CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TELUS
·Shaw

[DSL] TekSavvy DSL with Optik TV?

I am planning on getting TekSavvy DSL after the speed matching is complete. My question is can we get TekSavvy DSL and use Telus Home Phone and Optik TV on the same telephone line? The line will be hooked up to an ALU modem with pfsense set up to handle the Optik TV mutilcasting and of course phones.
TLDR possible to have TELUS home phone and Optik TV while using TekSavvy internet?

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9

Does Telus offer Optik TV without needing to purchase internet from them? If so than it should work otherwise you will need to get internet service from Telus in addition to Optik TV.

jtl999

In the GVRD

I believe you can. Atleast at lets you just select Optik TV and Home Phone without internet.

CR123

join:2006-11-04
Vancouver, BC
reply to jtl999

I think you can get Optik TV and Phone w/o Internet from TELUS on one line, and then Teksavvy DSL on a 2nd dry loop.

It's unlikely you can get both TS DSL and and Optik on the same loop, though.
--
- The content of this post is my opinion, and does not reflect the opinions of my employer. -

mactalla

join:2008-02-19
kudos:1
reply to jtl999

Short answer is no.

They thought they could when they setup my Optik and only after my TSI connection got b0rked they discovered they couldn't.

Technical reason: the Optik service actually *does* use some internet connectivity (Weather Network, Tumble Books, etc) so even if you don't buy DSL from Telus, they do configure the line with a DSL connection (just super slow). But Telus' DSL is not PPPoE so by doing so the PPPoE authentication to get hooked up with TSI are not recognized.

Now, if you also have home phone, I would suggest keeping TSI on the phone line (no dry loop fee) and put Optik on its own line. You might be able to argue to get your bundle discount (you *do* have 2 services from them - 2 circuits instead of one? meh, they give a bundle discount with a cell phone and that's not on the circuit). You will, however miss out on CallerID on TV if you care about such a thing.

I realize it should be possible with the correct routing to direct the IPTV traffic one way and send everything else to the PPPoE servers. But that would be too much work to make it convenient for people not to buy their DSL product so I'm not surprised it's not done.

jtl999

In the GVRD

Would this require two modems?

mactalla

1 edit

Yes it would. But Optik will provide you with a modem/router combo at no charge (free rental).

Edit: Looking back at your original post, I see you are currently with Telus and not with TSI. Sounds like you already have Optik, too. Glossed over that detail. Okay, then you'll need a new modem for TSI and it would be on a different circuit (unless you want to shuffle one of your existing services). You won't be able to argue your way out of the dry loop fee since TSI would be on its own dedicated circuit. The wholesale dept. within Telus will only see that one circuit and their communication with the rest of Telus is abysmal.

It wouldn't hurt to call them up and see if they can do wholesale internet on an Optik circuit. But like I said communication between the wholesale dept and the rest of Telus is non existent and I doubt anything has changed in the past year. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

jtl999

In the GVRD

I'm on Shaw ATM.

mactalla

Shaw for all 3?

In that case I'd suggest doing it in this order:

1. Telus Home Phone + TSI Internet (no dry loop fee). Modem purchase required.

2. After Internet is installed, then have Telus install OptikTV ("and don't touch my Internet!"). They'll be forced to setup a 2nd circuit. That's an implementation detail for them to deal with. They won't charge a dry loop fee. They will give you a modem/router combo that your STBs will need to connect to.

If you want to have a single network in your home you'll need to handle routing the IPTV traffic out to the Optik modem and the rest out your TSI modem. Otherwise you'll just have 2 networks: one for TV and the other for Internet. (That's what I have -- never bothered to do the routing; I don't use any of the Internet stuff on Optik so the speed's not a concern).

You should then also get the bundle discount for Phone+TV.

jtl999

In the GVRD

Yes sir. Using Shaw for 3.