VirtualLarry
Premium
join:2003-08-01
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to jricha83

Re: Verizon is using Sandy as an excuse to force people to FiOS

said by jricha83 :

I was told that the reason is the bottom line: house calls to fix copper-related problems are being phased out, and replaced by a central help desk for fiber.

The real reason is that the copper techs are all union, and the FIOS techs are not.

It's about gaining monopoly control over the network (no pesky telco regs), and busting unions.

reallarry

@verizon.net

said by VirtualLarry:

said by jricha83 :

I was told that the reason is the bottom line: house calls to fix copper-related problems are being phased out, and replaced by a central help desk for fiber.

The real reason is that the copper techs are all union, and the FIOS techs are not.

It's about gaining monopoly control over the network (no pesky telco regs), and busting unions.

copper and fios techs are both union. real reason is vz doesnt want to maintain 2 parallel networks. if u owned vz would u want to pay to maintain copper and fiber?

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1

Bottom line;
Copper is regulated
Fiber is unregulated
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
join:2000-03-26
Mount Vernon, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to VirtualLarry

said by VirtualLarry:

said by jricha83 :

There are not two separate entities. A tech is a tech. They are all union.

jophan
Premium
join:2009-07-12
Jenkintown, PA
reply to miataman

Bottom line;
Copper is regulated
Fiber is unregulated
Also not entirely true. It depends on the services you have. POTS is regulated, DSL is not. If you transfer to FiOS for maintenance reasons and resist being upsold to a package, your voice will still be regulated and the data will still be non-reg.