Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

emig5m

join:2004-02-16
Columbia, NJ
reply to droosk

Re: [CenturyTel] High pings and jitter - Phoenix

I'm not in the Phoenix area but it's the same here in northern NJ.

janusz61

join:2013-01-26
Newton, NJ
same here in Newton NJ,bad bad pings since Jan 25th.Any ideas what's going on?

mooch
No Booing Allowed

join:2001-11-11
Dublin, OH
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
On 12/30, my connection went down for a few hours and when it came back up that evening, my pings have been double what they had been. For the last year, pings had been a consistent 40ms and now it's been 80ms ever since 12/30. Even when my speeds went belly up, I could at least depend on pings being consistent. Well actually, I guess they're "consistent" now... unfortunately, they're consistently 100% worse than they had ever been.

Speeds have been ultra flaky since 12/30 also. I'm sure Centurylink knows what's causing this but we'll never know. I figure it's a 50/50 chance that Centurylink's DSL service will get better at some point...but then it's also 50/50 that it'll get even worse.

emig5m

join:2004-02-16
Columbia, NJ
reply to janusz61
said by janusz61:

Any ideas what's going on?

Yea, I'll tell you what's going on, it's a piece of crap company oversubscribing on ancient crap technology with crappy backbone peering or not buying enough peering bandwidth. Some CEO must of needed a new Ferrari for one of the kids to not pay for enough bandwidth for it's paying customers...

On a lighter note... It's so bad right now webpages barely want to load and speed tests shrug at 1/10th the speed I'm paying for. Oh and servers I normally ping in the 16 to 28ms range are at almost 300ms right now. This is what happens when there's no competition and they're the only game in most towns. $95 a month for a crappy 8Mbit line...give me a break. Let's see, from Comcasts website you can get 50Mbit for $50 which is 6.25 faster at $45 a month cheaper. And for the outrageous price the little 8Mbit line can't even perform...

Slylok

@embarqhsd.net
Same here in SW VA.. From 1pm - 12am the service in nearly unusable. Not sure if its congestion , bad routing or what but it is pretty tiresome having to deal with it especially when it lasts ALL DAY EVERYDAY!