uniqs
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to zygggy

to zygggy

Re: Internet in Grey county, Ontario

said by zygggy:

The LTE stick is backwards compatible - I don't get LTE service up here, however, it defaults back to HSPA+. I've had a place up here for the last 20 years and its' the best option I've seen.

I get that, but the OP is already using a Rogers wireless device for their internet connection and it's not measuring up to their needs.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by yyzlhr:

said by zygggy:

The LTE stick is backwards compatible - I don't get LTE service up here, however, it defaults back to HSPA+. I've had a place up here for the last 20 years and its' the best option I've seen.

I get that, but the OP is already using a Rogers wireless device for their internet connection and it's not measuring up to their needs.

Yeah, its pretty fail... Even up a tower to get better reception due to all the trees & hills.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by resa1983:

said by yyzlhr:

said by zygggy:

Yeah, its pretty fail... Even up a tower to get better reception due to all the trees & hills.

I am looking seriously at this option to get signal at my cottage at Sauble Beach. I have to wait for spring, though. Review here.
scorpido
Premium Member
join:2009-11-02
Abbotsford, BC

scorpido

Premium Member

Mark from MaximumISP has service in Sauble Beach. He has a really good network. I would check him out as I think he also offers seasonal.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by scorpido:

Mark from MaximumISP has service in Sauble Beach. He has a really good network. I would check him out as I think he also offers seasonal.

Absolutely not available at my cottage. I've tested it.

Cottage
@rogers.com

Cottage

Anon

»www.gbtel.ca/v2/

Not sure if these guys extend over to Walter Falls, but we are between Sauble and Southampton and the service has been great. Offer seasonal, and support has been good when we have had issues. Speed is fine for surfing, and using VPN for work. Right on the edge for streaming video, some days good

Highly recommended
cottage
join:2013-03-09
Mississauga, ON

cottage to DKS

to DKS
Hey DKS - let us know how the test goes with the cell signal extender, our cell coverage at the cottage at Sauble is weeaakk as well

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by cottage:

Hey DKS - let us know how the test goes with the cell signal extender, our cell coverage at the cottage at Sauble is weeaakk as well

I won't move on it until closer to the summer. I used the Telus Network Experience problem reporting app yesterday to flag the problem (yes, Telus has their own cellular signal problem reporting app). I will see what that brings, first.

Where is your cottage? On leased land or north of the main street?
cottage
join:2013-03-09
Mississauga, ON

cottage

We are on leased land, on Bruce Road 13, about halfway between Sauble and Southhampton

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

Same neighbourhood as me.
DKS

DKS to cottage

to cottage
said by cottage:

We are on leased land, on Bruce Road 13, about halfway between Sauble and Southhampton

With the snow gone, I was up on the cottage roof at Sauble to see if I could get a signal on my cell phone. 3 of 5 bars on my iPhone 4S. Looks like I'll be getting one of these to get cell and data signals in the cottage.
DKS

DKS

Found out about the local wireless internet run by the Saugeen First Nation #29. It's fibre to the pole, then wireless N. 5 GB up/down. $300 install, 1 year commitment, but you can connect and disconnect at any time for no charge. $50/month, unlimited data, when you are connected. If you are at Sauble Beach and on leased land, it's an option. And they do the initial feasibility check at no cost to see how high your antenna needs to be. There is a pole just down the street.
cottage519
join:2013-04-29

cottage519

said by DKS:

Found out about the local wireless internet run by the Saugeen First Nation #29. It's fibre to the pole, then wireless N. 5 GB up/down. $300 install, 1 year commitment, but you can connect and disconnect at any time for no charge. $50/month, unlimited data, when you are connected. If you are at Sauble Beach and on leased land, it's an option. And they do the initial feasibility check at no cost to see how high your antenna needs to be. There is a pole just down the street.

Hey, thanks for checking that, the monthly is about the same as GBTel, but the speeds seem higher, may be a worth while look (with the Leafs in the playoffs, will need to be able to stream the games if they last that long)

I assume those poles that got installed in the last little while are the ones giving us the wifi, we are close to one as well, down by Pashwood

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by cottage519:

said by DKS:

Hey, thanks for checking that, the monthly is about the same as GBTel, but the speeds seem higher, may be a worth while look (with the Leafs in the playoffs, will need to be able to stream the games if they last that long)

I assume those poles that got installed in the last little while are the ones giving us the wifi, we are close to one as well, down by Pashwood

Those are the ones. They have solar collectors and wind turbines for power. Our closest is up on the beach by 30th St. Call Rob Skye at the Band Office and he will set things up. They do a site survey at no cost before installation.