how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Freezer64

join:2005-06-29
Seattle, WA

[Speed] Having a weird issue...speed fluctations!! 50Mb SuddenLi

Hey all, I am having an issue with Suddenlink in mid-east Texas. I have their 50mb service. I have a direct line to the modem, about 4 feet. Arris 3.0 wireless modem.

Attached some pictures of modem status.

»i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm30···6e36.jpg

»i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm30···1678.jpg

I just got this all installed a couple months ago. I have had to reset my modem daily if I want to see 50mb. But when it is fresh its solid, sits about 51-53 on speedtest @ around 9ms.

Here's where it gets funny...

Recently I noticed it was staying @ 50mb for awhile. Even more recently about a week ago I noticed I Was only getting around 11-15mb...so I reset it like normal and this time it took about 5 minutes for the modem to lock, meaning the DS light would start blinking, and wouldn't connect for about 5 or 6 minutes.

Had a tech come out and replace the modem a day after I already replaced it myself. Brand new in box, both of them. No change. My SNR was around the high +9's so he put a splitter on the outside of my house to drop it down. We came in and checked and they were now around +1.5 or so. Today and as you can see they are in the +5's...

So the tech basically said he was going to do this and that and he was determined to get it fixed and blah, blah, blah. He left, I still have issues. I called again tonight, was on the phone for about an hour with the guy, scheduled to come out Monday. I was just curious if anyone may know anything about this. I'm guessing I'm going to get the same thing from this tech Monday, he'll just tell me what I want to hear and pawn it off on someone else.

PS: When I test @ suddenlink.speedtest.net I get around 30-45mb... but testing @ speedtest.net nets me around 11-15mb. Weird right?

Thanks for the read!

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Re: [Speed] Having a weird issue...speed fluctations!! 50Mb Sudd

Your signal looks fine in that pic, not exactly sure what all the errors are. Might be an issue with the config file SL has for your modem, not sure.

Also when you have the 50 or 100 meg tier, speedtest doesn't really work anymore. You need to either get a highspeed server to download from, or do multiple downloads and monitor the total for your speed testing needs. Even on my 30 meg tier speedtest.net can get crappy results. Though yesterday and today I have been getting weird results back from the Dallas area and from speedtest.net (weird like 9 megs or so, similar to what you are seeing)
--
30/2 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old

Freezer64

join:2005-06-29
Seattle, WA
said by moldypickle:

Your signal looks fine in that pic, not exactly sure what all the errors are. Might be an issue with the config file SL has for your modem, not sure.

Also when you have the 50 or 100 meg tier, speedtest doesn't really work anymore. You need to either get a highspeed server to download from, or do multiple downloads and monitor the total for your speed testing needs. Even on my 30 meg tier speedtest.net can get crappy results. Though yesterday and today I have been getting weird results back from the Dallas area and from speedtest.net (weird like 9 megs or so, similar to what you are seeing)

I tend to agree with you mostly except for the part that speedtest.net isn't accurate at those speeds. I have been using speedtest for years and there has never been anything more accurate. Now I would say it could be something on their end but I ruled that out when it took nearly 10 minutes for my modem to lock and me even get internet access.

Moostang

join:2009-03-24
Tyler, TX
Agreed. Speedtests are horrible. You need to download large files from high end servers with large pipes to properly test your actual throughput. Also, don't forget that the speed you pay for are "UP TO" the contractual speed and they do not guarantee 24/7 maximum throughput.

jdmm72

join:2002-02-12
Nitro, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Freezer64
Suddenlink told me that 70% of rated speed is when they consider it a problem. I really don't have a problem with that, but I do expect occasionally to get rated speed. In my opinion (and that is what it is my opinion) the AVERAGE should be rated speed, so that means it should be higher at times when it also goes lower at times. It really shouldn't "up to" in very very little print, and 107 Mbps, in super large print, but alias it is.

longgone

join:2000-12-30
Culloden, WV
said by jdmm72:

Suddenlink told me that 70% of rated speed is when they consider it a problem. I really don't have a problem with that, but I do expect occasionally to get rated speed. In my opinion (and that is what it is my opinion) the AVERAGE should be rated speed, so that means it should be higher at times when it also goes lower at times. It really shouldn't "up to" in very very little print, and 107 Mbps, in super large print, but alias it is.

Absolutely agree that the AVERAGE should be the rated speed, as since mid December the 107 here only pulls down on average 13 with extremely low overall consistency of performance throughout the peak use times every evening and remains like that way well into mid am. The 70%... seems meaningless.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Good luck on getting ANY official to even listen to that idea, LOL

Moostang

join:2009-03-24
Tyler, TX
reply to longgone
Considering that you're getting 13, you could go with a 10mb package so that you're average rate is closer to what you're paying for.

I'm sure the whole "up to" is just a selling point which sounds a lot better than "average rate of 13mb". Obviously it worked on you!

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
It's not a selling point, it's a legal loophole so you have no recourse when you don't get the speed you think you bought

stevenwalter

join:2012-03-23
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to longgone
Yeah, my 107 isn't what it used to be anymore either. I know how to max it out, and during a typical day, I don't break 5 megabytes per second on downloads, when I used to be able to hit 13.75 anytime of day for the first 2 years that I had it. The only time I can ever do that anymore is like after 2 am. I guess all of those free upgrades they did a few months ago came at our expense.

My modem power levels are all fine too. I've contacted tech support and got no help of any kind. This is just how monopolies operate, I guess I should get used to it, and hope that maybe Google will show up here one day.

anonanon

@suddenlink.net
reply to Freezer64
I have the 107 meg service, and for the first couple of years, I had no problems maxing it out, but in the last few months, I'm lucky to get half speed. My modem signals are great, and my source for maxing out the download speed is one that I know to be reliable.

It will only max out in the wee hours of the morning. Im considering dropping the 107 meg service, as I'm not getting what I pay for anymore.

sauria

join:2002-04-23
Abilene, TX
Where did you lose this speed?

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
On I20 west of the Mississippi line.

What is that question even asking?