lot of people with D2 modems.. almost every one has issues during peak. My point was, D2 modems are obsolete, and to sell a D2 modem and the headache that comes with it to keep it working properly in highly populated areas especially, is not fair or right for lower tech customers. It leaves very bad taste of the ISP, as most think this is an issue with the ISP, not the technology they are using. Look at these forums, and you will see this. Rogers refuses to give anyone over 15mb a d2 modem at this point, so it's time they do the same for the new speed tiers on TPIA. You may not like it, but D2's days are over. Moving forward TSI knowing this is coming, should pick up a cheaper D3 modem like Acanac and others have, for people on a budget, but stop selling D2, as well warn people with D2, they may experience slow downs during peek. They do this with 28x1, but not 18, which has been well documented on here and off as an issue.

I'm not discrediting your theory, but we has more "TECHNICALLY INCLINED" need to realise not all share this and just want things to work correctly without having to "FACTORY RESET" or play with it. It's why APPLE does well.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
reply to mlerner
I had the joy of dealing with a flood all day so am a little out of the loop, there was no announcement?

I thought fridays were reserved for bad news, which I highly doubt the announcement will be

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
reply to elitefx
said by elitefx:

said by TSI Marc:

.. We'll have to see how it goes...

Why not go after a different demographic for the next year till things sort themselves out?

Current packages at amazing discounted prices. Probably a million light to moderate users out there would be thrilled to catch a break on their already too high utility costs by using your current lineup.

If No Frills can pull it off why not "Teksavvy, Your Canadian Discount ISP".

Give a 10% seniors discount etc. Create a whole new niche in the Internet marketplace.

Margins are already super tight at Teksavvy. It costs them at least $20 a customer to lease the last mile from Rogers. Once you add in capacity costs, labour, marketing etc. the profits margins aren't high enough to lower prices while being profitable. If they're going to go the no frills route, something is going to have to give. The fees that Teksavvy pays to Rogers are non negotiable, so the only other things you can cut is your customer support stuff. Also, seniors light internet users are unlikely to even know that TPIAs like Teksavvy exists. To reach those customers, Teksavvy would have to spend more money on marketing to reach that consumer segment.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

We only knew about this speed matching thing in December...

What December would that be? Pretty sure incumbents started filing their 2011-703/704 TNs around December 2011. That's when Rogers originally said they were only doing speed matching on aggregated and the CRTC agreed with Rogers' tariff to that effect in the following months... so TSI should have known about this for over a year already.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
reply to koreyb
said by koreyb:

I'm not discrediting your theory, but we has more "TECHNICALLY INCLINED" need to realise not all share this and just want things to work correctly without having to "FACTORY RESET" or play with it.

If Rogers configured their CMTS properly, the CMTS should automatically issue dynamic channel switch instructions to D2 modems to balance the load across available U/D QAMs on the node, no need to reset the modem for that.

If none of the QAMs have enough spare capacity to accommodate someone trying to use 15+Mbps on D2 then yeah, they are very much screwed.

The same thing that makes DOC3 great screws DOC2 big time: DOC3 allows much more efficient QAM filling and more tightly packed QAMs means less room to accommodate bursty DOC2 modems, which is why most cablecos are axing high-speed tiers on DOC2.

In short: DOC3 breaks DOC2.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

reply to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by TSI Marc:

We only knew about this speed matching thing in December...

What December would that be? Pretty sure incumbents started filing their 2011-703/704 TNs around December 2011. That's when Rogers originally said they were only doing speed matching on aggregated and the CRTC agreed with Rogers' tariff to that effect in the following months... so TSI should have known about this for over a year already.

Sorry, that's not true. We had our speeds upgraded twice if I recall correctly since the 703/704 decisions. We fully expected that the speeds we had.. Would get upgraded the same way as they had always been.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

I_needhelp

join:2004-07-08
reply to mlerner
yo Marc, bro, York POI estimation at LEASTTT.

You can even lie to me if you want.