uniqs

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Dodge Dart commercial: Rolling bass sound: How done?

I love the bass sound in the Dodge Dart commercial, but how is the musician playing the bass, with a slide? With effects pedals? It's such an innovative sound.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Maybe post a link to the commercial?

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

There seems to be a series of them, with the same theme, a fast talking narrator telling how to make a cool car, with a sense of humor to it.

Here's one:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· wGkwJWzw

I am a former musician and I'm fascinated by the sound of what seems to be a bass guitar played by someone with real chops.

I stopped liking cars a number of years ago after seeing so many people die or suffer horrible injuries due to collisions, I don't romanticise motor vehicles any longer, but when I was about 19 I had a Dodge Charger, and it was, well, very fast and I drove it to its limits, but back then I was, erm, invincible (well, I thought so). I am still a Mopar man I suppose, but no longer desire muscle cars and limitless gasoline, I just want to get where I need to go without any harm.

Anyways, the commercials are sorta cool.

EDIT:

Another one:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Gep4v6Mg

Crash Gordon
Zero Tolerance For Stupid
join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA

Crash Gordon to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
It's probabaly synthesized, but if it is a real bass being played, it's probably a fretless (possibly a 5 string) with some effects like a little distortion and a flanger or phase shifter.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I was thinking flanger too. But I failed to think of it being a precision bass (fretless), that definitly makes sense. It's so darned cool sounding. If it is part of a song, I want the song!

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
My vote would be that its a keyboard synthesizer. I remeber when I found out the Seinfield music wasn't really a bass.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

That wasn't? Wow. Even for a former musician (me), that is fascinating. Must be a sampler then.

fourboxers
Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto

1 recommendation

fourboxers to signmeuptoo94

Mod

to signmeuptoo94

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 7gNi3Nr4

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Totally electronic the bass ( actually about an octave high for a bass ) line, they been doing that for decades, you can tell as each lick is identical, just like a drum machine.

Most of this has been available since the early 80's, now with a PC and a decent sound application, you can make any sound imaginable, no need for musicians .. or instruments

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Another vote for it being a loop...

That said - there are some very funky and cool sounding "bass-related" instruments out there... Check out the Chapman Stick, for instance.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch ··· an_Stick

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· DDxFgL7I

Or the funk fingers...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· XvAPjO5g

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

signmeuptoo94 to fourboxers

Premium Member

to fourboxers
Wow, such a depressing video. I'm not sure what all he is saying, but that is entirely too violent. No wonder kids are violent today...