elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0

Re: Are police handing out traffic tickets to meet quotas?

TPS Peformance Objectives :

Priority: Ensuring Pedestrian and Traffic Safety (One goal removed; remaining
goal revised)
The traffic on Toronto’s roadways affects almost everyone within the City and was a consistent theme at
public meetings held early in 2008. It was also identified in the Service’s community survey as one of the
most serious problems affecting neighbourhoods. The safety of pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers and the
safe and efficient flow of traffic are, therefore, of significant concern to the Toronto Police Service. Mobilizing
local communities to respond to local traffic problems will assist in sustaining successful efforts and
improving neighbourhood roadway safety.
Goal:
Increase traffic enforcement and education to better protect the safety of pedestrians, cyclists,
and drivers.

»www.torontopolice.on.ca/ ··· ties.pdf

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

what i would like to see is how much revenue tickets bring in vs how much it actually costs to generate said revenue...while people may often talk about $$$, i'll bet the actual money (when factoring in all the costs associated with it) aren't really that great...for example, sure, they may pull in $40 million in tickets, but what if they spend $50 million to get it?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

That's an invalid comparison. You're paying that $50 million no matter what and that number doesn't change unless you start laying off officers directly which is typically political suicide and something never done.

Knowing that you're going to be paying these costs regardless, you may as well have them generating some sort of revenue. Even if $40 million only offsets a portion of their costs, it's better than nothing and being out that $50 million in its entirety.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

what i would like to see is how much revenue tickets bring in vs how much it actually costs to generate said revenue...

Locally we have the courthouse as a static charge as the criminal and civil divisions are in the same place. We have a provincial prosecutor that does all HTA and municipal bylaw (parking/zoning) and some other offences. There are 4 support staff that I can tell that include court clerks and staff to collect fines at the office. So I would say a half million a year in costs. As to what we bring in in fines is anyones guess. You have all the HTA (lots of Toronto toadies on the weekends in the summer), parking tickets, smoking tickets, bylaw infractions and probably 20 other venues that are prosecuted under the POA so I would suspect several million.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

That's an invalid comparison. You're paying that $50 million no matter what and that number doesn't change unless you start laying off officers directly which is typically political suicide and something never done.

Knowing that you're going to be paying these costs regardless, you may as well have them generating some sort of revenue. Even if $40 million only offsets a portion of their costs, it's better than nothing and being out that $50 million in its entirety.

my point is, if that $50 million investment in police was used to investigate crimes, gangs, murders, etc, would that actually prove to help "lower crime" and other more serious things...instead, police get tied up issuing tickets and going to court when people fight them.

what i am saying, is essentially that i agree with you guys...i think having a $100k/year officer wasting time with menial traffic infractions is a waste of time...blowing through red lights, excessive speeding, drunk driving, etc...sure, i get it...but when i watched that show, the amount of ridiculous ticketing was mind blowing...especially when in a couple of cases, the city should change the signs and/or change the road infrastructure to accommodate their intentions.