Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to FirebirdTN

Premium Member

to FirebirdTN

Re: Very tough to troubleshoot issue-Network guru's please help!

Thanks for the feedback Alan! Good to close out a thread.
FirebirdTN
join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN

FirebirdTN

Its baaaaaccckkkkkkk.

I'm only reviving this thread in case some network guru's have any thoughts. I'm 99.9% convinced its an ISP issue though.

I created a new thread in the comcast section here at DSL reports to see if anyone over there has any ideas.

I wrote a batch file that I could quickly run when the issue comes up, My batch file pings my modem (on the WAN side of the USG50) and then pings the ISP gateway (my first hop). When the issue came up, I COULD ping the modem (proving traffic is moving from LAN to WAN and back on the router), but the gateway timed out. Once the issue cleared the gateway started responding to pings again.

For more info (in case you can help) my new thread is here:

»momentary internet issues-help..

Thank you,

-Alan
FirebirdTN

FirebirdTN

One final update to my thread here. It is DEFINITELY ISP related. I figured before I start raising hell, I at least had to attempt to eliminate my equipment as the source of the issue.

I reluctantly pulled the USG50, and put my WRT54GL back in just as a test since this issue came up shortly after putting in the USG50.

Within minutes of putting the WRT back in, my wife was complaining about the internet on her ipad again, and I happened to be logging pings to my modem and ISP gateway at the same time on my wired connection, and sure enough...ISP gateway was timing out. Once her ipad started working again, the gateway started responding again as well.

Problem is definitely ISP.

-Alan
windphantom
join:2013-01-31

windphantom

These things do happen from some weird ISP.

I had similar problem a few years ago. The ISP provided a gigabit Ethernet connection (bandwidth is restricted to 100M) to my home directly (no login required). I noted the WAN light of my Zywall keeps on blinking even though I have no computer connected. Firewall logs show nothing, no one try to flood me or something. Then, my Zywall suddenly dead, I cannot even ping or login from the LAN side. Rebooting the Zywall will resolve the issue. But after a day or so, the Zywall is dead again. I end up terminated the service after the contract.

Another bad experience was with a cable tv connection (no login required). Standard browsing/pinging behind the Zywall was fine. However, any traffic via the VPN tunnel is 50% loss. i.e. if you ping 4 packets, 2 packets pass thru, 2 packets loss. It was so annoying that I didn't use the service at all.

In both case I cannot complain or blame the ISP because standard browsing is perfectly fine.

After that, I only subscribe to stable or famous ISP, even though their price may be a bit higher.