Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

officederamo

join:2004-09-22
Pomona, NY
reply to officederamo

Re: Cannot connect to static IP computer

Thanks for the replies and help, it is very appreciated.
I had the office wired using an ethernet splitter but most of the PC's are directly connected to the Optimum router. I am not sure exactly which piece of equipment is off the split.

Here is an even stranger issue. When I ping using pingplotter from home (Optimum as well) I get 100% packet loss on 2 PC's and I connect about 5% of the time on a 3rd.
But if I run pingplotter from an office PC it has a perfect response from every single PC with zero packets lost.

I finally used the router for my LAN (the 5th IP) to port forward to the PC that I use and I am connected perfectly.
I guess I will replace and test all the NIC's in each PC to see if that resolves the issue.

officederamo

Pomona, NY
I am not sure why or how but the problem has now completely resolved itself completely on its own. This morning smokeping shows as of 4:50am a perfect 29% packetloss.
Cablevision ...???!!!

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
said by officederamo:

Cablevision ...???!!!

Unlikely if some IPs work and others do not.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
reply to officederamo
said by officederamo:

I had the office wired using an ethernet splitter but most of the PC's are directly connected to the Optimum router.

What is an ethernet splitter? This may very well be the problem. You should have a hub or a switch at the minimum. unless that is what you mean by ethernet splitter.

said by officederamo:

Here is an even stranger issue. When I ping using pingplotter from home (Optimum as well) I get 100% packet loss on 2 PC's and I connect about 5% of the time on a 3rd.

Where does pingplotter show the loss occurs.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

officederamo

Pomona, NY
The splitter is just where the electrician did the wiring so that we can access both WAN and LAN's. Splitter is probably the wrong term but I don't the technical term.

The IP's after about 7 hours have reverted to not responding. The last hop before the static IP is 67.59.229.234.

I am also an Optimum SIP truck customer and my network consultant is asking that dept for help too. We'll see what happens.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
Could you tell us a little more about your local network? Does each computer have a single network connection with one of your static IP addresses?
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
kudos:1
reply to officederamo
said by officederamo:

The splitter is just where the electrician did the wiring so that we can access both WAN and LAN's. Splitter is probably the wrong term but I don't the technical term.

The IP's after about 7 hours have reverted to not responding. The last hop before the static IP is 67.59.229.234.

I am also an Optimum SIP truck customer and my network consultant is asking that dept for help too. We'll see what happens.

Ugh oh. The SIP product is deployed from a separate cable modem and SIP proxy box (commonly referred to as a Back-to-back user agent). How is your IP-PBX connected to that B2B box?

Under NO circumstances should you use a SHARED ethernet segment (= switch) between the LAN side of the DPQ3925 static-IP router and the LAN side of the IP-PBX/B2B-box, or even the LAN side behind your NAT router: You MUST keep that traffic truly separate+private - the risk of conflicting IP spaces and host IPs (between what your NAT'd network uses and what the IP-PBX and possibly your VOIP phones use) is just too great: This is beyond your skill level.

I am highly suspicious about your statements that "whatsmyip" (do you mean »www.whatsmyip.org/ ?) is showing you different IP addresses from the same machine at different times - at ALL times should it show you the same IP out of your pool of 5 statics. If it doesn't, your machines are clearly changing networks (more than one DHCP server in the same ethernet L2 space!), and you have some shared ethernet (layer-2!) connecting something improperly. However: I can't think of a scenario that would make whatsmyip to display anything but a publicly routed IP, ever - it should never ever be capable of displaying private RFC1918 addresses (192.168.x.x among others).