MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to Msradell

MVM

to Msradell

Re: Move over mouse, Windows 8 shines with a simple touch

said by Msradell:

This entire thread sounds like people trying to justify Windows 8! It's a lame operating system with limited uses, just face it people ask me from going

It really isn't that bad. Once you get past the tablet oriented Start UI by adding a real start menu, it is a rather nice running OS. It's Windows 7 with a face lift and faster boot times.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Strictly speaking, when it's booting, it's not really booting: it's waking up from hibernation since shutdown doesn't really shut down the PC, it does a kernel hibernate instead.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
Agreed, it's quite nice. I've been running it for a couple of months on two PCs, with Start8 installed. It's been awesome so far.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Camelot One

MVM

to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

said by Msradell:

This entire thread sounds like people trying to justify Windows 8! It's a lame operating system with limited uses, just face it people ask me from going

It really isn't that bad. Once you get past the tablet oriented Start UI by adding a real start menu, it is a rather nice running OS. It's Windows 7 with a face lift and faster boot times.

I have a Technet subscription and have been running Windows 8 Pro RTM on an ASUS Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 tablet PC test system since its been available for download. I bought one license though and may buy one or two more before the price change,....

Just yesterday I installed Windows 8 pro 64bit on my Core i7 3930K / ASUS P8X79 Deluxe / 32GB DDR3 1600 / GTX 670 / 500GB Samsung 840 SSD / triple 27" monitor system. Secure Boot seemed to be a bit of an issue with respect to running other OSes but I think I got past that fairly easily. I'll have to test a bit more to be sure,...

IMO, I think people make a little too big a deal of touch support one way or the other. The interface changes aren't really difficult to adjust to either IMO or sidestep through the use of add-on apps. For now I'm OK with using the default Windows 8 start screen interface,...

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

2 edits

SysOp

Once I deleted everything I didn't want, the windows 8 start screen was cool. Just wish I could right click to add my own tiles. And you have to learn the keyboard shortcuts and the gestures to get the most out of it.