spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CK3600

@verizon.net

WordPress

I have a free blog on WordPress and I'm fairly content with that. In other words, I don't feel any special need to host my blog on my own domain or someplace other than WordPress. My basic questions are pretty simple:

1. Since I post directly on WordPress, is there any benefit at all in having the free WordPress software installed on my computer hard drive at home? If so, what would be the specific benefits?

2. I understand that there are many more free themes available for use with the WordPress software. Can those themes be used if you post directly on WordPress or are you limited to those shown on the WordPress web site?

I hope this is the right place to post these questions.

stray

join:2000-01-16
Warren, NJ

This should answer your questions...

»diythemes.com/thesis/rtfm/differ···com-org/

CK3600

@verizon.net

Thanks. That answers the second question and the whole article is generally helpful. But the first question remains unanswered I think. It seems like the only benefit might be to back up your blog locally.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by CK3600 :

Thanks. That answers the second question and the whole article is generally helpful. But the first question remains unanswered I think. It seems like the only benefit might be to back up your blog locally.

Realistically it's a bit more than just backing up. You would have full control over every aspect of Wordpress, PHP and whichever web server you would be running. There are plugins and such that require your server to be set up specific ways which aren't possible on most hosting servers as well as not available on Wordpress.com.

It really depends on what your needs are, whether you care if you have full control over every aspect or not...etc. Some people would do it simply for the learning process.

Edit: Seems I misread what you were asking. I'll leave this here though in case it's helpful to someone else
--
Weeeeeee