The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to unwired9

Re: [Tech Ops] MPLS

Ill tell you what I use MPLS for.

I still use OSPF for route distribution.

I create VPLS tunnels from each PoP to a core router, bridge in the APs or what-have-you that are going to be customer interfaces to the VPLS tunnel, then a core router does all the PPPoE termination. I use bridge horizons to keep traffic from flowing back out of the core router.

Your L2MTU is important for MPLS networks.
You do not need to use MPLS for pppoe, ospf works for that, but if you want central termination, then MPLS is definitely an option to look at.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

unwired9
Premium
join:2008-04-08
Algoma, WI

Is there an advantage to centrally locating your ppp termination - I was planning on terminating at each pop.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON

said by unwired9:

Is there an advantage to centrally locating your ppp termination - I was planning on terminating at each pop.

I used to do that, hated it.
Wasted IP space, had to constantly reconfigure to add IP addresses (no big deal if you are using private space I guess). Radius config was a pain.

It was just a central place to manage stuff, keep all the hard work on a core (powerful) router.
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

unwired9
Premium
join:2008-04-08
Algoma, WI

Ok - IP Space is my reasoning for changing to pppoe - I can centrally manage the ip pool while keeping NAS server closer to the customers. I guess more specifically is there an advantage to running mpls vs routing public ip's with ospf. To implement I would have to replace all of the routers on my network. Just trying to figure out if its justified and if I would see an improvement over straight ospf routing or would it be a lot of work for little gain.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON

Well unless you want to run VPLS VPN tunnels I wouldn't be switching.
Ospf won't degrade packet forwarding performance. It's just a route distribution protocol.

You don't really switch necessarily. I still use ospf alongside with mpls. You still need to have routes. MPLS works over current routing table wether its static or OSPF or BGP or whatever.
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

spectrumhead

join:2009-05-03
reply to Inssomniak

If you were running OSPF, why you were wasting IP space ?

It doesnt make any sense.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON

said by spectrumhead:

If you were running OSPF, why you were wasting IP space ?

It doesnt make any sense.

I dont really remember if I was, I think the problem I was having is if 13 PPPoE concentrators were hitting the radius server at the same time (say after a large power blackout), the radius server would inadvertently assign the same IP address to 2-3 different customers. At least with it all on one concentrator it would reject the duplicate IP and try again, although I have not seen that in a long time (perhaps my radius/database server was too slow at the time).

Another reason I went with central concentrator was the ease of adding in other access sites, it was simple to just add an IP, turn on OSPF, MPLS, LDP and assign a VPLS tunnel ID, and bridge in my APs. Keeps CPU usage low, and configs simple..
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

spectrumhead

join:2009-05-03

Yes as I am currently thinking about doing the same, centralizing the PPPoE server with MPLS, but all this MPLS and VPLS stuff seems so complicated to me.