From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4
reply to mdseuss

Re: [Equipment] Build Your Own PBX Under US$16

said by mdseuss:

I am looking for an embedded alternative to run pfSense (even if only with dual Ethernet interfaces). Recommendations?

Either get a router with lots of RAM / Flash or build your own using any NAS + an RJ45/USB dongle. In either case, make sure each device is supported by any Linux embedded project, i.e. OpenWRT. The PogoPlug mentioned above is one of them.

I recently acquired some Seagate GoFLEX NET devices from some Fry's Electronics stores for US$9.99 each. Also, I just purchased some of this USB 2.0 to RJ45 10M/100M Lan Ethernet Adapter for US$3.00 each. Once I receive this RJ45/USB dongles, I can easily convert my Seagate Dockstar / GoFLEX NET into a router to run OpenWRT.
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

mdseuss

join:2012-05-27
Worcester, MA

Thanks Mazilo, I hadn't considered USB-Ethernet to add a second port to my dockstar. I love OpenWRT for lots of things but I really, really love pfSense for firewall (more than OpenWRT).

I'm going to order a few of those $3 USB/Ethernet adapters for fun!

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA

2 edits
said by mdseuss:

Thanks Mazilo, I hadn't considered USB-Ethernet to add a second port to my dockstar. I love OpenWRT for lots of things but I really, really love pfSense for firewall (more than OpenWRT).

I'm going to order a few of those $3 USB/Ethernet adapters for fun!

I just wanted to let you know that according to this post, the performance of an RJ45/USB dongle is horrible. I have yet to find out myself. However, I believe as long as the RJ45/USB dongle is configured as WAN, that will probably reduce some of the overhead unless there will be a lot of WAN traffics.

EDIT: Beware that it takes times to ship your products from China to your premise, especially the new Chinese Spring Festival is around the corner. During this time, the Chinese will take off for a two weeks vacation, IIRC.
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to mazilo
Hey, thanks for the lead on those dongles! I may need to add a Ethernet port to my Smoothwall Express box (running under Virtualbox in my Windows Home Server) and those look very good. I can see the hit on CPU usage, best to use them for low traffic subnets.

mdseuss

Worcester, MA
reply to mazilo
For $3 and some delay, I'm not expecting much!

I'm also quite happy with my $20 TP-Link TL-WR703N units with the same low expectations. They are really small and usable when running OpenWRT. I'm using one now as an SSH-tunnel gateway to a difficult to manage network. (And running from USB provided +5V has its advantages for 'placement' over 12V devices!)

For my 'production' needs, I will buy a more capable embedded device to run pfSense. Soekris? or something like that.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
said by mdseuss:

For $3 and some delay, I'm not expecting much!

OK and that's fair.

For my 'production' needs, I will buy a more capable embedded device to run pfSense.

Does OpenWRT support pfSense?
--

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA

1 edit
reply to mdseuss
duplicate post

mdseuss

Worcester, MA
reply to mazilo
pfSense is a *BSD based O/S with firewall app and runs on bare metal (or VM)

So there are surely appliances that run OpenWRT and NOT pfSense but probably not the other way around.

Assuming a Soekris device uses about 9 or 10 watts, it would take 5-6 years of runtime to 'pay for itself' compared to my 29W PentIII device ... food for thought.

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA
reply to mdseuss
said by mdseuss:

I am looking for an embedded alternative to run pfSense (even if only with dual Ethernet interfaces). Recommendations?

This may interest you:

»Re: Need advise on setting up Asterisk/PBX.

mdseuss

Worcester, MA

Hardly,

thanks, both useful links!

Chamux

join:2013-03-16

1 recommendation

reply to mazilo
I'm sorry to resurrect this, but I ordered this device and it is not the one shown in the link Mazilo provides to Arch Linux.

said by mazilo:

ArchLinux has some information on how to hack this device to run its OS that has both Asterisk and FreeSWITCH. This device is powered by a Marvell Kirkwood ARM processor clocked @800MHz with 128 / 128 MB RAM / NAND, an SD slot, a SATA port, and a Gigabit Ethernet port.

The V4-A1-01, also known as Pogoplug Mobile doesn't have a removable cover with a SATA connector underneath.

I still can't figure out how to run Linux on this device, since it seems a different procedure is needed. Now I am only hoping I can eventually use it as a little LAMP server.

I should have done a little research, but I found out about it on another post a day before the sale ended and rushed to order it.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
said by Chamux:

I'm sorry to resurrect this, but I ordered this device and it is not the one shown in the link Mazilo provides to Arch Linux.

I apologize if the link misled you. I thought the difference between this device and the one on the link was the USB3.0 ports. Sorry and it was my bad.

I still can't figure out how to run Linux on this device, since it seems a different procedure is needed. Now I am only hoping I can eventually use it as a little LAMP server.

I believe the procedure shown on ArchLinux should probably work just fine for your device. Basically, it involves on flashing the device with a new u-boot from Jeff Doozan so that it will recognize a Linux partition found on a USB port to boot. That's exactly how we hacked a Seagate Dockstar.
--

Chamux

join:2013-03-16
Thank you, I'll try that after I seek for more information. The possible outcome of bricking a device is still scary for me .

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
said by Chamux:

Thank you, I'll try that after I seek for more information. The possible outcome of bricking a device is still scary for me .

That's true even for everyone. For that, it is imperative to contemplate for a USB serial-console and/or a JTAG cable. These days, you can get a combination of both cable (a.k.a 2-in-1) very inexpensive from China. Or, build one from some known cellphone sync/data cable.
--