dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pluto6
join:2013-01-26

pluto6

Too far from CO - any chance of getting hooked to a Stinger?

My current avg speed with Teksavvy hovers between 1 and 2.5 mb/s (non-interleaved based on my pings) on my 6 mb/s profile.

I know this is due to the distance from the CO. Back when I was with Bell I managed, after many many calls, to get hooked to a Stinger which significantly enhanced my connection quality - was able to get 20mb/s profile. When I was transferred to Teksavvy, it appears my connection was once again transferred to the CO.

Do I have any chances of getting reconnected to the Stinger now that I am with Teksavvy? Thanks.

TSI Alan
Premium Member
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

TSI Alan

Premium Member

Hello,

If you can transfer this over to Direct forum, along with your account info, we can look into it for you.

Thank you.
londoner1
join:2007-04-26
London, ON

londoner1 to pluto6

to pluto6
could someone expand on what a Stinger is...how it works and solves the problem for people located far from the CO? I use Cable due to being in such an area, never knew that any DSL option existed

Crowbar10
join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Crowbar10

said by londoner1:

could someone expand on what a Stinger is...how it works and solves the problem for people located far from the CO?

The Lucent Stinger DSLAM is often located in a remote closer than the CO , thus solving the distance issue . Some CO's have Stingers in them also ...
londoner1
London, ON

londoner1

ok so the copper line from my house would run to the CO and possibly pop in and out of Bell 'boxes' along the long journey. Some of those 'boxes' may have Stingers and if space (open ports) was available i might be able to get moved onto one. This wold in effect negate the problem of being on the edge of the CO service area....

any chance a listing exists of stinger co-locations in London?

I'm making an assumption that space must be limited on these devices otherwise wouldn't Bell just automatically place people on them

Crowbar10
join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Crowbar10

You should post in » ··· avdirect and ask to be put on a remote . BELL could put you on a CO just because they can and to screw with TPIA ( your not their customer so they don't care) . You may not get full speed if you're too far away . This applies to DSL only . Cable is not as reliant on distance ....

NytOwl
join:2012-09-27
canada

NytOwl

Be advised, however, that Bell has been known to occasionally switch a TPIA customer from a remote DSLAM back to a CO DSLAM, in order to make room on the remote DSLAM for one of their own customers. They get preferential treatment when a remote DSLAM is full.

It's rare, but I came across this scenario a couple of times when working at Primus. I have no idea about the legality of such a practice, however.
londoner1
London, ON

londoner1 to Crowbar10

to Crowbar10
I'm on cable......but in the 12 yrs I've lived in this area...DSL (which I tried) was limited by distance to the CO....now my next door neighbour still uses Bell (he's gets into a significant discount - Bell Retiree)..and the 2mb/800kb is sad (his phone is faster lol).....he catches up with a bunch of his former co-workers often enough so I'll mention that finding out about some Lucent equip deploys on the path...
Jaxom
join:2012-03-10
East York, ON

Jaxom to NytOwl

to NytOwl
said by NytOwl:

Be advised, however, that Bell has been known to occasionally switch a TPIA customer from a remote DSLAM back to a CO DSLAM, in order to make room on the remote DSLAM for one of their own customers. They get preferential treatment when a remote DSLAM is full.

It's rare, but I came across this scenario a couple of times when working at Primus. I have no idea about the legality of such a practice, however.

It happened to me a lot and then I finally gave up on DSL and switched to cable.

It is a game Bell does to piss off third party ISP users. Every time I complained I was put back on the remote. How could I get back on the remote if there wasn't enough room in the first place and justified why I was moved? After a few months they would switch me back to the CO.

All a farce to harass third party customers.