VikingBob
Go Jets Go!
Premium Member
join:2004-06-05
MB Canada

VikingBob

Premium Member

This one takes the cake

My workplace recently had a high-profile incident involving a lost removable hard drive, which resulted in the usual knee-jerk reaction... closing the barn door after the horse is long gone.

In the ensuing aftermath, we saw this recent web request at our IT Help Desk...
Given the security breaches, can you confirm if headsets/earbuds are allowed to be plugged into our computers? I would like a response in writing that we can share with the divisions, please. If you also have a listing of what is or is not allowed, that would be great. Thank you!

Stupidity has no bounds...
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

I presume it was a user that made that request?

I can see the motivation behind asking that, given that the user may see the "barn door closing" move as stupid enough that other equally silly restrictions, such as preventing people from plugging in headphones, have also been put into place. That would explain why you were asked for a list of restrictions.

At least it's not one of those "IT DOESN'T WORK I NEED YOU TO FIX IT RIGHT NOW" type of requests.

VikingBob
Go Jets Go!
Premium Member
join:2004-06-05
MB Canada

VikingBob

Premium Member

Oh yes, a user place that one... The edict that came down basically banned USB sticks and USB hard drives, regardless of whether personal or provided by the department...

If we expand on the notion that headphones are evil, then it's obvoius that your monitor is also evil, and we should immediately disconnect that as well...

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

said by VikingBob:

If we expand on the notion that headphones are evil, then it's obvoius that your monitor is also evil, and we should immediately disconnect that as well...

Sounds like a win to me!

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to VikingBob

MVM

to VikingBob
said by VikingBob:

The edict that came down basically banned USB sticks and USB hard drives, regardless of whether personal or provided by the department...

Depending on how the policy is worded, and given that some of the newer headsets are USB and not just 1/8" audio jack, I could see how some users might need clarification.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

The Dv8or to VikingBob

Premium Member

to VikingBob
I actually applaud that request. The user is making no assumptions, and is checking through the proper channels. It doesnt seem to be completely sarcastic and snarky. Glad to get that than the opposite.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to VikingBob

MVM

to VikingBob
Proper channels I don't mind... but if this is a problem ticket, I would NOT call that proper channels myself.
Problem tickets are the LAST place policy statements should be promugated.

Regards
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to VikingBob

to VikingBob
provided by the department so what happens if you need one to do the job?
OHN
join:2003-02-05
Appleton, WI

OHN to VikingBob

to VikingBob
Maybe USB Headsets and hence the confusion?