uniqs
Balplanman
join:2006-08-30
Newtown, CT

Balplanman to anon anon

to anon anon

Re: Been awhile since Charter increased speeds

said by anon anon :

Sure and you realize your U-verse pricing was also a promotion and when that ended you would not get that extended.

Fact is in my area 12 Mbps U-verse is $48 a month( non promo ) and 18 Mbps Uverse( if you can get it ) is $53 a month. Sorry Charter's 30 meg for $50 is better than either. Why would I pay $3 MORE per month for 40% LESS speed? And a $2 per month savings isn't worth a 60% reduction in speed either.

OK say you have 100 customers getting $30 promo That's $3000 a month for those 100 customers. Now say promo ends and the price goes back up to $50. Now let's say 30% of those customers leave. Charter still has 70 customers paying $50 a month which is $3500. A 17% INCREASE in income.

And even if 40% left you'd be at the same $3000 but Charter is better off because they have 40% less customers to deal with which means reduced costs. Now it's doubtful 30% will leave let alone 40%.

I agree it would be irrational for you to spend more to get less. But you're talking a couple dollars difference per month - I wouldn't change for that saving either.

I don't understand why you think I should not take advantage of a promo that saves me $39 per month and delivers equivalent service. If this means I must switch back and forth between ATT and Charter yearly to continue to get promo pricing (which Charter used to provide continuously if you asked) then I can (and will) do that.

You can make up straw man examples that "prove" your point but that doesn't work when you use the real numbers that Charter supplied to me. My street is short, just 10 houses, and I've talked to a few of my neighbors who asked how ATT is working out for me. They're interested because Charter's recent rate increase got their attention. So far, two neighbors said they intend to switch to ATT when their Charter contract runs out. This supports your 30% number - but it could increase because when an ATT truck shows up other neighbors will notice (small town USA).

For my street with 10 people, using Charter's promo rate of $117 they would collect 10*117=$1170 month. If all 10 paid the new rate then they would get 10*147=$1470 per mo. If 3 of us drop Charter (as seems likely) then Charter gets: 7*147=$1029 per mo. So, Charter loses $1170-1029=$141 per month on my street over simply extending their promo.

That is, using your 30% expected drop rate and Charter's actual numbers, Charter loses about 12% vs maintaining their promo rate.

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon

Anon

said by Balplanman:

I don't understand why you think I should not take advantage of a promo that saves me $39 per month and delivers equivalent service.

I didn't say you shouldn't I am making you aware those savings are temporay not permanent and at&t just like Charter won't extent your promo. At that time are you going to be on the u-verse boards posting about how it would be better for at&t just to extend your promo? If not why not?

You can make up straw man examples that "prove" your point but that doesn't work when you use the real numbers that Charter supplied to me. My street is short, just 10 houses, and I've talked to a few of my neighbors who asked how ATT is working out for me. They're interested because Charter's recent rate increase got their attention. So far, two neighbors said they intend to switch to ATT when their Charter contract runs out. This supports your 30% number - but it could increase because when an ATT truck shows up other neighbors will notice (small town USA).

For my street with 10 people, using Charter's promo rate of $117 they would collect 10*117=$1170 month. If all 10 paid the new rate then they would get 10*147=$1470 per mo. If 3 of us drop Charter (as seems likely) then Charter gets: 7*147=$1029 per mo. So, Charter loses $1170-1029=$141 per month on my street over simply extending their promo.

That is, using your 30% expected drop rate and Charter's actual numbers, Charter loses about 12% vs maintaining their promo rate.

And once their promos for at&t end they'll come back to Charter because they'll be eligible for Charter promos again which makes Charter far cheaper than at&t's regular pricing. Just like at&t's promo pricing is cheaper than Charter's regular pricing.

If playing musical ISPs every year is how one saves $20 a month then well that's their decision. Personally I think I would find some other way to save $20 a month. Constantly switching ISPs seems a bit of a pain in the behind.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to Balplanman

Premium Member

to Balplanman
said by Balplanman:

said by anon anon :

Sure and you realize your U-verse pricing was also a promotion and when that ended you would not get that extended.

Fact is in my area 12 Mbps U-verse is $48 a month( non promo ) and 18 Mbps Uverse( if you can get it ) is $53 a month. Sorry Charter's 30 meg for $50 is better than either. Why would I pay $3 MORE per month for 40% LESS speed? And a $2 per month savings isn't worth a 60% reduction in speed either.

OK say you have 100 customers getting $30 promo That's $3000 a month for those 100 customers. Now say promo ends and the price goes back up to $50. Now let's say 30% of those customers leave. Charter still has 70 customers paying $50 a month which is $3500. A 17% INCREASE in income.

And even if 40% left you'd be at the same $3000 but Charter is better off because they have 40% less customers to deal with which means reduced costs. Now it's doubtful 30% will leave let alone 40%.

I agree it would be irrational for you to spend more to get less. But you're talking a couple dollars difference per month - I wouldn't change for that saving either.

I don't understand why you think I should not take advantage of a promo that saves me $39 per month and delivers equivalent service. If this means I must switch back and forth between ATT and Charter yearly to continue to get promo pricing (which Charter used to provide continuously if you asked) then I can (and will) do that.

If you can save $39 a month for a year, which equals $468, which will pay for the first 9 months, at roughly $50 a month, of you signing back up for Charter after AT&T's promo ends, why WOULDN'T you go for it?

I know if I could get Uverse here and not have to use their phone line, I WOULD be playing the ISP hopping game. I probably would do this right now, if I knew for sure I could get Frontiers advertised speed of 25M download and if they still had dry DSL.

It's no more of a hassle, which is debatable as we all know what calling Charter is like, than calling Charter all the time to play that promo hopping game!
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned) to anon anon

to anon anon
said by anon anon :

If playing musical ISPs every year is how one saves $20 a month then well that's their decision. Personally I think I would find some other way to save $20 a month. Constantly switching ISPs seems a bit of a pain in the behind.

Well you see 20$/ mo may seem like NOTHING to CEOs at ATT and Charter, BUT for the ordinary joe it adds up to quite a bit over a year or more. So folks MUST play that idiotic game whether they like it or not IF they want the internet and want to be able to stay within a budget.

The fact is that the economy still is TERRIBLE for MOST consumers.

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon

Anon

said by 15444104:

Well you see 20$/ mo may seem like NOTHING to CEOs at ATT and Charter, BUT for the ordinary joe it adds up to quite a bit over a year or more. So folks MUST play that idiotic game whether they like it or not IF they want the internet and want to be able to stay within a budget.

The fact is that the economy still is TERRIBLE for MOST consumers.

OK so say Charter now just makes the $50 tier $30. Would people then expect Charter to offer a promo price still? And thus that promo price would have to be less than $30. And wouldn't those same people expect to keep that new promo price forever because after all $30 is just too expensive? Are you saying if hcarter lowere the price to $30 you would be quiet and never complain about the price again nor would you expect promo pricing?

By the way 25 Meg used to be $75 a month 5 years ago, then 30 meg was $58 now it's $50. Some how people are being ripped off even though speeds and pricing have dropped.

You know McDonald's should offer Big Macs for $1 all the time. I would go a lot more often if they did. I don't now how they expect regular people to pay $3 for a Big Mac. Stupid greedy McDonald's CEOs. Sure it's easy for THEM to pay $3 they're rich!
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

said by anon anon :

OK so say Charter now just makes the $50 tier $30. Would people then expect Charter to offer a promo price still?

No, because at 30$/mo that 30mb tier would be a FANTASTIC value and would drive a LOT of volume business which would still allow charter to make a tidy profit.

Are you saying if Charter lowered the price to $30 you would be quiet and never complain about the price again nor would you expect promo pricing?

YES!

The reason why is that if that 30/mo was the everyday regular price without a contract it would be a very good deal without all the promo nonsense! You know Charter would gain a LOT of good will if they would break the habit of the promo nonsense and just offer a very good value oriented everyday price with NO STRINGS ATTACHED.

Now of course I don't want or need 30mb and would prefer that they still offered a 3mb tier at 20/mo. But I would be more willing to stay with Charter if they were willing to be aware of different needs and requirements for different household budgets.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

1 edit

cork1958

Premium Member

I could not have answered that response any better myself, horseathalt7!!

Must eat out at McDonalds and Burger King every night also, to always be comparing those rotten apples to rotted oranges!