All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jamiem
join:2013-01-26

jamiem

No 4G Yet :(

I bought a jetpack from Millenicom recently. They told me I was in an excellent signal area. I have had this hotspot almost a month. So far, I've only received 3G signals, and sometimes -- like now, only get 1X speeds. I also keep having multiple dropped connections.

I work from my home on a desktop PC.

Millenicom said I need a desktop antenna. 3G store told me a roof top antenna would be better but to go on the roof and see if device goes into 4G mode. Going up on the roof did not put device into 4G mode. I have taken modem into other areas in more urban areas and it does go into 4G there. Thus, the device is capable of 4G.

Weather seems to also affect my speed. We've had rain here the past few days and that's when I noticed the huge drop in speed from 3G to 1X.

What do I need to buy to get preferably 4G, but at least consistent 3G? 4G would be SO nice.

Please help me. Thank you.
rekees
join:2007-03-23

1 edit

rekees

"they told me" I'd check the Verizon 4G coverage map. It may be more accurate than what you were told by a salesman.

Far as I know from reading here at DSL, there is not yet an antenna available for the Jetpack?

All I can suggest is that you try different locations within your house. The higher the better. It's been my experience that moving it just a few feet can make a big difference. Look at the RSSI reading as you move it. The lower the number, the stronger the signal. Note that it takes maybe a minute for the RSSI reading to adjust as you move around.
Max Signal
Premium Member
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal

Premium Member

There are lots of antennas for the 4620 . It has an antenna port . Millenicom sells a great one for a reasonable price
Max Signal

Max Signal to rekees

Premium Member

to rekees
»www.millenicom.com/page/ ··· essories
jamiem

jamiem to rekees

to rekees
Thank you. I was told by the President of Millenicom personally on the phone and by a sales person on a separate call.

My point is that I don't know whether to buy an antenna or some type of signal booster at all because when hubby went up on the roof, and when we walk around with the jetpack, there is NO 4G signal anywhere around here.

Millenicom says I need a desktop type antenna and 3G store says a roof top but only if the signal is improved by taking the device on the roof. It wasn't any better on the roof.

Sorry for the confusion.
Max Signal
Premium Member
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal

Premium Member

Maybe there is no 4G tower in your area yet . The antenna Millenicom sells can be used on your desk or on your roof . They work great if you place by a window indoors , no need to even get on the roof.

All 4G rollout by Verizon is scheduled to be done by 4th quarter this year .

jferris33
Comcast Extreme TG862G Gateway
join:2003-04-09
Lusby, MD

jferris33 to jamiem

to jamiem
I had a similar problem when I got my Jetpack from Millenicom - no 4G signal at my house. I took the Jetpack and my laptop in my car and drove towards the nearest cell phone tower and about 1/2 mile from my house I was able to pick up a 4G signal.

My suggestion is to locate the nearest cell phone tower to your house and then to drive to it and see if you can pick up a 4G signal. By doing that you will be able to establish if you are actually within a 4G signal footprint.

If you are then it is time to start looking at antennas and perhaps a booster as well. You can start off with one of the antennas that Max Signal or the 3G store recommends and make sure that you can return it if it doesn't work out. If the antenna by itself doesn't do the job then you might also need to invest in a signal booster (amplifier). Make sure that any antenna and/or booster that you buy works with the frequency used by your provider (Verizon) for 4G. I believe that is 700 MHZ in most cases.

Also make sure to get the proper antenna adapter for your Jetpack - the antenna by itself will not connect to your Jetpack, it requires an adapter with the proper plug for the device your are using.
student5
join:2012-12-24
Los Angeles, CA

student5 to jamiem

to jamiem
Just to clarify … when you type your address into the Verizon coverage locator and click the "4G" toggle button and submit your information on that site, does it read that you have 4G coverage?

There is an implication in this thread that you were mislead by Millenicom and we all need to know if we can trust them. Please let us know.
jamiem

jamiem

NO! I am not complaining at all about Millenicom. They were very nice and the President of the corporation even called me back when I did complain about a price within 15 minutes.

I want to know HOW to get my speeds up to 4G.

Up until now, I have no looked online to see my area coverage. But I just looked and my area shows that I can get 4GLTE for my entire area.

Thank you.

Jamie
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

open the web interface for the 4620 and look at the RSSI and SINR ... Advanced>Diagnostics ... what are the numbers?
stevewm
join:2012-06-25
Brookville, IN

stevewm to jamiem

to jamiem
Just a FYI.. I am in the "Extended 4g" area according to Verizon's coverage maps. When I first got my Jetpack it would only lock on to a 3G signal, it would not find 4g at all. I already knew I had 4G service however because I have a 4G capable phone as well that did pick it up.

The only way I got the Jetpack to find 4G service was to switch it to LTE Only mode. Once I done it, after it rebooted it found 4G service with 3 bars steady. 15Mbps down/7Mbps up.

You can find this setting on the Jetpack's web interface. On the WWAN tab if I remember correctly. Change it to LTE Only and click Apply, it will reboot once you do this.
cbobby7
join:2009-06-14
New Windsor, MD

cbobby7 to jferris33

to jferris33
said by jferris33:

I had a similar problem when I got my Jetpack from Millenicom - no 4G signal at my house. I took the Jetpack and my laptop in my car and drove towards the nearest cell phone tower and about 1/2 mile from my house I was able to pick up a 4G signal.

When VZ lit up LTE in my area, after going thru many months of low Sprint Speeds, I jumped on the Millen Jetpack. My experience was similar to yours...but even worse...much less than a 1.4 mile I had 3G, a 1/2 a mile I had full 4G. At my house...no signal.

(Millen product return was seamless, as I kept the Unlimited Sprint service)

Isn't the VZ LTE signal less robust...in terms of penetrating trees, and filling in along a less than totally flat terrain?

Someone posted here (Max?) that VZ was planning on going up to a 1900 signal from the current 800(?) because of this problem.

Feel free Corrrect an details ablt the signal that I got wrong.

(PS I'm still on Sprint...as they upgraded many towers in my area)
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

Verizon LTE is 700 MHz, it has much less propagation/penetration issues than Sprint at 1900 MHz
bcltoys
join:2008-07-21

bcltoys to jamiem

to jamiem
I'm 5 mile's from the nearest lte tower and live in heavy timber my 4620 and my Razr both get 4g at my house all by them self's out side.I do need and antenna to get the signal into the house. If these guy are as close as they say they are from known lte towers something is wrong with these devices or the towers are not what they think they are. Or higher terrain is in between them and the tower. It also could be phantom coverage I/E maps show coverage for a tower not yet live. That happened to me for four months.
jamiem

jamiem to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
Right now RSSI 60%, (-84dBn) if that is the right info. I've got two bars on the signal strength. I've never had more than three bars with this device - ever. But, it sure beats dial up. TY. Jamie
jamiem

jamiem to bcltoys

to bcltoys
I don't know where our tower is, but the land here is flat and arid. There aren't any obstructions anywhere near here. I will try driving around with the device and trying to find where the closest tower is. I also was told about a website where I can type in my address and find the towers. Thank you to everyone. You are all so helpful over here. Jamie
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to cbobby7

to cbobby7
I think you have that backwards on the signal to penetration.. I've always understood that the lower the number, the better the penetration.. meaning 800 will do better than 1900.. I'm having issues with 3g on verizon in my area because of the frequency used.. But in theory 4g would be fine... ATT has both voice and lte/hspa+ on 800 and 700 signals, so technically they have the show here in Dickson, TN
jamiem

jamiem

Something weird happened a few weeks ago -- SUDDENLY, without having to buy any extra equipment -- I have 4G all the time! I can't believe how fast it is. I also can't believe the difference between my 3G and 4G. Night and day. I did a speedtest.net the other day and my download speed was 15 mbs. Unreal. Thank you to everyone. I am a VERY happy camper.
rb5505
join:2013-02-06
united state

rb5505 to jamiem

to jamiem
jamiem,
what is your zip code?
stenman
join:2007-03-07
Salinas, CA

stenman to jamiem

to jamiem
Forget about the coverage maps unless you live in an area that is perfectly flat for miles around your house and the nearest towers. All the cell tower signals are line of sight. 4G will travel further than 3G but the 1xRTT voice cell phone signal is likely to be the strongest from any tower as that is the bread and butter of the cell phone companies.

With line of sight signals the higher the tower and the higher the receiver the greater the distance. That is why a roof top antenna was recommended as it will put the antenna 20' higher. A roof top directional antenna can also be aimed in the direction of the tower and this also greatly helps with the strength of the signal you can get at your location.

If you had two bars and need three bars for a stable connection then a small inside antenna might work. If you have no bars then your only hope is to start with the roof top antenna, a LMR-400 cable from it to your mifi and then hope for the best. Still not enough of a signal you can buy for $200 a RF signal booster that goes between the cable for the antenna and the 4620LE jetpack.

At my house I need both the roof top antenna and the signal booster to get a usable signal to the 4620LE or any other 3G/4G modem even though we are less than a mile from the closest cell tower with a Verizon 4G transmitter. The signal booster run off 5-15V power with a wall transformer for use in a building but you can power them off a cigarette lighter connection in a vehicle and improve your signal while traveling and get double duty from your investment. Only need to get a mobile antenna for the vehicle and a different cable with the necessary adapters.

Wpsantennas.com and similar places are good for getting advice on what to buy in the way of an antenna and a booster and cables and all the connectors needed to hook it all up from A to B to PC.