spc
Search similar:

uniqs

philcord
@comcast.net

philcord

Anon

CBS should re release The Amos & Andy TV show from the 1950s

One of my favorite television shows of all time is Amos & Andy. I remember watching it when I was eight years old on WPIX channel 11 in New York. A year or so later, I started to see the show on WCBS channel 2 during the week, when I didn't have school or was on vacation. Then without warning, the show was taken off the air, it seemed never to be heard from again. This was the first all black comedy show to be seen on television. It had high ratings when shown for the first time from June 1951 to June 1953. They made 78 episodes. What happened, CBS started to get pressure from the N.A.A.C.P. during production to take them off the air because they said they were stereotyping black people and making them look in a bad way. They were no different than the Marx Brothers, Abbott & Costello or the Three Stooges except they were black. In 1966 CBS withdrew the Amos & Andy from syndication from the entire country. The show centers around the antics of George "Kingfish" Stevens, head of the Mystic knights of the Sea Large Hall played by Tim Moore. His wife Sapphire played by Ernestine Wade. Andy Brown played by Spencer Williams. Algonquin J Calhoun the Lawyer played by Johnny Lee. Amos Jones the cab driver played by Alvin Childress and Lightnin' the Janitor to name a few. In many of the episodes Kingfish is trying cheat Andy out of something usually money. In other episodes the Kingfish is trying to hide a bad deal he made from his wife. You can now see all but six episodes of Amos & Andy on the internet. Today Amos & Andy is harmless fun, compared to what's out there and should again be seen on TV.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

CBS should re release The Amos & Andy TV show from the 1950s

Buy DVD whole set at Amazon:
»www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_ ··· 50303011

If have a Netflix DVD subscription:
»dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Th ··· 70090230

They are in Public Domain and can be streamed from here: