join:2006-04-15
UK

Buffering issues what is the cause?

I have a Networking related question now if someone could help;

Here is my current setup;

Netgear R6300 > Netgear GS105

My Media files are stored on a Readynas V2 Duo NAS
My Media player is a Dune HD D1

If I plug both the Readynas and the Dune into the 6300 or into the Netgear GS105 I get stutter from my Bluray rips and my test files and I have to enable a special option on the Dune called fast SMB to get any sort of decent playback via SMB.

However if I plug say the Readynas V2 into the R6300 and the Dune HD into the GS105 switch then my streaming problems go away and everything plays back really nice. SMB is great without enabling special options and all my test files playback perfectly.

What is the reason for this? I thought that they would work better being in the same switch not different ones?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
Interesting issue.

I would make sure that you have the latest firmware loaded on all devices and if yes then there must be some issue with the network interface --- the question becomes which device?

The way that I would approach this is make sure that each network interface is properly configured [full duplex] --- the R6300 LAN ports are full duplex --- and then try other network devices and see if all of they react the same way --- if they do then I would log a bug report with Netgear.

Netgear are using a unique Broadcom LAN chip that has some "smarts or intelligence" and that may be causing the issue with older technology.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

carnagerover

UK
I have the latest firmware on the Netgear R6300 Router, can you get firmware for the GS105 switch?

When I plug my PC into the switch it connects at 1GBps Full Duplex and my Readynas V2 Duo connects at 1GBps. The same when placed in the R6300. There are no options in either device to choose your link speed it is all Autonegotiation as far as I can tell it is all connected as it should be? Which is very weird as I thought grouping together items that talk to each other a lot was the preferred way to connect devices.

Really stumped on this but having them separate is the only way to get good quality fast streaming.

Whats weird is that both plugged into the R6300 causes a problem and both into the GS105 causes a problem, I would have thought one could cause an issue but not both.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
said by carnagerover:

can you get firmware for the GS105 switch?

Firmware for the Readynas V2 Duo
For the GS105 get firmware here.
And for the Dune HD D1
and finally for the Netgear R6300

If after you have the latest firmware installed the problem persists then file a bug report with Netgear via the MYNETGEAR account.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

carnagerover

UK
Thanks for the reply,

I have all the latest firmware for my devices, apart from I have the GS105 and that isn't the smart version so there is no firmware for that. I have ordered the GS108T-200;

»www.netgear.co.uk/business/produ···200.aspx

I am hoping this will help or if not at least make it easier to tell what the problem is by looking in the GUI.