k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:19

1 recommendation

reply to TwiztedZero

Re: CNOC speed matching decision due next week

Hopefully people don't go crazy switching from one TPIA to another. It costs all the TPIAs a lot of money, and disrupts the network. Of course if you have good reasons, switch to whatever suits you best, but... impatience isn't a good reason
--
electronicsguru.ca

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

Impatience is a good reason, if you have a terminal illness and are on your deathbed right this very moment.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

said by TwiztedZero:

Impatience is a good reason, if you have a terminal illness and are on your deathbed right this very moment.

Yeah, but the install....after 3 missed appointments by the tech ... will kill ya.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

said by veriphone:

Marc,
Speaking of Cogeco ATPIA when can one sign up for that service, see available packages, speeds, etc.? I am in Cogeco territory and am very interested in the long delayed Cogeco deal....

Well that's the thing.. the CBB rates are completely retarded as they are now with Cogeco... so our ability to do up packages that make sense just isn't there. i.e. the packages I would make right now, you wouldn't want to buy them and I'd look bad just for offering them!

I mean.. I could offer our lower offering maybe....

[I have not read ahead after Page 11 to see whether this has already been answered - my apologies if it has.]

Marc, that's understandable, your reasons for holding back.

OTOH, if you DID right now bring to market some packages for GOUGEco areas, would the caps and prices still be better than whatever Cogeco's own retail plans are ?

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by TwiztedZero:

Yeah, but the install....after 3 missed appointments by the tech ... will kill ya.

Either way, please accept my advance condolences.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 recommendation

reply to koreyb

said by koreyb:

....I know a lot of people with D2 modems.. almost every one has issues during peak.

My point was, D2 modems are obsolete, and to sell a D2 modem and the headache that comes with it to keep it working properly in highly populated areas especially, is not fair or right for lower tech customers.

It leaves very bad taste of the ISP, as most think this is an issue with the ISP, not the technology they are using. Look at these forums, and you will see this. Rogers refuses to give anyone over 15mb a d2 modem at this point, so it's time they do the same for the new speed tiers on TPIA.

You may not like it, but D2's days are over. Moving forward TSI knowing this is coming, should pick up a cheaper D3 modem like Acanac and others have, for people on a budget, but stop selling D2 - as well warn people with D2, they may experience slow downs during peak....

Hear, Hear !

I preach this sermon every chance that I get.

It is false economy for customers to save a few bucks up front by choosing a D2 modem, and ISPs should stop offering them, EVEN to folks who choose a lower speed tier and swear that they will never ask to upgrade.

sunnyd71

join:2004-05-22
l7z2t4
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

said by Kewjoe:

My understanding is Teksavvy gained access to the 32 and 75 profiles recently but it's not worth upgrading the infrastructure to offer those speeds. Reason being the move to aggregate would make that investment mostly wasted.

This. Teksavvy is already in process of figuring the schedule with Rogers to convert everything to Aggregated, and following the new Capacity Based Billing rates which should be out sometime this month, Teksavvy may be more able to afford to offer the higher speeds without going broke.

As it is now, if someone were to purchase the 150/10 package on aggregated, Teksavvy wouldn't be able to come close to matching Rogers' price for it due to the ~$1200/100mbps price on capacity.

Are we sure the CBB pricing decision is coming this/next month? I've been looking for any indication of this and I can't find it. Can you provide more info?

simsin0

join:2008-01-06
reply to mlerner

yea any updates on the dates. Can't wait for some more speed!

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to sunnyd71

said by sunnyd71:

said by resa1983:

said by Kewjoe:

My understanding is Teksavvy gained access to the 32 and 75 profiles recently but it's not worth upgrading the infrastructure to offer those speeds. Reason being the move to aggregate would make that investment mostly wasted.

This. Teksavvy is already in process of figuring the schedule with Rogers to convert everything to Aggregated, and following the new Capacity Based Billing rates which should be out sometime this month, Teksavvy may be more able to afford to offer the higher speeds without going broke.

As it is now, if someone were to purchase the 150/10 package on aggregated, Teksavvy wouldn't be able to come close to matching Rogers' price for it due to the ~$1200/100mbps price on capacity.

Are we sure the CBB pricing decision is coming this/next month? I've been looking for any indication of this and I can't find it. Can you provide more info?

Just rumours.
Nothing this upcoming week because of the wireless code of conduct hearings tho.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Perma

join:2011-12-20
reply to mlerner

Will this decision determine whether start.ca can offer unlimited bandwidth?

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03

said by Perma:

They can already do that if they wanted hard enough but the price point likely would not generate many sales.

I am not expecting the CBB hearings to bring the CBB rates anywhere near as low as people here hope they will go, at least not without revised (increased) per-access rates. I am betting on rates around 8k$/Gbps, which is 50-70% less than current rates but still 4-6X more what some people around here are hoping for.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

said by InvalidError:

said by Perma:

They can already do that if they wanted hard enough but the price point likely would not generate many sales.

I am not expecting the CBB hearings to bring the CBB rates anywhere near as low as people here hope they will go, at least not without revised (increased) per-access rates. I am betting on rates around 8k$/Gbps, which is 50-70% less than current rates but still 4-6X more what some people around here are hoping for.

I suspect $8k/Gbps will be the low end of the possible range. It could be as high as $12k/Gbps.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

InvalidError

said by HeadSpinning:

I suspect $8k/Gbps will be the low end of the possible range. It could be as high as $12k/Gbps.

8k$/Gbps (Telus' former AHSSPI rate) is near the optimistic end of my range too.

When I tried guesstimating how much incumbents could charge for aggregation if they built an entire new network for that explicit purpose, I came up with figures as high as 35k$/Gbps.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to mlerner

$8k would be a disappointment, but it would still be an improvement. Some ISPs reported being borderline or even a bit unprofitable at the previous rate ($22k for Bell, I believe it was?), so dropping that to $8k should mean that they can be profitable at their current pricing, perhaps even with a modest price drop. It also means that they can introduce those high-speed packages they've been holding out on (like 50/10), since they'll at least have a final CBB rate to base the business case on.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Jaxom

join:2012-03-10
East York, ON
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

That's what will determine any price changes if any.

We have had a lot of price increases lately. Would rather keep my 28 speed with no price increase thanks.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

It also means that they can introduce those high-speed packages they've been holding out on (like 50/10), since they'll at least have a final CBB rate to base the business case on.

Holding out on 50/10? It just came out. Is there even a wholesale tariff filed for the speed tier? It's more like offering 25/10 for a lot of the IISPs or making it profitable for the few that do now.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON

said by 34764170:

said by Guspaz:

It also means that they can introduce those high-speed packages they've been holding out on (like 50/10), since they'll at least have a final CBB rate to base the business case on.

Holding out on 50/10? It just came out. Is there even a wholesale tariff filed for the speed tier? It's more like offering 25/10 for a lot of the IISPs or making it profitable for the few that do now.

Yes, it was filed already - January 28, 2013.
»www.crtc.gc.ca/public/8740/2013/···9770.zip
(per »www.crtc.gc.ca/8740/eng/2013/b2.htm)

"The service will be launched on 11 February 2013."
--

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to InvalidError

said by InvalidError:

said by HeadSpinning:

8k$/Gbps (Telus' former AHSSPI rate) is near the optimistic end of my range too.

When I tried guesstimating how much incumbents could charge for aggregation if they built an entire new network for that explicit purpose, I came up with figures as high as 35k$/Gbps.

The only reason Bell would have to build a separate aggregation network would be to avoid using an "All Carriers" approach to their cost studies - it is neither technically or economically efficient.
--

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

$8k would be a disappointment, but it would still be an improvement. Some ISPs reported being borderline or even a bit unprofitable at the previous rate ($22k for Bell, I believe it was?), so dropping that to $8k should mean that they can be profitable at their current pricing, perhaps even with a modest price drop. It also means that they can introduce those high-speed packages they've been holding out on (like 50/10), since they'll at least have a final CBB rate to base the business case on.

Even at $8k, a 50/10 unlimited service would likely be difficult to offer. Add that to the traffic management nightmare of trying to balance a bunch of 1G AHSSPI links.
--

InvalidError

reply to HeadSpinning

said by HeadSpinning:

The only reason Bell would have to build a separate aggregation network would be to avoid using an "All Carriers" approach to their cost studies - it is neither technically or economically efficient.

The CRTC's rate-setting process does not reward technical nor economic efficiency.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON

said by InvalidError:

said by HeadSpinning:

The CRTC's rate-setting process does not reward technical nor economic efficiency.

But they do look for (and find) gaming of the cost studies process.
--

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Any update on the plan? Been just about 2 weeks. You might have posted it & I didn't see it. Hopefully you can update us soon

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

said by mikee:

Any update on the plan? Been just about 2 weeks. You might have posted it & I didn't see it. Hopefully you can update us soon

I wish... This is the CRTC we're talking about. Like many other government agencies, their definition of "within 3 - 5 business days" really means "within 3 - 5 calendar months" usually. Then again, this is our lovely government at work for ya.

mikee

Gloucester, ON

Hmm but Marc wrote that he would give a plan within 1-2 weeks. It's now 2 weeks the plan is more a TSI plan not really anything to do with the CRTC. When they will become AGG or start becoming AGG. I will quote his post so you can see what I am talking about incase I misread it.

quote:
Ottawa is getting looked at first due to capacity on existing TPIA network that would require additional facilities that we know will not get used once migrated...

I have to say though, if you feel the need to move on. That's entirely your choice.. The situation is what it is... I don't think it would have been realistic to change sooner.. We only knew about this speed matching thing in December... Until then we had until the end of this year with no real reason to rush past that.. And considering everything else that needed attention.. We were focused on the most important issues... Now that we know, we will do what we can to accelerate the process. Maybe it's possible to move more quickly.. We'll have to see how it goes. Once the plan is more firmly set, I'll update everybody here. I'm hoping that we'll have that plan set in the next week or two.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

Working on it gang.. Should hopefully have an agreement with Rogers soon.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

mikee

Gloucester, ON

Thanks for the update.