uniqs

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

2 recommendations

ashrc4

Premium Member

The joys of making your data public;Facebook Graph Searches.

»actualfacebookgraphsearc ··· blr.com/

Sourced from ; »www.theage.com.au/digita ··· au5.html.

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

goalieskates

Premium Member

He makes his point.

I doubt a lot of people have the skills to write a relevant search beyond the most basic; it's a different matter entirely for businesses who've long had access to FB data.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird to ashrc4

Premium Member

to ashrc4
He makes a couple of really good points...
quote:
The people showing up here (his embarrassing Facebook graph example searches) aren’t stupid: they just don’t have the knowledge required to be safe. If I took my car to a garage for a tune-up, a disreputable mechanic could fleece me for unwanted repairs and I’d never know it: that doesn’t make me stupid, it just means my knowledge is in other areas.
Most of the danger online comes not from strangers making half-assed joke searches: it comes from people who know you. A lot of the public data fails what I call the ‘bitter ex test’: can someone who hates you ruin your life with that information?...
What he fails to note in his summary is that there are other folks seriously watching, besides the curious and the marketers. One of his example searches was for "Islamic men interested in men who live in Tehran, Iran". Similar searches with purported social/political overtones made by the wrong "interested" people could have fatal consequences for at least some of those showing up in the results. I believe most people don't even remotely grasp the harming power available to complete strangers through data analysis and correlation of personal available information those people are putting into online social networks... even if (or especially if) the analyses turn out to be wrong.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to ashrc4

Premium Member

to ashrc4
»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· i6Y66aKo

• »gizmodo.com/5978902/is-f ··· aph-data
• »www.bloomberg.com/news/2 ··· web.html
• »www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· cks.html
• »venturebeat.com/2013/01/ ··· privacy/

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

goalieskates

Premium Member

said by venturebeat linked above :
Can I opt out?

Nope.

Theres no opt-out or anything like that, said Colaco. As Mark [Zuckerberg] said yesterday, this is really sort of the third pillar of what Facebook is all about.

So…
Start sifting.

Youre probably going to be surprised by Facebook search. You wont realize what is public about you because there is so much information posted by friends that you dont even pay attention to. Nows the time to get smart about what people post about you and what you post about yourself.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

Facebook "graph search" is sponsored by Bing within Facebook.
As cited in some of the links in this thread, Facebook wants the user to search the Net from their Facebook accounts.

While the tool is useful to the extent that you can find "stuff" that was shared publicly or otherwise that you were possibly not aware of at the time that one could redact from that user's "timeline".

Most that I know or just only now getting a handle on what it really does.

That said, Facebook wants more of Google's search market other than use of it within Facebook accounts.

Nasty business.