Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to garys_2k

Re: EXTREME freezing temperatures - What to worry about?

There's a reason building code specifies exhaust vents for fuel burning stoves (I.e. your range hood) must be vented to the outside, and have a source of make-up air; most commonly tied to the HRV these days..

Ventless heaters, ranges, grills, etc all produce carbon monoxide - more efficient and properly adjusted ones produce less, but they all produce some, as a product of combustion... Ventless heaters and ventless gas fireplace logs are against code in Canada for a reason. Using a BBQ grill indoors is just stupid.

As for remote car starters, also by code, the garage must be sealed from the occupied portion of the house, and the seal must be gas proof, including caulking around all penetrations; the door must have a gasket, and an automatic closer... It's also code that there is no air exchange (heat vents or returns) within the garage space.

It's foolish to run your car in the garage for extended lentghs of time with the garage door closed, but the law has taken steps to protect people from themselves...

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
said by LazMan:

It's foolish to run your car in the garage for extended lentghs of time with the garage door closed, but the law has taken steps to protect people from themselves...

sadly in my experience here in the montreal area there is a hell of a lot of houses in the montreal area built pre 1970 with forced air heat that have a return AND heat duct in the garage. My usual recomendation for these is seal them and install a pair of electric baseboards set to +/- 12c

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

As for remote car starters, also by code, the garage must be sealed from the occupied portion of the house, and the seal must be gas proof, including caulking around all penetrations; the door must have a gasket, and an automatic closer...

In-law's place in Montreal has an attached garage. The door to the garage does not have an automatic closer. The living spaces above (8 units, I think) do not have carbon monoxide detectors.

I don't think people are stupid enough to run a car in a closed garage, but the cars can be started accidentally. Suppose a 3 year-old starts playing with the buttons on a keyfob.

I never heard of a requirement that residential gas ranges/ovens have an exhaust vent.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

There's a reason building code specifies exhaust vents for fuel burning stoves (I.e. your range hood) must be vented to the outside, and have a source of make-up air; most commonly tied to the HRV these days..

I guess propane and natural gas ovens are exceptions, but again, I'd use a CO detector at least for peace of mind.