Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

2 edits

IowaCowboy to fatmanskinny

Premium Member

to fatmanskinny

Re: [Connectivity] Purchase your own modem = Comcast interfering

I was at Best Buy today and they now have the Motorola 6141 for the same price they were selling the 6121 for (currently $99.99 at the Holyoke Mall BB).

I would return the 6121 and get the 6141 as that supports 8x4 channel bonding.

The Best Buy 6141 comes in a white case but with the same design as the 6121 (except the case is white instead of black).

Edit: I also found out that there is now the 6180, which is also 8x4 channel bonding.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

The 6180 has been out for a long time and was one of the first 8x4 modems, but I'm not certain if Comcast ever supported it.

fatmanskinny
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Wandering
·AT&T FTTP

3 edits

fatmanskinny to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Thanks. I just headed to Best Buy and picked one up. In addition to updating the firmware on my routers and killing the DHCP server in my Vonage box (it sits behind the router, not before it), I will have Comcast add the new modem later today and see what happens.

I will return the 6121 back. Thanks again.

EDIT: So I connected the 6141 and seem to be rocking and rolling. However, I discovered another issue. I am using 2 Linksys 54GLs with open source software. They have 10/100 port connections. When I connected my modem directly to my laptop, it switched to 1000 throughput.

The bottleneck is in the routers. I have to get a newer router in the near future as I am losing about 300% of my available download bandwidth when connecting through the Linksys routers. I pull 35/6 directly connected to the modem and 7-8/5 through the routers.

I will probably keep the Linksys as a separate wireless LAN for visitors and work-related projects and use the new wireless LAN for personal surfing and my Vonage service.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.
KitFox
join:2002-10-09
Denver, CO

KitFox

The custom firmware on the routers will probably have the SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) firewall activated by default. It allows things like Javascript and specific web sites and such to be blocked. Unfortunately it also demolishes the CPU of all but the most hardy of routers. I have a router with a very hefty CPU. Routing gigabit internally is a fraction of a percent of the CPU normally. The firewall spikes the CPU and network handling and reduces the usable bandwidth tremendously.

Try turning off the firewall feature of the router and see if that helps.