Re: CNOC speed matching decision due next week

said by nitric:

said by stevey_frac:

I just checked the Rogers site, and they are offering these speeds in my area:

25 / 2 / 80 GB cap for $48.99
30 / 10 / 500 GB cap for $51.99
45/ 4 / 150 GB cap for $71.99
150 / 10 / 250 GB cap for $122.99

Where did that second tier come from? It's AWESOME?! More cap then Tek, with 10 times the upload for similar money. When does Tek get that package?

Anyways, The equivalent package that I was on, was Extreme plus, that used to be 28 / 1. And it's not 45/ 4. That's why I was assuming that people getting 28/1 would get bumped.

Where do you see that? I checked the website and there's no 30/10.. can you take a screenshot?

It's only available in some areas like the Maritime provinces (and apparently, some parts of Ontario).

nitric

join:2012-01-29
reply to stevey_frac

said by stevey_frac:

30 / 10 / 500 GB for $51 seems like it would be hard for Tek to match....

I'd be worried about people jumping ship for a package like that.

On top of the ability to persuade them into free modems and negotiating a percentage off (20% is the standard I think now for retentions)... yeah...

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
reply to Anaron

Ooo. Good catch. For some reason Rogers had geolocated me to Newfoundland. I'd assumed it would remember when I'd punched in my postal code a few days ago. When I switch back to ON, I get more like what I was expecting.

Anaron

join:2005-01-28
North York, ON

said by stevey_frac:

Ooo. Good catch. For some reason Rogers had geolocated me to Newfoundland. I'd assumed it would remember when I'd punched in my postal code a few days ago. When I switch back to ON, I get more like what I was expecting.

Ah, so it isn't available in Cambridge, ON. I was genuinely surprised when you mentioned it. A deal like that is too good for Ontario.
--
Formerly known as section32

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON

Ya. Way too good.

I_needhelp

join:2004-07-08

Finally. Looks like the cheques have cleared on their end.

Sanek

join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON
reply to mlerner

oh man I would get that $51.99 30/10/500GB plan in a heartbeat. Now please tell me how is it that they can't offer the same plan in Ontario.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to bbhog

said by bbhog:

I'm also fearful of what aggregated will bring to consumers. Seems it might bring higher prices and stricter bandwidth restrictions

You already have a general idea of what to expect since Start.ca is already on aggregated.

Another thing that the CRTC has to take into consideration is that if they do allow speed matching on non-aggregated, it would put Start.ca at a disadvantage for adopting aggregated from launch, which would be somewhat unfair when this is Start's only competitive edge for the time being.

And even if the CRTC did decide to force Rogers to offer the new speeds on non-aggregated, you would still be looking at a few more months before Rogers files new tariffs and the CRTC approves them - assuming the TPIAs do not dispute the rates if Rogers decides to adjust (inflate) non-aggregated rates to minimize potential prejudice to its aggregated TPIA clients.

So, worst case, the CRTC avoids shooting themselves in the foot and stick to its previous decision. Best case, non-aggregated ISPs will enjoy a short-lived victory and Start.ca who did the "right thing" by going with aggregated instead of betting the barn on end-of-life tariffs gets screwed by the CRTC and non-aggregated ISPs for the time being.

Whatever happens, everybody loses. Only thing that changes is who and how much.

Instead of wasting effort on silly/temporary stuff like this, that effort should go into having the aggregated per-Gbps rates sanity-checked (should be possible to get them down to about 8$/Mbps) and getting 10G aggregation into tariffs since everyone will inevitably be stuck with the former and need the latter to reduce recurring load balancing problems, which enables more efficient use of each purchased Mbps of capacity.

TakeOffEh

@teksavvy.com

said by InvalidError:

Another thing that the CRTC has to take into consideration is that if they do allow speed matching on non-aggregated, it would put Start.ca at a disadvantage for adopting aggregated from launch, which would be somewhat unfair when this is Start's only competitive edge for the time being.

I would say going Aggregated still gives Start one big advantage, over others like TekSavvy who are still on Disaggregated.

Access to Rogers' entire footprint. They can offer service in some areas where TekSavvy, et al, can't.

However, my understanding is that the rates on Aggregated are higher. Which is the reason other TPIA providers have been avoiding Agg. for as long as possible. So in that sense, yeah, Start has been screwed over.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

said by mlerner:

CRTC Decisions and Regulatory Policies for the week of 28 January to 1 February 2013

hey mlerner,

you should fix that link.. should be:

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/decisions.htm

Talk to the CRTC, they sent out the email. And I'm not sure why that's the only thing they linked.. but I think that's for the braodcasting decisions.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to mlerner

Greg O'brien from Cart posted alst night that the 2pm time may be for the wireless code draft today instead.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to mlerner

k

Neo

join:2012-03-16
reply to mlerner

So does this mean anything for us with videotron cable in Quebec?

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON

said by Neo:

So does this mean anything for us with videotron cable in Quebec?

Naw.. Just Rogers.
--

xdrag

join:2005-02-18
North York, ON
reply to nitric

That is a very hot package. With this whole speed matching fiasco it's enticing to start thinking about alternatives. Everytime there's a speed bump, i can see Rogers playing this game of cat-and-mouse.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON

said by xdrag:

That is a very hot package. With this whole speed matching fiasco it's enticing to start thinking about alternatives. Everytime there's a speed bump, i can see Rogers playing this game of cat-and-mouse.

Only available in Maritimes where Rogers is competing against Bell Aliant's FTTH, so Rogers runs FTTH as well. They can't offer that in Ontario widespread.
--

WhyNoUpload

join:2013-01-15
reply to mlerner

Any updates?

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by WhyNoUpload:

Any updates?

Nope. The 2PM announcement was for this: »www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/2013/r130128.htm

oldsam

join:2011-05-30
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile

said by creed3020:

said by WhyNoUpload:

Any updates?

Nope. The 2PM announcement was for this: »www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/2013/r130128.htm

Any idea when the announcement we care about will be made public?

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON

said by oldsam:

said by creed3020:

said by WhyNoUpload:

Any updates?

Any idea when the announcement we care about will be made public?

Sometime this week. It sucks, but they don't tell you what day. Chances are, it'll be released in the morning with the other stuff. If I get an email on it (which I should due to my comments on it), I'll post it up asap.
--

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
reply to mlerner

My gut feeling is Thursday but the release schedule is fairly packed so it is anyone's call.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1

Its actually pretty empty and could all be done in one day but they like to make it look like they are busy.Decisions were done months and there are only 5 this week

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

said by andyb:

Its actually pretty empty and could all be done in one day but they like to make it look like they are busy.Decisions were done months and there are only 5 this week

Also depends on the type of release, some of them they do press events.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to mlerner

If i was betting one thing, the CRTC "MAY" make Rogers provide equal speeds for both agg and non-agg for D3 modems only. D2 will not likely see any changes. And before some of you say it.. YES I KNOW D2 can support 30mb but the rogers network can not on D2. It's a fact. As for TPIA prices, rogers charges ISP's, I have a feeling it won't be as high as the interim, but won't be as low as the ISP's hope.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON

Price for agg was already released last month. This decision is about whether this is an existing package upgrade privided free to retail customers, which should then see nonagg get for free as well, or whether the crtc bought rogers' bull in that these are 'new' packages altogether.

Cbb decision for rogers will probably hchange with a new cost study filed by rogers, trying to support why they deserve more money when they dont.
--

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

said by resa1983:

Cbb decision for rogers will probably hchange with a new cost study filed by rogers, trying to support why they deserve more money when they dont.

I think it's time that we marched on the Competition Bureau (CB) instead of protesting what the CRTC does. The CRTC continues to issue idiotic decisions based on the fact that the incumbents are constituted as they are - retail & wholesale & content & cellular & POTS. The CB should be busting up the incumbents into their constituent atoms. Then maybe we can get sane decisions from the CRTC.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
reply to mlerner

Decision isn't today folks. Release for today is finally out.
--

cidknee0

join:2009-02-28

I'm really hoping a decision comes down soon. Inquiring minds you know.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON

said by cidknee0:

Its this week sometime. No exact date given (as usual).
--

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to cidknee0

said by cidknee0:

IT's this week for sure... just not today.