Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

2 recommendations

Link Logger

MVM

You got to be kidding me a HP LaserJet 4P on Windows 7

Tonight I was getting ready to retire my old HP 4P Laserjet and replace it with an Epson Artisan 730 at home. We don't print much anymore, but a printer is still occasionally needed and I couldn't get my 64bit version of Windows 7 to connect to 32bit version of Windows 7 that had the old 4P war beast attached. But tonight I was pining for the days of cheap toner cartridges that seem to last forever so I thought I'd take one last shot at hooking it up and amazingly I got it to work by telling my system to use the IP method of connecting to a network printer, and then using Windows Update to get the full list of drivers and now I have a HP Laserjet 4P driver on my Windows 7 64bit system sharing a HP 4P on a 32bit system. $40 dollar toner cartridges here I come, thanks Microsoft.

Its like two nights ago I went to hook up the Artisan 730 wireless printer and while I have a couple of wireless access points, Windows doesn't care and no problem installing the printer on those systems (including my Surface), however the wife has an iPad and so I think no problem I just need to install iPrint and it should be good to go, nope you have to be on the same wireless access point as the printer, are you freaking kidding me? Another reminder as to why I like Microsoft, no stupid limitations. So if the wife wants to print something from her stupid iPad she will have to switch over to the right access point, me I just hit print, you tell me which is easier.

Blake

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show
join:2000-01-05
Lynn, MA

Madness

Hey, I'm still using a Laserjet 4L, myself! It's direct-connected to a parallel port card & runs fine in W7-64. Drivers for the card were included & the printer's were gotten in the same way as yours. It also worked on W8 until I rolled back.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to Link Logger

MVM

to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

Another reminder as to why I like Microsoft, no stupid limitations. So if the wife wants to print something from her stupid iPad she will have to switch over to the right access point, me I just hit print, you tell me which is easier.

Now YOU can appreciate how ENABLING Microsoft windows is over any other OS out there.

Unfortunately enabling technology is a phrase many people cannot comprehend to grasp and appreciate due to their very limited and challenged view-port--- just a blank stare and then a wake-up call to arms where the OS wars begin as a defensive intellectual maneuver.

It is true that as an enabling technology Microsoft Windows can be very abused which is why so many people get into trouble cause of their blind unbridled enthusiasm that lacks respect for the technology. Apple shines due to their WALL Garden approach but many Luddites view that wall as enabling.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Microsoft takes a lot of flak for things others get a pass for, some of its legit, some not, but they have never gotten the credit they deserve for the sheer compatibility of Windows, it is staggering. I have a game that was designed for Windows 95/98 that works fine on my Windows 7 64 bit rig. It shouldn't, but it does. As far as I'm concerned, Dave Cutler and the team that developed Windows NT at Microsoft are the guys who really changed the world.

fxtr
Premium Member
join:2002-09-15
Reston, VA

fxtr to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd
Foiled, my new HP Win8 PC has no parallel port for my Laser Jet 6P that has run at least 30,000 pages and I have a reasonable new cartridge. And I copied my old XP sol.exe/cards.dll to Win8 and works just fine - a really old piece of software.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Nice find right?
I was shocked when I first discovered that my old HP LaserJet 4P still worked on Windows 7 too! It was a nice bonus as I did not wish to retire this fully functional LaserJet just yet. I had to tell Windows to check Windows Update for updated drivers, then it downloaded a FULL list of printer drivers and sure enough the HP 4P was listed. Not too sure why the drivers were not included on the Windows 7 DVD at the time of release as these are old printers? At any rate, I just used a USB to Parallel Printer Adapter Cable to use this printer with my modern PC. Works great!
Dustyn

1 recommendation

Dustyn to fxtr

Premium Member

to fxtr
This worked for mine.
Parallel Printer Adapter Cable

hardly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-10
USA

hardly to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
I used one of these, and print from any device on the network.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33704066

fxtr
Premium Member
join:2002-09-15
Reston, VA

fxtr

Premium Member

Just what I need! Thanx for the help.
I use the 6P when I have a lot to print, less expensive than the Office Jet.
fxtr

fxtr to hardly

Premium Member

to hardly
Installed the TP-Link print server today, LaserJet is back in business, THANX for the tip.
hardly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-10
USA

hardly

Premium Member

Glad it worked out.
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Got one of those usb/parallel cables for an HP LaserJet 6L.

Hooked it up to a Win8 64bit computer.

W8 recognizes the computer and says the driver W8 auto installed is "working perfectly" but all the printer will print now is garbage and blank pages.

The same printer has worked fine on XP 32bit for what seems like 10 years or so.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC

Jan Janowski to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Our HP LJ4P+ died about a year ago....

We beat the living stuffing out of it, and it lasted forever....

I think we got it for my wife's business in the mid 80's...

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

I have a HP Laserjet 4P driver on my Windows 7 64bit system sharing a HP 4P on a 32bit system.

So how exactly is this printer connected to the network? Is this Windows Printer Sharing, or is the printer directly connected to the network?
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

Tonight I was getting ready to retire my old HP 4P Laserjet and replace it with an Epson Artisan 730 at home. We don't print much anymore, but a printer is still occasionally needed and I couldn't get my 64bit version of Windows 7 to connect to 32bit version of Windows 7 that had the old 4P war beast attached.

I know you've already fixed this but there's couple other ways to have done this. You can install 64 bit drivers through the print server properties on 32 bit machines. The 32 bit computer can't use them but will offer the 64 bit driver to computers that connect to its printer share. The other option is to create a local port in the printer setup on the 64 bit computer that connects to the 32 bit computer printer share. You then use that local port when installing the driver on the 64 bit computer.
said by Link Logger:

however the wife has an iPad and so I think no problem I just need to install iPrint and it should be good to go, nope you have to be on the same wireless access point as the printer, are you freaking kidding me?

I too have multiple APs and that doesn't sound correct to me. I have never had to switch APs to print from an iPad. Something tells me the issue lies elsewhere as I usually find Apple stuff to be less hassle.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

said by Riamen:

said by Link Logger:

however the wife has an iPad and so I think no problem I just need to install iPrint and it should be good to go, nope you have to be on the same wireless access point as the printer, are you freaking kidding me?

I too have multiple APs and that doesn't sound correct to me. I have never had to switch APs to print from an iPad. Something tells me the issue lies elsewhere as I usually find Apple stuff to be less hassle.

I personally have a Canon PIXMA printer and I'm able to print to it from either of my wireless routers. Canon has a separate app for their older printers that explicitly states the iOS device and printer have to be on the same AP. But the newer PIXMA printers don't.

This is why I asked how the printer is connected to the network. I was assuming it was an Ethernet connection to the router, but since Link Logger See Profile said "my Windows 7 64bit system sharing a HP 4P" I'm not sure what's going on.

Sounds like a HP or Windows Printer Sharing limitation, not Apple. Apple doesn't support native printing beyond a tiny subset of HP printers. Everyone else just has you download an app for printing.

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

The HP 4P is shared off a 32bit Windows 7 computer, the Epson Printer is connected via its own wireless connection, so it is just a device hanging off the network. The iPad is running Epson iPrint software and perhaps the problem is with Epson software as you have to switch to the correct wifi connection to print, whereas my Surface RT just works regardless of which wifi connection I use (ie its not dependent on a third party app to print).

Blake

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

I have an Epson Artisan 730 attached to my network, with multiple access points, and my sister is able to print to it using iPrint. The printer is connected with an ethernet cable, and the AP's all use the same SSID and password.

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

The printer here is connected wirelessly.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to Gem

Premium Member

to Gem
said by Gem:

Got one of those usb/parallel cables for an HP LaserJet 6L.

Hooked it up to a Win8 64bit computer.

W8 recognizes the computer and says the driver W8 auto installed is "working perfectly" but all the printer will print now is garbage and blank pages.

The same printer has worked fine on XP 32bit for what seems like 10 years or so.

That happened to me too.
I managed to correct that issue by doing one of the following things... but I don't remember which one or in which order I did these:

• Turn the printer off/on.
• Disconnect then reconnect the USB connection while the printer is ON.
• Delete the HP LaserJet 6L from Device Manager, then rescan for hardware changes to have Windows re-identify and refresh the drivers.
• Delete the printer from Device Manager and try adding it and configuring it manually choosing the port it's on and other options.

Eventualy, after trying this numerous times... Windows FINALLY got out of that loop where the hardware has been installed but not functioning correctly. It has never caused me problems after I got it working. I just remember this being an issue after setting it up after a re-install for the FIRST time. Good luck.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
I don't use an app for printing on the iPad as it natively uses AirPrint. The problem is finding a printer that supports AirPrint. To get around this I installed a program on one of my computers that emulates AirPrint and allows me to print to any printer that the computer can print to including printing to PDF. For me it's been a painless and trouble-free setup.
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

That happened to me too.

• Turn the printer off/on.
• Disconnect then reconnect the USB connection while the printer is ON.
• Delete the HP LaserJet 6L from Device Manager, then rescan for hardware changes to have Windows re-identify and refresh the drivers.
• Delete the printer from Device Manager and try adding it and configuring it manually choosing the port it's on and other options.

Good luck.

Already tried the first two steps without success. Will try the other two and hope for a good outcome.

Thanks.

jtudor
MVM
join:2002-12-07
Morganton, NC

jtudor to Link Logger

MVM

to Link Logger
I just got a new laptop with Win 8, and I was impressed that the computer found my wireless printer and installed it with out my knowledge. When I went to install the printer I found it was already there and working properly.

Well played Microsoft!